The Student Room Group

Is it bad to go to a 'bad' uni?

Hey guys! My question is will going to a university aka Greenwich University affect me in the long run because it is so low on the league tables?

Greenwich is literally below 100 which worries me! I have already firmed my course there. I chose a Sandwich year course so when I do a whole year of work experience, hopefully it will give me an advantage to getting a good job. But will going to such a low ranked uni prevent me from getting a good/top ranked job if that makes sense?

Greenwich require me to get a BBC. However I was thinking if I get higher than those grades or a grade lower for example, I was thinking of going into clearing for Lincoln University. Lincoln gave me an unconditional but I stupidly rejected it. I guess i was just afraid to move away from home :frown: Im sure my course at Lincoln will probably go into clearing coz its a brand new course starting this September & not a lot of people have applied.

Any advice's would help!! Thanks guys!

Scroll to see replies

don't
Reply 2
Original post by Marisahd6
Hey guys! My question is will going to a university aka Greenwich University affect me in the long run because it is so low on the league tables?

Greenwich is literally below 100 which worries me! I have already firmed my course there. I chose a Sandwich year course so when I do a whole year of work experience, hopefully it will give me an advantage to getting a good job. But will going to such a low ranked uni prevent me from getting a good/top ranked job if that makes sense?

Greenwich require me to get a BBC. However I was thinking if I get higher than those grades or a grade lower for example, I was thinking of going into clearing for Lincoln University. Lincoln gave me an unconditional but I stupidly rejected it. I guess i was just afraid to move away from home :frown: Im sure my course at Lincoln will probably go into clearing coz its a brand new course starting this September & not a lot of people have applied.

Any advice's would help!! Thanks guys!

If you exceed your offer you can use Adjustment. More info here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/adjustment/changing-university-via-adjustment-what-you-need-to-know
Depends, what are you planning to study?
Greenwich is literally below 100 which worries me!

Is that a course ranking, or for the whole university?

The Times Higher Education ranking has Greenwich equal with Lincoln. Rankings will vary, but it's perhaps not as clear-cut as you think. Personally, I'd have picked the cheaper place to live, all other things being equal (although I'd have forced myself to not live at home too).

I have already firmed my course there. I chose a Sandwich year course so when I do a whole year of work experience, hopefully it will give me an advantage to getting a good job. But will going to such a low ranked uni prevent me from getting a good/top ranked job if that makes sense?

It makes it more difficult. How well, and what, you do is also important.

Greenwich require me to get a BBC. However I was thinking if I get higher than those grades or a grade lower for example, I was thinking of going into clearing for Lincoln University.

If you do better than their offer, try adjustment (as mentioned above). You might surprise yourself.

Lincoln gave me an unconditional but I stupidly rejected it. I guess i was just afraid to move away from home :frown: Im sure my course at Lincoln will probably go into clearing coz its a brand new course starting this September & not a lot of people have applied.

Moving away from home is a big step for many. It can be scary, or exciting, depending upon how you choose to see it. The UK isn't that big though - my son is going to the UK for university this year, but we live in California, so it's a tad further.

They may have given a lot of unconditional offers too.

Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
The way I see it, employees look at university league tables and favour applicants from higher universities. If you go to a uni that's ranked low, people at universities above will be considered before you. Waste of time to go to a low rated uni, just get an apprenticeship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by BinaryJava
The way I see it, employees look at university league tables and favour applicants from higher universities. If you go to a uni that's ranked low, people at universities above will be considered before you. Waste of time to go to a low rated uni, just get an apprenticeship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Employers do not use university league tables.
Original post by Doonesbury
Employers do not use university league tables.

The whole CV should be read, but employers DO read the name of the university that you attended and many draw conclusions from its reputation, particularly for graduate entry. I believe that there are also employers that specifically recruit from a limited set of universities.

Individual should chose the best university for them to be able to perform as well as possible. Not everyone can get into a 'top' university, nor thrive in a particular environment.
Reply 8
Original post by RogerOxon
The whole CV should be read, but employers DO read the name of the university that you attended and many draw conclusions from its reputation, particularly for graduate entry. I believe that there are also employers that specifically recruit from a limited set of universities.

Perhaps (and decreasingly, with the latest best practices coming in for many grad roles). But they definitely don't stew over whether Greenwich or Lincoln is up or down 1 or 2 places in The Guardian (or CUG or THE or Times or...) rankings this week.

They will be aware of which universities have been useful sources for them in the recent past for the roles they are hiring for.
Original post by Doonesbury
But they definitely don't stew over whether Greenwich or Lincoln is up or down 1 or 2 places in The Guardian (or CUG or THE or Times or...) rankings this week.

They will be aware of which universities have been useful sources for them in the recent past for the roles they are hiring for.

Agreed.
Reply 10
What you study and the classification you get is even more important.
If I was an employer and I had to pick between these 2 candidates....

1) bsc mathematics (1st class), greenwich university
2) bsc sociology (2:2), cambridge university

I would take the greenwich guy, he has gone to a university that isn't amazing for whatever reason. Has done a strong subject and achieved a top grade. He has shown to me he can work hard.
Reply 11
Original post by XOR_
Depends, what are you planning to study?

I applied for Business Psychology BA at Greenwich including placement year!
Reply 12
Is that a course ranking, or for the whole university?

The Times Higher Education ranking has Greenwich equal with Lincoln. Rankings will vary, but it's perhaps not as clear-cut as you think. Personally, I'd have picked the cheaper place to live, all other things being equal (although I'd have forced myself to not live at home too).

It makes it more difficult. How well, and what, you do is also important.

If you do better than their offer, try adjustment (as mentioned above). You might surprise yourself.

Moving away from home is a big step for many. It can be scary, or exciting, depending upon how you choose to see it. The UK isn't that big though - my son is going to the UK for university this year, but we live in California, so it's a tad further.

They may have given a lot of unconditional offers too.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advices!!
1) I used the complete university guide which showed that Greenwich was around 107 in general. I applied to do Business Psychology BA (with placement year) there, so on that website i filtered it to 'Business & Management studies' which put Greenwich on the 87th place out of all the UK unis. 15th out of 22 unis in london overall, and once i filtered it, its placed 14th.
at Lincoln the course is a Bsc rather than a BA like Greenwich. Is that something which will be looked down upon too?
2) Thinking of moving away from home is scary! but if i was to get grades higher than BBC, the only place I can go into clearing for is Lincoln as its one of the only uni that does my course. I prefer the cheaper option too which is Greenwich but its the fact that it is so low on the league table just makes me feel like it will inhibit me from getting a graduate job .etc. & Good luck to your son! :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
If you know it's 'bad' then why go?
Reply 14

Individual should chose the best university for them to be able to perform as well as possible. Not everyone can get into a 'top' university, nor thrive in a particular environment.

Yeah I definatley cannot get into the 'top' universites! Im more of a B/C/D student than A*. I applied to do Business Psychology BA. With a placement year is that something that will boost my CV and chances of getting a decent job?
Reply 15
Original post by TheAlchemistress
If you know it's 'bad' then why go?

Because its closer to home, and Greenwich is one of the very few unis that does my course :/ its just im unsure if its something that will make me look less able to employers when applying for graduate jobs in the future.
Honestly you will find a job.

Original post by BinaryJava

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is it a waste of time? People who dont go to Oxbridge also manage to get jobs you know.
Because its closer to home, and Greenwich is one of the very few unis that does my course :/ its just im unsure if its something that will make me look less able to employers when applying for graduate jobs in the future.

Well, if you think it might affect your graduate jobs in the future, then ask yourself if it really matters what universities think? At least you would have completed your course, passing with good grades, they should overlook the fact you go to Greenwich.
Reply 18
Original post by TeeSAre
What you study and the classification you get is even more important.
If I was an employer and I had to pick between these 2 candidates....

1) bsc mathematics (1st class), greenwich university
2) bsc sociology (2:2), cambridge university

I would take the greenwich guy, he has gone to a university that isn't amazing for whatever reason. Has done a strong subject and achieved a top grade. He has shown to me he can work hard.

I understand the example you gave. I applied for Business Psychcology BA at Greenwich, where its a Bsc in Lincoln. Also i am not entirely sure what I want to do yet after my degree which is why i applied for a placement year too, which Im hoping it will boost my chances of getting a decent graduate job
I think that mainly, employers are looking for whether you have a degree or not, and your final grade at the end of it. They might prefer a higher university over a lower ranked one, but only if the grades are the same for both applicants.

The main thing to consider is whether you'll enjoy Greenwich - a degree is still a degree, no matter where you go, at the end of the day. You're the one that will have to be living there for three years or so. You need to be sure that you're going to be happy to be there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending