The Student Room Group

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zoemary
If yuo can do the prediction paper do you think anyone will do fine?

Exam spotting is always going to be risky. Personally I think those questions are likely but I could well be totally and utterly wrong.

Nevertheless, it's better than learning a single past paper mark scheme.

Your call.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxperkins519
How do you guys recommend i revise for the it3 wjec exam on the 16th of June? I want to get an A* but I have been focusing on my other linear a levels and have a really bad teacher who's unqualified to teach the course. I have already achieved 197 ums in my first year for the AS and have achieved full marks for my coursework this year, however I need 72/90 marks in the exam to get an A*. I have started memorising the mark schemes for simple topics such as networks and the databases etc but i am struggling with longer questions on topics such as the system development life cycle and the 8-10 mark questions about the internet and MIS. Has anyone got any tips or ideas of what is going to come up? Thanks.

I've made 4 word document of revision notes for this exam which has helped alot. I can email it over if you want? direct message me your email if so mate
i currently have 215 UMS, how many UMS do i need for a B overall?
Original post by PedanticStudent
Depends on how mentally drained I am on the day - I have C4 after IT3 so might be too knackered to do it, also my last exam is on the following monday so this will take priority.

But yes I probably will make one, should be able to do it reasonably quickly as I've got that question pack. Any new questions will just go off the textbook.

Thanks
Appreciate all the work youve put into this thread
I've some concerns about this question:

The reason being is because I have a memorised answer for all other questions about the internet which talks about CONTROL of the internet (most other questions have the word control in it).

However, this question's mark scheme doesn't really relate to the control of the internet questions.

So should I prepare a separate answer for this question you think?

Also, the Summer 2010 and Summer 2011 papers have a similar question about the moral, social or ethical issues of the internet (no mention of the word "control"). However, their mark schemes do have some bits and bobs taken from the control of the internet questions so its kind of the same as the control of the internet questions(ish).

Again do you think I should prepare a separate answer to this question though?
Original post by mayhs98
I've some concerns about this question:

The reason being is because I have a memorised answer for all other questions about the internet which talks about CONTROL of the internet (most other questions have the word control in it).

However, this question's mark scheme doesn't really relate to the control of the internet questions.

So should I prepare a separate answer for this question you think?

Also, the Summer 2010 and Summer 2011 papers have a similar question about the moral, social or ethical issues of the internet (no mention of the word "control"). However, their mark schemes do have some bits and bobs taken from the control of the internet questions so its kind of the same as the control of the internet questions(ish).

Again do you think I should prepare a separate answer to this question though?

I memorised the ownership and control question, but as long as you can bend the answers round to fit the question context concerned you should be fine. This is because the mark scheme allows 'any relevant point' which is VERY rare for IT so do take full advantage of the opportunity on offer haha.

As for the 18 mark question, just forget about it haha - you really, really, really are better off doing databases in section B instead.

The mean mark for that question is so low suggesting its marked particularly harshly anyway. I suspect it is there to kick the weaker candidates while they are down by presenting what seems (at first) to be a common sense question.

The pic shows a question about the concerns of privacy, security and abuse of personal data on the Internet yet half of the mark scheme goes on about the advantages of social networking. Avoid it like the plague.

An 18 mark question has never been up in section A. I dread to think what would happen to the average mark if they put one there, so there is no need to worry.

If this question comes up as an 8 mark variation or something in section A then I would imagine that the mark scheme would be sorted out properly as only a minority of candidates select that question over databases at present.

If that does happen, then I do believe that 'any relevant point' will also be permitted so don't panic about it.

Example: you could bring in cyberbullying or grooming to demonstrate the abuse of data on the Internet (Misuse of social media from the ownership and control question)

Privacy is also a concern: employers may monitor social media and form prejudices and emails may be monitored in the work place... (Privacy from the ownership and control question)

Hacking is also a concern: Internet traffic is relatively easy to capture which could be misused to blackmail / personal information could be leaked online. (Hacking from the ownership and control question)

Other areas from ownership and control that you could bend round are:

- Incitement to violence
- Illicit material
- Lack of policing
- Censorship
- Accuracy

These will probably be a bit tougher to adapt but regardless, you're probably gonna pick up 4/8 at least whatever happens
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi, I am back, IT1 went very well and tomorrow is the IT3, can't wait!
Original post by Jamesa9283
Hi, I am back, IT1 went very well and tomorrow is the IT3, can't wait!

Welcome back.

I am interested in asking you a couple of things seeing as you thought the IT1 "went very well".

How did you revise the course, mark schemes, textbook? Both?
How many marks do you think you dropped?

I am curious to know how you answered/acquired the knowledge for the "current and future developments in health" and "three ways in which ICT is used to control the hospital" questions, along with what the sensors measure in hospitals. Did you use common sense or something else?

Thanks and good luck for the IT3 - I can't quite say I am excited but am very well prepared.
What's the fourth requirement needed to offer online shopping?
I have the
Trained staff to maintain website
Database of stock database of customer orders
Original post by lemonandlime1
What's the fourth requirement needed to offer online shopping?
I have the
Trained staff to maintain website
Database of stock database of customer orders

Maintaining a company website / need for trained staff

Catalogue of stock / stock database

Methods of secure payment / shopping cart

Table of customer orders

Email confirmation / order tracking
My IT teacher created a resource booklet with all information about the topic from the inset by WJEC. I then focuses my revision around that and hoped to god I'd remember it. The three new developments were; prosetetic limbs, blood barcoding, PET scans and the like. The control of the hospital came from common sense so for example a doctor checking a patients health status from his office. The sensors were; intercranial pressure, oxygen saturation sensor and other I have now forgotten. A question similar about scans and blood barcoding came up a few years back so I memorised that answer for the rest.

I did my revision through past papers and I seem to have lost a total of 7 marks going through the paper with my teacher.

At this very moment I'm just going through all of the IT3 past papers memorising all of the mark schemes. The 15 year old is still going, although very exhausted!

Good luck to you tomorrow, I'm sure you won't need it.

James
Original post by hehexd
i currently have 215 UMS, how many UMS do i need for a B overall?

280 ums for B overall.
I memorised the ownership and control question, but as long as you can bend the answers round to fit the question context concerned you should be fine. This is because the mark scheme allows 'any relevant point' which is VERY rare for IT so do take full advantage of the opportunity on offer haha.

As for the 18 mark question, just forget about it haha - you really, really, really are better off doing databases in section B instead.

The mean mark for that question is so low suggesting its marked particularly harshly anyway. I suspect it is there to kick the weaker candidates while they are down by presenting what seems (at first) to be a common sense question.

The pic shows a question about the concerns of privacy, security and abuse of personal data on the Internet yet half of the mark scheme goes on about the advantages of social networking. Avoid it like the plague.

An 18 mark question has never been up in section A. I dread to think what would happen to the average mark if they put one there, so there is no need to worry.

If this question comes up as an 8 mark variation or something in section A then I would imagine that the mark scheme would be sorted out properly as only a minority of candidates select that question over databases at present.

If that does happen, then I do believe that 'any relevant point' will also be permitted so don't panic about it.

Example: you could bring in cyberbullying or grooming to demonstrate the abuse of data on the Internet (Misuse of social media from the ownership and control question)

Privacy is also a concern: employers may monitor social media and form prejudices and emails may be monitored in the work place... (Privacy from the ownership and control question)

Hacking is also a concern: Internet traffic is relatively easy to capture which could be misused to blackmail / personal information could be leaked online. (Hacking from the ownership and control question)

Other areas from ownership and control that you could bend round are:

- Incitement to violence
- Illicit material
- Lack of policing
- Censorship
- Accuracy

These will probably be a bit tougher to adapt but regardless, you're probably gonna pick up 4/8 at least whatever happens

Ah ok yeah thanks for the reassurance.

My main points in my memorised answer for control of the control of the internet are:

Whos owns the internet - nobody. It is international.
Material which would be illegal if prined in hard copy is freely available on the internet although some countries have started to control what can be seen on internet etc.
Some say internet should be cencored - but who will do the cencoring and how can centrallised control be implemented.
No guarantee that any info posted on internet is accurate or correct. Some websites giving medical advice have provided wrong information etc.
Do we have the right to the privacy of our emails and data files? Do we have the right to encrypt our data.
One Control mechanism is ISPs banned use of torrent sites etc.
Misuse of social media leading to paedophiles and stalkers, cyberbullying on chatrooms, blogs, text messaging etc.

Yeah id defo take the database question for section B for sure. Just hope that 18 marker dosent come in section A like you said haha
280 ums for B overall.

need to get 57marks in the exam then, maybe 60 just to be sure thanks
Anyone can explain the difference between
Data integrity
Data consistency
Data redundancy
Please
Original post by lemonandlime1
Anyone can explain the difference between
Data integrity
Data consistency
Data redundancy
Please

Data integrity refers to the accuracy / truthfulness / correctness of data.

Data consistency is using one file to hold a central pool of data, for example, a company may hold all of its information in one single file which is good as it means that data only has to be changed once as there is not more than one file, therefore data remains consistent throughout all instances.

Data redundancy is where an item of data is stored more than once. For example, a company may hold its information in different files. This is wasteful as it means that data has to be entered multiple times over and over again across all of the different files. Generally, data which is repeated unnecessarily is called redundant data.

Consistency and redundancy are often mixed up by candidates and tbh they are a load of BS. It is just a case of dumping down your mark scheme answer.
Data integrity refers to the accuracy / truthfulness / correctness of data.

Data consistency is using one file to hold a central pool of data, for example, a company may hold all of its information in one single file which is good as it means that data only has to be changed once as there is not more than one file, therefore data remains consistent throughout all instances.

Data redundancy is where an item of data is stored more than once. For example, a company may hold its information in different files. This is wasteful as it means that data has to be entered multiple times over and over again across all of the different files. Generally, data which is repeated unnecessarily is called redundant data.

Consistency and redundancy are often mixed up by candidates and tbh they are a load of BS. It is just a case of dumping down your mark scheme answer.

Thank you, I wasn't getting confused because I kept writing down that data only needs to be changed once for all of them
I think a sneaky question they could ask would be "how management could lessen any worries / fears because of the new it system".

(Note that this answer is different to naming the actual fears of the workforce and last came upnin winter 2014 and summer 2011 only).

Also there was one in winter 2012 talking about consequences of change which is similar to the fears of the workforce answer but again a little diff (changes to organisational structure , work patterns altered , internal procedures changed and fear of the workforce - naming a fear).

Thoughts?
Original post by mayhs98
I think a sneaky question they could ask would be "how management could lessen any worries / fears because of the new it system".

(Note that this answer is different to naming the actual fears of the workforce and last came upnin winter 2014 and summer 2011 only).

Also there was one in winter 2012 talking about consequences of change which is similar to the fears of the workforce answer but again a little diff (changes to organisational structure , work patterns altered , internal procedures changed and fear of the workforce - naming a fear).

Thoughts?

The winter 2012 one I think is gonna be repeated tomorrow.

However the fears of the workforce (without how to lessen the fears) came up last years as an alternative to databases.
Original post by maxperkins519
Any one got any questions that they would recommend revising?

Teleworking

Features of a HCI for a child learning how to spell/read

Features of a good HCI

Have a look at my predictions paper:
http://jacktilson.net/dl/mocks/IT3-2017-predictions.pdf

Mark scheme:
http://jacktilson.net/dl/mocks/IT3-2017-predictions-ms.pdf

Quick Reply