The Student Room Group

Student Maintenance Loan HELP HELP HELP

I will be starting a full time course in September 2017. It is a 1 year course, it's a foundation course in art and design and I will be studying it at Bournemouth and Poole college.

I will be 19 at the start of the course and I understand how to apply for student finance to pay for the tuition fees on the course and know that there are bursaries in place to help with course costs and transport however as I live alone and currently support myself by working full time to pay for rent I don't know what to do with that.

This one year corse will enable me to go to university the following year in september 2018 and from then on I will be able to claim student maintenance loans to help cover my rent, but from what I can see I can't claim student maintenance unless I'm studying a degree.

I really want to do the course so that I can get to university but I don't know where I can find support to help pay for my rent whilst I study as as a student most places are saying I would also be unable to claim any income support and I obviously wouldn't be able to maintain a full time job whilst studying full time also so please please please could anyone send me some help or advice on what I can do to help pay for my rent and study for the following year?
Original post by georgiewhitez10
I will be starting a full time course in September 2017. It is a 1 year course, it's a foundation course in art and design and I will be studying it at Bournemouth and Poole college.

I will be 19 at the start of the course and I understand how to apply for student finance to pay for the tuition fees on the course and know that there are bursaries in place to help with course costs and transport however as I live alone and currently support myself by working full time to pay for rent I don't know what to do with that.

This one year corse will enable me to go to university the following year in september 2018 and from then on I will be able to claim student maintenance loans to help cover my rent, but from what I can see I can't claim student maintenance unless I'm studying a degree.

I really want to do the course so that I can get to university but I don't know where I can find support to help pay for my rent whilst I study as as a student most places are saying I would also be unable to claim any income support and I obviously wouldn't be able to maintain a full time job whilst studying full time also so please please please could anyone send me some help or advice on what I can do to help pay for my rent and study for the following year?

Hi
I have a few friends who are in your situation who have applied for foundation course at UAL
I done A level ART & Design with Eduqas how about you?

But they are living witrh there parents I believe
It depedns if the uni offers accom
As you are turning 19 you have to pay for the foundation course ( i heard that if your are 18 at the start of the couse it is free)
why dont you meet up a couple of people who applied for the same course and renta house together- it will save you a lot of hassle
Reply 2
Original post by ShadowSeeker
Hi
I have a few friends who are in your situation who have applied for foundation course at UAL
I done A level ART & Design with Eduqas how about you?

But they are living witrh there parents I believe
It depedns if the uni offers accom
As you are turning 19 you have to pay for the foundation course ( i heard that if your are 18 at the start of the couse it is free)
why dont you meet up a couple of people who applied for the same course and renta house together- it will save you a lot of hassle

I will be turning 20 shortly after I start, I believe the course starts on the 3rd and my birthday is on the 22nd so I know that I'll definitely be paying the course costs.

I haven't yet had the chance to meet anyone on the course but everyone that was there on the interview day (around 20 so I imagine most of my class) looked between 16 and 18 and most arrived with their parents so I wouldn't think many people would be looking to house share on that course.

I have a house share sorted with some friends if I can get to uni but until next year they're all living at home.

Unfortunately I cannot live with my parents as sadly they are not around anymore, so I really need to find some kind of finance to help me with my rent. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending