As the title suggests:

ADHD and Autism are not disabilities

Discuss.

You start...
Original post by Doonesbury
You start...

I have started already with the title of the thread :smile:
I'm sorry autism isn't a disability?
Adhd in a sense can be discussed but autism? I don't think there is a discussion
I assume you know what Autism actually is? You've probably done what some eejit did - met a person with Autism who functions well and decides we're all like it. It's called Autism Spectrum Disorder for a reason.

Some people with Autism will never talk, are incontinent, have severe behaviour difficulties and have severe sensory problems to the extent where everyday things like a small amount of light (I can't go out when it's sunny for example because I will get migraine) are physically painful. And you tell me those things aren't a disability?

Seriously, if you're going to spout rubbish, read up on what the condition is first.
Reply 6
Original post by Det.Hartigan
As the title suggests:

ADHD and Autism should not receive special treatment from society

Discuss.
Not going to engage in a discussion with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

/discussion.
Reply 7
Original post by Tiger Rag
I assume you know what Autism actually is? You've probably done what some eejit did - met a person with Autism who functions well and decides we're all like it. It's called Autism Spectrum Disorder for a reason.

Some people with Autism will never talk, are incontinent, have severe behaviour difficulties and have severe sensory problems to the extent where everyday things like a small amount of light (I can't go out when it's sunny for example because I will get migraine) are physically painful. And you tell me those things aren't a disability?

Seriously, if you're going to spout rubbish, read up on what the condition is first.
Don't feed the troll :console:
There is no discussion to be had, you are just wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No troll, it's a serious topic.

I expect replies from those who probably have the condition as well as those who do not.
No troll, it's a serious topic.

I expect replies from those who probably have the condition as well as those who do not.

Er, I have the condition.

What's your experience? Apart from googling and deciding that because wikipedia says some people can live a normal life, doesn't mean the rest of us can.
"Special treatment" such as what?
ditto all the above about autism, and the same applies to adhd - people often underestimate how disabiling it is, when in fact, to even get an adhd diagnosis in the UK you have to be substantially disabled by the condition. I.e. if it isn't obviously causing you significant problems in at least two major areas of your life (usually at work/school and at home/wherever you spend the rest of your time), even if you have all the symptoms of ADHD, you don’t qualify for a diagnosis because they’re not causing you major impairment.

likewise, ADHD is generally misunderstood and misportrayed in the media as something that isn't particularly serious, but here's some actual stats worth considering before suggesting it might not be a disability/that people with ADHD might not need some extra support...:

- 46% of kids with untreated ADHD have been expelled. 35% drop out.
- Kids with untreated ADHD have 50% more bicycle accidents, and 33% more A&E visits than their non-ADHD peers.
- adults with untreated ADHD they show 4 times the number of STD and are 2.5 times more likely to have been tested for HIV/AIDS
- they have 2 to 4 times more car crashes than people without the disorder, and are 7 times more likely to have had multiple vehicle crashes than people without ADHD.
- Having ADHD makes you twice as likely to have been fired from a job and 9 times more likely to end up in prison than people without the disorder. At least 40% of UK male prisoners are thought to have undiagnosed and untreated ADHD.
- ADHD is the second greatest predictor of total offending behaviour behind heroin use
Original post by aneducatedguess
...here's some actual stats worth considering before suggesting it might not be a disability/that people with ADHD might not need some extra support...:

- 46% of kids with untreated ADHD have been expelled. 35% drop out.
- Kids with untreated ADHD have 50% more bicycle accidents, and 33% more A&E visits than their non-ADHD peers.
- adults with untreated ADHD they show 4 times the number of STD and are 2.5 times more likely to have been tested for HIV/AIDS
- they have 2 to 4 times more car crashes than people without the disorder, and are 7 times more likely to have had multiple vehicle crashes than people without ADHD.
- Having ADHD makes you twice as likely to have been fired from a job and 9 times more likely to end up in prison than people without the disorder. At least 40% of UK male prisoners are thought to have undiagnosed and untreated ADHD.
- ADHD is the second greatest predictor of total offending behaviour behind heroin use

None of that particularly makes ADHD sufferers merit special treatment from society.

The only 1/2 items reasonable for consideration are the bits about car and bicycle accidents.

Original post by aneducatedguess
if it isn't obviously causing you significant problems in at least two major areas of your life...you don’t qualify for a diagnosis

Which sounds very fair.
(edited 6 years ago)
None of that particularly makes ADHD sufferers merit special treatment from society.

The only 1/2 items reasonable for consideration are the bits about car and bicycle accidents.

Which sounds very fair.

What special treatment do people with autism actually get? If you're going to make ridiculous claims, back them up!
What special treatment do people with autism actually get? If you're going to make ridiculous claims, back them up!

That bit above was about ADHD
That bit above was about ADHD

Yes and?

I notice you've dodged the question, which means you know you're wrong.
Reply 18
what context do you mean 'special treatment' in?

100% believe support and research and resources should be there for those with the condition.

but of course it shouldn't be used as an excuse for doing bad things unrelated to the condition, but tbh that never really happens?

how do none of those statistics about the awful things that happen to people who don't get treatment mean that they don't merit any treatment?!

Latest

Trending

Trending