The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am also going to upload resources from AQA. You can also find other resources for your texts if you search 'aqa resource packages english'. The resources I am uploading go in order of:

AQA example answer to crime extract
AQA commentary on crime extract
AQA example answer for Atonement and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
AQA text overviews for: Atonement, Death of a Salesman, Hamlet, Othello, Tess of the d'Urbervilles and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
Reply 141
Hi Guys

Hope revision is going well :smile:

Was hoping someone would be able to share some essays on tragedy and social/political please?

If you have any that are A/A* quality, please do send!

Thanks
Reply 142
For tragedy I'm doing King Lear, Death of a Salesman and Keats. Keats is awful, and we were taught Gatsby last year but apparently my teacher seemingly didn't read the spec properly and we can't use that!

For crime we're doing Mariner, Oliver Twist and When will there be good news.
I'll just add myself to this thread!!

I'm doing tragedy with King Lear, Death of a Salesman and Keats Poetry and then crime with Atonement, Brighton Rock and the selection of poetry!!

For AS my school got A-D grades with mainly Bs :')
Reply 144
Has anyone got any sample questions from mocks etc for tragedy and social/political?
Does anyone have any good revision sources for keats?
Original post by Helfus
For tragedy I'm doing King Lear, Death of a Salesman and Keats. Keats is awful, and we were taught Gatsby last year but apparently my teacher seemingly didn't read the spec properly and we can't use that!

For crime we're doing Mariner, Oliver Twist and When will there be good news.

It's really frustrating because the Keats poems don't lend themselves to tragedy very well, whereas DOAS does. I'd much prefer to write a full answer on DOAS rather than split an answer between the two like we have to tomorrow.
First A2 lit exam tomorrow. Doing Othello for the first two sections, then DOASM & Keats for section C (Paper 2 will be doing Blake, Doll's House & The Kite Runner). If anyone has some good revision resources for those texts that'd they'd recommend, I'd appreciate some links. I'm also really hoping the Othello extract is kind as last year for AS the Othello extract was awful.
Good luck all taking this exam tomorrow though.
Original post by srdavison123
First A2 lit exam tomorrow. Doing Othello for the first two sections, then DOASM & Keats for section C (Paper 2 will be doing Blake, Doll's House & The Kite Runner). If anyone has some good revision resources for those texts that'd they'd recommend, I'd appreciate some links. I'm also really hoping the Othello extract is kind as last year for AS the Othello extract was awful.

Good luck to you too. I'm also doing Othello and DoaS tomorrow, although I'm doing Tess of the d'Urbervilles instead of Keats.
Reply 149
Original post by ctm2199
Does anyone have any good revision sources for keats?

I know this might be last minute since the exam is literally in like a few hours but if you have the time, I wrote a few notes on my blog.

I study:
Othello
Death of a Salesman
and John Keats' Poetry

Goodluck to everyone sitting the English Literature exam :smile:!
Exam finished. The Othello extract wasn't what I wanted, but it certainly wasn't bad with plenty to say about the handkerchief, hell, race, power in relation to tragedy for example. I then picked the the second question of section B about Othello being placed in a society he doesn't know. Then I chose in section C the question about the protagonist always invoking pity. Overall it was a fairly good exam though I feel, especially in comparison to AS last year!
Reply 151
Exam finished. The Othello extract wasn't what I wanted, but it certainly wasn't bad with plenty to say about the handkerchief, hell, race, power in relation to tragedy for example. I then picked the the second question of section B about Othello being placed in a society he doesn't know. Then I chose in section C the question about the protagonist always invoking pity. Overall it was a fairly good exam though I feel, especially in comparison to AS last year!

I feel like the extract and the questions were fine. Not as horrible as I anticipated.

I did the same questions but I didn't quite get to finish the last question on the suffering that tragic protagonists experience always invoke pity... probably because I had too much to say about the extract and the other question... or just my timing was bad HAH

I'm sure everyone did fine though (:
(edited 6 years ago)
Not keen on extract. Did the weakness question for Othello and the happiness question for DOAS and Keats.
Reply 153
I really didn't like the extract. Probably my worse section! The first Othello question was really wordy. The Section Cs were very nice! I could have comfortably done either :smile:

I did exactly the same questions as you. I wasn't keen on the extract at all, although I managed to get 4 pages out of it somehow. The Othello questions both had a decent amount of scope and for Section C I could really have done either. I agree with you, on the whole it was fairly good, despite the extract!
Reply 155
any grade boundaries predictions?
Original post by Jmie1
any grade boundaries predictions?

By the sounds of the mess some of my classmates made of it, not too high. However, you guys on here seem much better (although I know us TSRians are not representative), so who knows?
Original post by CatusStarbright
I did exactly the same questions as you. I wasn't keen on the extract at all, although I managed to get 4 pages out of it somehow. The Othello questions both had a decent amount of scope and for Section C I could really have done either. I agree with you, on the whole it was fairly good, despite the extract!

I think I managed 10 pages overall and just about finished the final section. As for grade boundaries, if we're being realistic Literature grade boundaries are rarely different. I'm guessing like 50 marks for a C/B. Positive first exam though!
I think I managed 10 pages overall and just about finished the final section. As for grade boundaries, if we're being realistic Literature grade boundaries are rarely different. I'm guessing like 50 marks for a C/B. Positive first exam though!

I squeezed about 15 pages out - my hand hurt so much! Yes, it was a good start to the Lit exams :smile:
Reply 159
Hey guys, I'm doing crime (looks like a lot more people are over social protest).

Does anybody have any exemplar exam responses they'd like to share, or any resources in general? I got an A* in the mock, but that was back in January and my teacher lost the paper, so just want to remember what I'm actually meant to do, haha.

Latest

Trending

Trending