The Student Room Group

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Can stuff that came up on the 2016 paper come up again?
Original post by AminaNessa
Can stuff that came up on the 2016 paper come up again?

Sure, no reason why not.
Original post by maxperkins519
You think URL web crawler and boolean search are gonna come up? And will MIS come up on section B or A in your opinion? i swear it changes every year.... one year its on section b then section a....? and their is also a pattern when they ask you to write up a table in section B and stating the primary and foreign keys. One year they ask this, the next year they don't. Do you think they'll ask it again? I hate those questions. I feel sorry for those last year because it could have been 7 marks lost easily in section B.

Cant really be sure for MIS tbh, there is no rhyme or reason for it these days. For web crawler and boolean etc, I just threw them in there because they were simple and hadn't come up in ages.

Although there does seem to be a general pattern that the table formation question appears every other year (meaning if this pattern holds true then there will be no table question this time)

You really hate those questions? I don't think that bad in my opinion. It can sometimes be difficult to spot where the last mark will come from in terms of placing the final field in the right place. The trick is to read the question very thoroughly and pick out key words like "customer" and "car" and "rentals" then you should be able to come up with the tables and then by applying further details in the question, you should be able to see which foreign key goes where.
Original post by PedanticStudent
The winter 2012 one I think is gonna be repeated tomorrow.

However the fears of the workforce (without how to lessen the fears) came up last years as an alternative to databases.

Yes indeed. So maybe they may even ask lessening of fears/worries without the actual fears itself (possible)

Consequences of change may well come as well yes its only featured in Winter 2012 if im correct?
for this question

Describe 2 different methods of system maintenance using examples (6marks)

you get 1 mark for identifying a maintenance method, 1 mark for explaining what it does and another for an example right?
Original post by hehexd
for this question

Describe 2 different methods of system maintenance using examples (6marks)

you get 1 mark for identifying a maintenance method, 1 mark for explaining what it does and another for an example right?

yes that is correct
do you predict any SDLC questions coming up?
correct me if i'm wrong but i think it has only come up twice, last year and in jan 2012, both times asking about the design phase.
i don't know if i should take this as that if it does come up, its going to be on design as usual or it definitely won't be on design since it's only been on that so far.
thanks
Original post by cursloid
do you predict any SDLC questions coming up?
correct me if i'm wrong but i think it has only come up twice, last year and in jan 2012, both times asking about the design phase.
i don't know if i should take this as that if it does come up, its going to be on design as usual or it definitely won't be on design since it's only been on that so far.
thanks

Examiner complained about the design question being the "worst answered question on the paper" last year, so maybe it will come back? - I don't know, ready for anything rn anyway.

I put a couple of SDLC questions in my predictions I think

http://jacktilson.net/dl/mocks/IT3-2017-predictions.pdf
Hi. I got a C overall in AS (can't remember the exact UMS, sorry!), and I'm on 98 for my A2 coursework. Does anyone know what kind of mark I would need tomorrow in the A2 paper to get a B overall? Thanks.
Original post by hancocktara
Hi. I got a C overall in AS (can't remember the exact UMS, sorry!), and I'm on 98 for my A2 coursework. Does anyone know what kind of mark I would need tomorrow in the A2 paper to get a B overall? Thanks.

Somewhere around the C grade in IT3 so about 62/90 or so to give B overall.

Good luck.
Examiner complained about the design question being the "worst answered question on the paper" last year, so maybe it will come back? - I don't know, ready for anything rn anyway.

I put a couple of SDLC questions in my predictions I think

http://jacktilson.net/dl/mocks/IT3-2017-predictions.pdf

I am right in saying theres 3 diff types of HCI questions to learn (features of HCI to help disabled ppl, design of HCI and why important, needs of expert and novice user) ?
OK everyone, I'm off

Best of luck tomorrow all! - Don't be cramming too much into the night, make sure you get some rest.

It has been a good run, make sure you all come back after the exam at some point tomorrow so we can discuss how it went:biggrin:
Original post by hancocktara

you would need:
minimum - 57/90 (64 ums)
maximum - 69/90 (83 ums)

and for an a:
minimum - 82/90
maximum - 90/90
Original post by mayhs98
I am right in saying theres 3 diff types of HCI questions to learn (features of HCI to help disabled ppl, design of HCI and why important, needs of expert and novice user) ?

Disabled users

Factors to consider when making good HCI

Factors to consider when making HCI for child learning how to spell. - make sure you know this!! Its probably gonna be there. Appeared in Summer 2014 last time.

Expert and nocice users

Best of luck!
Disabled users

Factors to consider when making good HCI

Factors to consider when making HCI for child learning how to spell. - make sure you know this!! Its probably gonna be there. Appeared in Summer 2014 last time.

Expert and nocice users

Best of luck!

Oh yeah that mark scheme for the hci for hci for child learning how to spell is quite different to the normal design of hci question.
Does anyone know the grade boundaries ?
Original post by beanmaker
Does anyone know the grade boundaries ?

last year it was

78 - A
70 - B
62 - C
54- D
46 - E
Describe using 3 examples the difference between legal & moral issues in regards to the code of conduct (6marks)

Can anyone help me with this question? i get the disinformation point in the mark scheme but none others :s-smilie:
Original post by hehexd
Describe using 3 examples the difference between legal & moral issues in regards to the code of conduct (6marks)

Can anyone help me with this question? i get the disinformation point in the mark scheme but none others :s-smilie:

1. employment patterns - work force affected as people are de-skilled through the arrival of ict as their skills are no longer required so they lose their jobs

this basically means some workers who did things manually e.g. a file clerk will lose their job as they are no longer needed because data is now stored on computers and not on paper anymore

2. equity - better and new technology needs to be payed for, only richer organisations can afford it, allowing only them to have more access to information

this means that there is inequality. richer organisations can afford new technology and better access to information while poor organisations can't afford it.
Original post by cursloid
1. employment patterns - work force affected as people are de-skilled through the arrival of ict as their skills are no longer required so they lose their jobs

this basically means some workers who did things manually e.g. a file clerk will lose their job as they are no longer needed because data is now stored on computers and not on paper anymore

2. equity - better and new technology needs to be payed for, only richer organisations can afford it, allowing only them to have more access to information

this means that there is inequality. richer organisations can afford new technology and better access to information while poor organisations can't afford it.

thanks this is very useful but I'm still finding it hard to distinguish it from being moral and legal??

Quick Reply

Latest