The Student Room Group

Why don't people eat their 5 a day? It's Incredibly easy.

I don't see why it's so hard. The first thing I do in the kitchen in the morning is to have some water and a piece of fruit, that's one banged out early. If I'm at school I'll have another piece of fruit at break time, at lunch it's extremely easy to have something like a cheese, tomato and cucumber sandwich, that's now 4 in total and you've got hours to have the last one.

A lot of people I meet/talk to don't seem to understand how easy it is; a lot of them can barely manage I or 2 a day, whereas I find it easy to have at least 9-10, if not more, during the day. People say they can't be bothered to do it, is it really so hard to eat apples and lettuce? It doesn't have to be expensive and these foods are much better for you than chocolate and crisps. Why wouldn't you have at least 5 fruits and vegetables a day?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Glassapple
I don't see why it's so hard. The first thing I do in the kitchen in the morning is to have some water and a piece of fruit, that's one banged out early. If I'm at school I'll have another piece of fruit at break time, at lunch it's extremely easy to have something like a cheese, tomato and cucumber sandwich, that's now 4 in total and you've got hours to have the last one.

A lot of people I meet/talk to don't seem to understand how easy it is; a lot of them can barely manage I or 2 a day, whereas I find it easy to have at least 9-10, if not more, during the day. People say they can't be bothered to do it, is it really so hard to eat apples and lettuce? It doesn't have to be expensive and these foods are much better for you than chocolate and crisps. Why wouldn't you have at least 5 fruits and vegetables a day?

I was going to answer this when I saw it in the sidebar...
Reply 2
Some of us are just lazy

or don't like eating fruit
Reply 3
some people don't really like vegetables or fruit
also some people can't be bothered to buy fresh fruit and veg regularly
Why doesn't everyone have a girlfriend? It's so easy, you just ask them and then they say yes and you have a girlfriend.
Reply 5

I'm going to PM about this:h:
Why should I eat 5 fruits and vegetables a day?
Reply 7
There's a difference between a piece of fruit and an actual portion, though. Unless you're really overfilling your sandwiches, there would usually only be enough tomatoes and cucumber in the kind of sandwich you mentioned to count as one portion max. Not to mention that there was a report not that long ago (maybe some time last year?) which basically said that the 'five a day' guideline is completely arbitrary and that most people get by just fine with about 2 or 3.
Original post by Reality Check
I was going to answer this when I saw it in the sidebar...

Then you realised I was the OP and thought you shouldn't?

Original post by iqra2159
Some of us are just lazy or don't like eating fruit

Why? It's requires extremely little effort to buy and eat it.

Original post by Beth_H
There's a difference between a piece of fruit and an actual portion, though. Unless you're really overfilling your sandwiches, there would usually only be enough tomatoes and cucumber in the kind of sandwich you mentioned to count as one portion max. Not to mention that there was a report not that long ago (maybe some time last year?) which basically said that the 'five a day' guideline is completely arbitrary and that most people get by just fine with about 2 or 3.

A portion is defined as handful, fruits that fill your hand like apples and oranges are a portion. Obviously one grape isn't a portion.
(edited 6 years ago)
Then you realised I was the OP and thought you shouldn't?

:lol:

Because no-one cares.
Original post by stoyfan
Because no-one cares.

I do and many others do. It's easy and good for you, I don't see why you wouldn't.

Original post by Reality Check
:lol:

I'm not as bad as many other people on here. I do actually post constructively, look at the posts I've made today about A-levels.
It's an unrealistic target for a lot of people, you wouldn't understand being a rich kid
Atkins
Reply 14
Come on now, you don't have to be rich to buy fruit and veg
I'm not as bad as many other people on here. I do actually post constructively, look at the posts I've made today about A-levels.

I know this. Why do you think I will defend you when I think it's warranted? You make excellent posts in SH - the tendency to bait people for your own amusement is less constructive...
Original post by Kravence
It's an unrealistic target for a lot of people, you wouldn't understand being a rich kid

How is it unreasltic? You don't have to be rich to buy fruits and vegetables, it's very cheap in many places. My fruits and vegetables cost more than yours, but that doesn't meet you can't shop somewhere else and eat at least 5 of them a day.
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't like the taste of a lot of fruit and veg.
Original post by jelly1000
I don't like the taste of a lot of fruit and veg.

What about ones you might like you might not have tried? Would you eat a strawberry sweet? If so, why not a real strawberry?
Reply 19
Some of us are a bit older and don't have mummy making us packed lunched or cooking us dinner uno :rolleyes: -- coupled with responsibilities, i.e. job, general business throughout the day, etc. Some days I can hit 5 but consistently, 7 days a week? When you grow up you'll probably understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending