The Student Room Group

OCR FSMQ Additional Maths - 20th June 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemur14
I'm aiming for both lol, but I think a 9 and a B would be better than an 8 and an A tbh, especially considering the fact we've been doing 1 hour a week of additional maths for 1.5 terms, whereas we've been doing 3-4 hours a week of maths for 2 years, plus all the stuff we did before year 10.
What have you been typically scoring in maths mocks?

I agree with you completely. I am taking maths from Edexcel and we have done a few mocks till now. I'll list my marks per mock. They aren't really good because I tend to act like a know it all and end up losing marks on simple questions which is bad :c

Mock 1: 210/240
Mock 2: 238/240 (I did well in this one probably because a lot of the questions were similar to the ones I have done before)
Mock 3: 215/240

How about you, what have you been getting?
Original post by moa.asim
I agree with you completely. I am taking maths from Edexcel and we have done a few mocks till now. I'll list my marks per mock. They aren't really good because I tend to act like a know it all and end up losing marks on simple questions which is bad :c

Mock 1: 210/240
Mock 2: 238/240 (I did well in this one probably because a lot of the questions were similar to the ones I have done before)
Mock 3: 215/240

How about you, what have you been getting?

238?!?! Wow! :redface:
I'm also on Edexcel :smile:
We've only done 2 mocks so far, and we start our last set tomorrow!
November mock: 200/240
February mock: 212/240

I'm hoping to get up to 220-225 as I reckon that should secure the grade, but who knows lol. Have a couple of topics which I need to work on, but apart from that it's making sure my work is clear and not making silly mistakes so I'm going to use this mock to see how much longer it takes for me to make sure everything I do is clear as I usually don't have that much spare time, so I need to make sure I'm not going to run out of time in the actual exam!
Original post by Lemur14
238?!?! Wow! :redface:
I'm also on Edexcel :smile:
We've only done 2 mocks so far, and we start our last set tomorrow!
November mock: 200/240
February mock: 212/240

I'm hoping to get up to 220-225 as I reckon that should secure the grade, but who knows lol. Have a couple of topics which I need to work on, but apart from that it's making sure my work is clear and not making silly mistakes so I'm going to use this mock to see how much longer it takes for me to make sure everything I do is clear as I usually don't have that much spare time, so I need to make sure I'm not going to run out of time in the actual exam!

Yeah. Same here. Just as a warning though, if you do the same set as we just recently did, you might want to focus a lot on writing your statements xD I lost almost 20 marks combined because my statements were missing from the work. Good luck and all the best!! Let me know how they go :wink:
So do you think we'll have an easier paper from last year's one? I think we are going to because last year it was like 58!!
Yeah. Same here. Just as a warning though, if you do the same set as we just recently did, you might want to focus a lot on writing your statements xD I lost almost 20 marks combined because my statements were missing from the work. Good luck and all the best!! Let me know how they go :wink:

Thanks for the advice :smile: We're doing the Spring Term Mock Set 2, as they only came out in March so we couldn't do them for the last mock set.
We're starting with paper 3 tomorrow which is my best paper so I'm happy.
Original post by mysticmagic2000
So do you think we'll have an easier paper from last year's one? I think we are going to because last year it was like 58!!

From what I assume, the paper will be anything but easier from last years paper. A lot of the stuff from additional has moved to the new 9-1 maths so the exam board will be trying to make a challenging paper which stretches the knowledge beyond the normal questions. I would say it will be harder than last years although the grade boundaries might be lowered; however, I might be completely wrong (I hope I am xD)
From what I assume, the paper will be anything but easier from last years paper. A lot of the stuff from additional has moved to the new 9-1 maths so the exam board will be trying to make a challenging paper which stretches the knowledge beyond the normal questions. I would say it will be harder than last years although the grade boundaries might be lowered; however, I might be completely wrong (I hope I am xD)

But you see not everybody is doing 9-1 GCSE, like myself who is doing the IGCSE, plus wouldn't OCR want to make a point that the GCSEs need to be made harder and thus making this year's paper easier would prove their point. I'm not sure if this is a hope more than anything!
But you see not everybody is doing 9-1 GCSE, like myself who is doing the IGCSE, plus wouldn't OCR want to make a point that the GCSEs need to be made harder and thus making this year's paper easier would prove their point. I'm not sure if this is a hope more than anything!

I'm not exactly sure but a major reason why the 2016 paper was hard was that they wanted to build up how hard the paper would be for our year rather than having a massive increase in difficulty. Thus the 2015 paper was easy, 2016 was hard and the 2017 will be harder.

I do however get your point and maybe that might be true but how I see it, onky certain people with high ability enter for additional which is why the paper is generally hard bcz it makes you think more than a normal gcse paper.
I'm not exactly sure but a major reason why the 2016 paper was hard was that they wanted to build up how hard the paper would be for our year rather than having a massive increase in difficulty. Thus the 2015 paper was easy, 2016 was hard and the 2017 will be harder.

I do however get your point and maybe that might be true but how I see it, onky certain people with high ability enter for additional which is why the paper is generally hard bcz it makes you think more than a normal gcse paper.

Getting an A won't be difficult, however getting a high A (in the 90s) will prove to be a challenge for sure. I got 99 on 2014, 98 on 2015 and 92 on the 2016. I really want to get above 90 on this year's paper, but I'm scared that they'll make the questions even more complicated and tedious than last years.

However this wasn't the case with my maths IGCSE paper - 2015 paper was slightly difficult, but the 2016 paper I did, I got 98 on. Fingers crossed this will be the case for Add. Maths.
I personally hope that they make the 9-1 papers as difficult as possible. That way I won't be punished as much for making small mistakes, as I can make up the marks on the problem solving questions (compared to others).
Had my last Ad maths lessons today as my teacher is leaving on Friday. I'm gonna miss it so much, definitely need to keep working, but I reckon I could get a decent grade if I do a few past papers so I get used to the questions some more :smile:
How're everyone's GCSEs going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Had my last Ad maths lessons today as my teacher is leaving on Friday. I'm gonna miss it so much, definitely need to keep working, but I reckon I could get a decent grade if I do a few past papers so I get used to the questions some more :smile:
How're everyone's GCSEs going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Praying for thursday's exam :c scared of doing bad lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Praying for thursday's exam :c scared of doing bad lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're doing ad maths you'll be fine for GCSE :smile: Don't worry at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope maths went well for everyone!
I'm ready to learn all of the course over the weekend lol.
I haven't done any maths at all apart from the exams since the 21st May! Just the way lessons fell over exams and my maths teacher left at half term :cry: so I CBA to go to lessons with a random teacher who doesn't know us that well when our teacher is still emailing us regularly with work if we want it.
I'm most worried about:
a) Not knowing what the question wants me to do
b) The mechanics bits that we didn't really learn properly

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lemur14
Hope maths went well for everyone!
I'm ready to learn all of the course over the weekend lol.
I haven't done any maths at all apart from the exams since the 21st May! Just the way lessons fell over exams and my maths teacher left at half term (cry) so I CBA to go to lessons with a random teacher who doesn't know us that well when our teacher is still emailing us regularly with work if we want it.
I'm most worried about:
a) Not knowing what the question wants me to do
b) The mechanics bits that we didn't really learn properly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im sure youll be fine in mechanics. Hopefully the paper won't be that bad on tuesday. I need to go over the entire content in 1 day though because I need to work on my physics and bio exam which are next week as well :sigh::dontknow:
Reply 35
Does anyone have a copy of the 2016 paper?

And good luck to everyone sitting it!!
Original post by dx31
Does anyone have a copy of the 2016 paper?

And good luck to everyone sitting it!!

Scanned it earlier this week. I covered up the working out with some terrible MS Paint work.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6JcJFFbkW9aWjlRdDRleTB1ekU
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey all! I'm gonna do June 14, 15 and 16 this weekend :smile: also aiming for an A, but seem to be just scraping it if I'm honest! From the sound of it these are a lot harder, any general advice for add maths apart from doing appears?
Hey all! I'm gonna do June 14, 15 and 16 this weekend :smile: also aiming for an A, but seem to be just scraping it if I'm honest! From the sound of it these are a lot harder, any general advice for add maths apart from doing appears?

Read the question thoroughly twice or even three times before going about answering it. Unless it's really basic. Not reading the question is what causes those silly mistakes in papers, that prevent you from getting top marks.

Apart from that, do as many papers as you can before Tuesday to get into the Add. Maths mindset.
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Im sure youll be fine in mechanics. Hopefully the paper won't be that bad on tuesday. I need to go over the entire content in 1 day though because I need to work on my physics and bio exam which are next week as well :sigh::dontknow:

I hope so! Yeah the one advantage of AQA science is no exams next week for science which means I have my entire weekend to concentrate on add maths (well plus rehearsals and endless other things I seem to need to do)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending