The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

How Lenient is the University of Westminster with Grades?

Hi,

I'm a third year (retake) student at college and I have applied to study English Language and Linguistics at the University of Westminster in Central London. I am worried about whether I will be accepted after a dodgy set of exams.

I applied with a strong personal statement - DofE, expressed interest in linguistic texts, volunteered, good grades at secondary school, etc. - and got offered a conditional offer from all of the unis I applied to. My first choice is the University of Westminster, who offered me the following conditional, based on my current courses:

I am studying BTEC Music Production, BTEC Media Production, BTEC Business and most importantly, A Level English Language.

To my surprise, I was offered the conditional of 'passing' just two of my three BTECs - one at distinction level, and one at merit level. The conditional also stated that I needed to achieve a B in English Language. I have already informally received my results for my BTECs, and I have achieved two distinction star grades and one distinction grade. To my knowledge, this is the UCAS point equivalent of A*AA. So, I am obviously way past the threshold for these qualifications, which just leaves me with English.

I am predicted a grade C, and I was predicted the same last year but attained a B grade at AS. I feel as though I have completely flunked my English Language exams, and am therefore fearing that I won't get the B grade at A Level.

So, after taking into account all of that, I return to the title question: how lenient are universities with grades? I've got way more than what was asked of me in my BTECs - but may not have achieved a B in the subject which is most important, in relation to the course I want to study. I have been told that linguistics courses are hardly ever oversubscribed...

If I don't get the B, how likely am I to get accepted into Westminster? I'm asking this question so that I know my options when it comes to it on results day.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by rubenastley
Hi,

I'm a third year (retake) student at college and I have applied to study English Language and Linguistics at the University of Westminster in Central London. I am worried about whether I will be accepted after a dodgy set of exams.

I applied with a strong personal statement - DofE, expressed interest in linguistic texts, volunteered, good grades at secondary school, etc. - and got offered a conditional offer from all of the unis I applied to. My first choice is the University of Westminster, who offered me the following conditional, based on my current courses:

I am studying BTEC Music Production, BTEC Media Production, BTEC Business and most importantly, A Level English Language.

To my surprise, I was offered the conditional of 'passing' just two of my three BTECs - one at distinction level, and one at merit level. The conditional also stated that I needed to achieve a B in English Language. I have already informally received my results for my BTECs, and I have achieved two distinction star grades and one distinction grade. To my knowledge, this is the UCAS point equivalent of A*AA. So, I am obviously way past the threshold for these qualifications, which just leaves me with English.

I am predicted a grade C, and I was predicted the same last year but attained a B grade at AS. I feel as though I have completely flunked my English Language exams, and am therefore fearing that I won't get the B grade at A Level.

So, after taking into account all of that, I return to the title question: how lenient are universities with grades? I've got way more than what was asked of me in my BTECs - but may not have achieved a B in the subject which is most important, in relation to the course I want to study. I have been told that linguistics courses are hardly ever oversubscribed...

If I don't get the B, how likely am I to get accepted into Westminster? I'm asking this question so that I know my options when it comes to it on results day.

Thanks in advance!

I've just moved ( or in the process of) moving your thread over to the Westminster Uni forum, I'll also tag the official rep as well @University of Westminster.
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
I've just moved ( or in the process of) moving your thread over to the Westminster Uni forum, I'll also tag the official rep as well @University of Westminster.

Thank you!
Thank you!

They should be along tomorrow to answer your question, if someone else doesn't.
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Hi there

If you don't achieve a B in your English A Level it will depend on how low a grade you get as to whether you will be accepted into Westminster. It's likely that we may well accept a C grade as you have done so well in your BTEC's. But please don't worry unduly at this stage. Students often feel they have performed far worse in their exams than they actually have and are often shocked and elated when they hear they actually got really good grades. People going for job interviews also feel this way, coming out of the interview thinking they performed badly then they are offered the job the next day. If you have concerns once you receive your A Level grade then you should phone the admissions team directly to discuss your application.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending