The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons application

hi I'm hoping to get an opinion and some advice on my application for having a my 2014/15 academic year reinstated so i would be able to study a 3 year course starting this year.

I suffered from mental health issues particularly during that year and sought medical help, i was prescribed medication to help me regulate my thoughts and to help me tackle my fear of transport. I was then taken off of these tablets as i was found unconscious and taken to hospital. I was then prescribed a new medication but this time in form of an antidepressant. By this point I had recieved news from my course leader that even with support it would be near impossible to pass the year.

I have had my current GP write a letter confirming my unwell state and how this effected my sleep and my ability to even get to university and has used the words "can confidently agree that ******'s reason(s) for being unable to successfully pass the year were based on medical grounds". He has also confirmed that last year I was passed onto the psychiatrist at my local hospital for on going treatment.

My student support officer from the year in question has since left the university, but after getting in contact with the senior support officer i have had a letter written by him stating that i was suffering from personal issues during that year that affected my ability to attend and that i was granted exceptional circumstances for my missing coursework.

Alongside this evidence I have printed the emails from my course leader explaining that I would be unlikely to pass the year as well as copies of my current medication to prove i am on a good road to recovery and ready to return to university.

Does anyone know if this would be sufficient evidence? I'm so nervous as i cant find many stories of people being successful with their claim.

thanks in advance x
Original post by anizerc
hi I'm hoping to get an opinion and some advice on my application for having a my 2014/15 academic year reinstated so i would be able to study a 3 year course starting this year.

I suffered from mental health issues particularly during that year and sought medical help, i was prescribed medication to help me regulate my thoughts and to help me tackle my fear of transport. I was then taken off of these tablets as i was found unconscious and taken to hospital. I was then prescribed a new medication but this time in form of an antidepressant. By this point I had recieved news from my course leader that even with support it would be near impossible to pass the year.

I have had my current GP write a letter confirming my unwell state and how this effected my sleep and my ability to even get to university and has used the words "can confidently agree that ******'s reason(s) for being unable to successfully pass the year were based on medical grounds". He has also confirmed that last year I was passed onto the psychiatrist at my local hospital for on going treatment.

My student support officer from the year in question has since left the university, but after getting in contact with the senior support officer i have had a letter written by him stating that i was suffering from personal issues during that year that affected my ability to attend and that i was granted exceptional circumstances for my missing coursework.

Alongside this evidence I have printed the emails from my course leader explaining that I would be unlikely to pass the year as well as copies of my current medication to prove i am on a good road to recovery and ready to return to university.

Does anyone know if this would be sufficient evidence? I'm so nervous as i cant find many stories of people being successful with their claim.

thanks in advance x

That sounds like plenty

A lot of people are granted CPR if they have evidence.
Hi anizerc,

Thank you for your question.

I'm sorry about the situation. It's good to know you are looking to start again next year. We do take compelling personal reasons into account whole assessing students for funding. Firstly, if you already haven't done so, I would suggest making an application online on https://www.gov.uk/student-finance.

We do need to see evidence regarding compelling personal reasons which is dealt on a case by case basis. You should send a letter to SFE detailing your CPR along with any evidence of your mitigating circumstances.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence -

is signed and dated;

confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies; and

when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

Medical evidence from a GP or a health professional

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

The above list is not exhaustive and any evidence that can support your claim should be sent to us for consideration. In some circumstances one piece of evidence may not be sufficient, therefore we would recommend that you send as much evidence in as possible.

From what you say you already have, it will be easy for you to send this evidence.

If the evidence is accepted you will be eligible to get funding for 17/18.

Thank you.

Kruti
Reply 3
Was your compelling personal reasons accepted?
Reply 4
Original post by Davvvvie
Was your compelling personal reasons accepted?

Hi, yes it was!
Who do u write to about compelling reason please who did you send it to Hun and is there a form to download
Reply 6
hi there I was just wondering how long did it take you for SFC to get back to you and did you send a copy of the letter or the original copy.thanks
Original post by Rayray777
Who do u write to about compelling reason please who did you send it to Hun and is there a form to download

Hi Rayray777,

The address to send CPR evidence is

Student Finance England
PO BOX 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

There is not a form you need to complete just send evidence with covering letter.

Thanks Katie
(edited 6 years ago)
hi when you apply for cpr do student finance reinstate your payments? i got withdrawn from my course just applied for cpr waiting for feedback. how long does it take please? l didnt receive aprils loan
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by laurashdunn
hi when you apply for cpr do student finance reinstate your payments? i got withdrawn from my course just applied for cpr waiting for feedback. how long does it take please? l didnt receive aprils loan

Hi there,

We would not reinstate your payments. This is to consider you for another year of funding and is currently taking 14 working days to process.

Regards,
Nihad
Hi, I am also applying for CPR but I am unsure if I have to apply for student finance first then send the CPR letter from my doctor to student finance? or do I just send the CPR directly to student finance first to see if i am allowed an additional year before making an application again?Thanks, David
Original post by davep101
Hi, I am also applying for CPR but I am unsure if I have to apply for student finance first then send the CPR letter from my doctor to student finance? or do I just send the CPR directly to student finance first to see if i am allowed an additional year before making an application again?Thanks, David

Hi Dave,

You can do this either way but we recommend submitting the application with the evidence of CPR.

Regards, Duncan
Hi, I just had question regarding the time it takes to hear back from student finance. I sent my compelling personal reasons letter with evidence last month due to suspending the academic year 2020/21. I applied to return in September of this year and the status on my account says 'payment scheduled' but I haven't heard anything from them to confirm that it has been accepted. Is it safe to assume that it has or should I call to check. Actually, the last time I called to pay for an overpayment (due to suspending) I was told that they were still assessing so I'm not sure what is actually going on. Thanks,Luwam.
Original post by Luwam Alem
Hi, I just had question regarding the time it takes to hear back from student finance. I sent my compelling personal reasons letter with evidence last month due to suspending the academic year 2020/21. I applied to return in September of this year and the status on my account says 'payment scheduled' but I haven't heard anything from them to confirm that it has been accepted. Is it safe to assume that it has or should I call to check. Actually, the last time I called to pay for an overpayment (due to suspending) I was told that they were still assessing so I'm not sure what is actually going on. Thanks,Luwam.

Hi there, please allow up to 6 weeks for the CPR evidence to be reviewed.
Thanks, Isaac
I sent my application in September, received a letter in February asking for more evidence from my university in February, which was sent in April, yet I still haven't heard anything back. Is there a number I can ring to speak to someone about this please? My course finishes in a few months (I am on a 1 year Masters programme) and I need to clear my tuition fees in order to be able to graduate in December, so getting pretty desperate now! I don't want to have finished the course and SFE tell me well I have finished now so it is too late or something.
Original post by KLeigh13
I sent my application in September, received a letter in February asking for more evidence from my university in February, which was sent in April, yet I still haven't heard anything back. Is there a number I can ring to speak to someone about this please? My course finishes in a few months (I am on a 1 year Masters programme) and I need to clear my tuition fees in order to be able to graduate in December, so getting pretty desperate now! I don't want to have finished the course and SFE tell me well I have finished now so it is too late or something.

You can contact SFE by DM on facebook or twitter during working hours. They'll be able to look into your case.

Alternatively (or as well as this) your university student records/registry team might be able to help to chase things with their SFE contacts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending