The Student Room Group

OCR Mid Tudor Crisises and later/early tudors exam

How did everyone find their exam today im doing later tudors and thought the sources were horrendous it was so hard to cross reference
Original post by WB1999
How did everyone find their exam today im doing later tudors and thought the sources were horrendous it was so hard to cross reference

I completely f*ed up. Got the provenances wrong, thought Nicholas Throckmorton was a Protestant. Did issues of marriage and succession - completely messed it up with no intro or conclusion
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by amerahussain
I completely f*ed up. Got the provenances wrong, thought Nicholas Throckmorton was a Protestant. Did issues of marriage and succession - completely messed it up with no intro or conclusion

see i thought that that elizabeth question wasnt too bad but it wasnt amazing either most people in my class though the paper wasnt great only one thought it was amazing
Original post by WB1999
see i thought that that elizabeth question wasnt too bad but it wasnt amazing either most people in my class though the paper wasnt great only one thought it was amazing

My year thought it went well :/ What Liz question did you do and what points did you make? Also for the sources which did you say supported and didn't?
Reply 4
My year thought it went well :/ What Liz question did you do and what points did you make? Also for the sources which did you say supported and didn't?

For the elizabeth question i did Marriage and succession. I mentioned stuggles at the start with both marriage and succession and how she didnt want any uprisings based around xenophobia like Mary had with Philip, i also mentioned how she tried to please people at the strat of the reign by seeing potential uitors but later declaring herself virgin queen and married to her country. I mentioned Nolfolk and dudleys plot to take her of the throne and replace her with Mary QoS and how William Cecil stopped the plot. I then mentioned how as she got older succession became more of a problem and the problems she faced with a new younger group of advisors who ignored her eg Essex and how Robert Cecil stoped him also. I did mention how she worried if she named a successor there would be attempts to overthrow her.
For the sources i only cross reffrenced two and mentioned the others individually.
I basically mentioned why it was initially a threat because the people with power were siding with LJG. I then crossreffrenced B and D stating it showed that she had the support of those that Northumberland had angered.
I also compared source C and D and stated how even though they didnt agree with her religious views they generally came together in support of mary partially as a result of mutual hatred for northumberland and partly because the believed the new succession act was irrelevant and that most people supported Henry VIII succession act he put in place in the event of edwards death.
I also mentioned tone etc but for the provinence i basically did bad as i didnt mention the people in particular.
I argued that the LJG affair was not much of a threat to the tudor dynasty but it although it was not always the case such as at the beging when the claim was first made.

What did you put for them?
Also i think we got a better deal than Early tudors as they wouldnt have expected their question as one was on specemine and one came up last year but that made me unsettled for the germany exam as OCR are now massively unpredictable
Original post by WB1999
For the elizabeth question i did Marriage and succession. I mentioned stuggles at the start with both marriage and succession and how she didnt want any uprisings based around xenophobia like Mary had with Philip, i also mentioned how she tried to please people at the strat of the reign by seeing potential uitors but later declaring herself virgin queen and married to her country. I mentioned Nolfolk and dudleys plot to take her of the throne and replace her with Mary QoS and how William Cecil stopped the plot. I then mentioned how as she got older succession became more of a problem and the problems she faced with a new younger group of advisors who ignored her eg Essex and how Robert Cecil stoped him also. I did mention how she worried if she named a successor there would be attempts to overthrow her.
For the sources i only cross reffrenced two and mentioned the others individually.
I basically mentioned why it was initially a threat because the people with power were siding with LJG. I then crossreffrenced B and D stating it showed that she had the support of those that Northumberland had angered.
I also compared source C and D and stated how even though they didnt agree with her religious views they generally came together in support of mary partially as a result of mutual hatred for northumberland and partly because the believed the new succession act was irrelevant and that most people supported Henry VIII succession act he put in place in the event of edwards death.
I also mentioned tone etc but for the provinence i basically did bad as i didnt mention the people in particular.
I argued that the LJG affair was not much of a threat to the tudor dynasty but it although it was not always the case such as at the beging when the claim was first made.

What did you put for them?
Also i think we got a better deal than Early tudors as they wouldnt have expected their question as one was on specemine and one came up last year but that made me unsettled for the germany exam as OCR are now massively unpredictable

For Liz I did the same question:
- Marriage - her potential suitors - only spoke about Archeduke Charles and Philip as suitors - How Cecil supported the marriage then agreed governing was easier without a married Queen. How Liz had a prerogative over these decisions, so had the final choice
- Succession - never explictly named a successor but made the Treaty of Berwick with James VI and wrote to him regularly - discreetly indicated he would succeed the throne. Succession became contentious in 1652 when she had smallpox
I wasnt sure on what the 'domestic affairs' part was about so I spoke about MQofS and the Catholic threat - Parliament dealt with this with 1571 Treason act 1584 Bonds of Association

I rambled on, spoke about The Wentworth Brothers and how this heightened the issue of succession and marriage as parliament couldnt discuss these issues freely so I don't know. I didn't write much or evalute enough :/
- Marriage - her potential suitors - only spoke about Archeduke Charles and Philip as suitors - How Cecil supported the marriage then agreed governing was easier without a married Queen. How Liz had a prerogative over these decisions, so had the final choice
- Succession - never explictly named a successor but made the Treaty of Berwick with James VI and wrote to him regularly - discreetly indicated he would succeed the throne. Succession became contentious in 1652 when she had smallpox
I wasnt sure on what the 'domestic affairs' part was about so I spoke about MQofS and the Catholic threat - Parliament dealt with this with 1571 Treason act 1584 Bonds of Association

I rambled on, spoke about The Wentworth Brothers and how this heightened the issue of succession and marriage as parliament couldnt discuss these issues freely so I don't know. I didn't write much or evalute enough :/

Also how she refused to marry because of psychological reason - fathers failed marriages, previously groomed by Thomas Seymour. Also england were xenophobic and suitors were foreign and most, Catholic. Again, didn't evaluate this enough.

MQofQ being a Catholic figurehead and had rightful access to the throne - Treaty of Edinburgh
Reply 7
Also how she refused to marry because of psychological reason - fathers failed marriages, previously groomed by Thomas Seymour. Also england were xenophobic and suitors were foreign and most, Catholic. Again, didn't evaluate this enough.
MQofQ being a Catholic figurehead and had rightful access to the throne - Treaty of Edinburgh

Omg I totally forgot about some of these things oh crap
Original post by WB1999
Omg I totally forgot about some of these things oh crap

SHouldnt matter too much, quality over quantity always

Sounds like you did well tbh- I basically argued it had a major impact at certain flashpoints during her reign e.g. factional rivalry over her marrying Dudley, smallpox 1562, and most importantly MQoS and resulting plots e.g. Ridolfi and Throckmorton, plus execution, but it was resolved by the end (probably wrong eeeek). I said with MQoS Treaty of Berwick 1586 = no opposition from James to execution, removing her as a threat and he was established as the tacit heir, entering into clandestine correspondence with Privy Councillors e.g. Robert Cecil. So although E would not name an heir officially by the end it didn't really matter so the impact on domestic affairs was diminished.

A bit on factional rivalry and conflict with Parliament resulting from it too, but honestly while I did info + counters + mini conclusions it could've been more developed, timing is so hard. Thankfully I at least won't lose marks for not introducing or concluding anything but mehhh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending