The Student Room Group

Leiden University Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Jenn13497
Hi, has anyone had any luck finding a house? I just got an email saying that there's no space and I have to find a house myself, bit late notice!

I got the same email today:/
Original post by #gabby#
I got the same email today:/

It's quite annoying :/ what are you going to do?
Reply 62
It's quite annoying :/ what are you going to do?

Yeh I know, I feel like they should have let us know sooner! And I really don't know, I'm on the Duwo website but there's nothing on there:/ what you gonna do?
Original post by #gabby#
Yeh I know, I feel like they should have let us know sooner! And I really don't know, I'm on the Duwo website but there's nothing on there:/ what you gonna do?

I have no idea, I looked at duwo too but the waiting lists are so long. I think I might try and stay with family and sort something out while I'm there, but only as a last resort
Reply 64
I have no idea, I looked at duwo too but the waiting lists are so long. I think I might try and stay with family and sort something out while I'm there, but only as a last resort

Ahh that's so good that you have family there tho! Thing is I want to go to the Hague so bad so this isn't gonna stop me but it's just really stressful cause i genuinely don't know what I'm gonna do://
Hi, has anyone had any luck finding a house? I just got an email saying that there's no space and I have to find a house myself, bit late notice!

I'm also searching on my own, still didn't really looked for it but I will soon begin to !
Shouldn't be too hard, you can search on faceboook for room rents in Den Haag !
Original post by #gabby#
Ahh that's so good that you have family there tho! Thing is I want to go to the Hague so bad so this isn't gonna stop me but it's just really stressful cause i genuinely don't know what I'm gonna do://

Yeah I'm definitely not going to let this stop me, at the very worst I guess you can defer until January, but that's not really great :/
Original post by justaprank
I'm also searching on my own, still didn't really looked for it but I will soon begin to !

Oh ok, that's quite good :smile: I'll have a look at that!
Reply 68
Yeah I'm definitely not going to let this stop me, at the very worst I guess you can defer until January, but that's not really great :/

Aw no Im too excited to wait haha:') thing is I really wanted to stay in student accommodation so I could have that student vibe but now I'm worried I'm not gonna get that finding housing on my own:frown:
Original post by #gabby#
Aw no Im too excited to wait haha:':wink: thing is I really wanted to stay in student accommodation so I could have that student vibe but now I'm worried I'm not gonna get that finding housing on my own:frown:

Haha no me neither! Exactly, me too! The student accommodation looked like it had a really good atmosphere. I hope the other places will have something similar...
Reply 70
Haha no me neither! Exactly, me too! The student accommodation looked like it had a really good atmosphere. I hope the other places will have something similar...

Heya!! Any luck yet with finding anything:/?? I'm trying to find apartments that are for students/occupied by students because I obviously really want that student-y atmosphere like you said! Ahh this is stressing me out!
Original post by #gabby#
Heya!! Any luck yet with finding anything:/?? I'm trying to find apartments that are for students/occupied by students because I obviously really want that student-y atmosphere like you said! Ahh this is stressing me out!

Heyy, no I haven't either! I tried looking at housing on duwo but everything has a huge waiting list, although they are all the most studenty houses, so I might keep trying... I also have been looking on Kamernet, and there are a few good places on there, but it's not clear what kind of house it's in, student or just general :/
Reply 72
Heyy, no I haven't either! I tried looking at housing on duwo but everything has a huge waiting list, although they are all the most studenty houses, so I might keep trying... I also have been looking on Kamernet, and there are a few good places on there, but it's not clear what kind of house it's in, student or just general :/

Yeh I've looked on kamernet too but exactly it's very unclear whether it's with students or not, I'm genuinely getting concerned now!:/ also all housing websites are in Dutch which is confusing me haha😂
Original post by #gabby#
Yeh I've looked on kamernet too but exactly it's very unclear whether it's with students or not, I'm genuinely getting concerned now!:/ also all housing websites are in Dutch which is confusing me haha😂

Still haven't found anything! I've tried looking at Facebook groups too, but they are mostly for rooms just over the summer :/
Still haven't found anything! I've tried looking at Facebook groups too, but they are mostly for rooms just over the summer :/

Original post by #gabby#

Hey guys,

I hope that by now you've managed to find a place! It's notoriously tricky in the Netherlands. A few years ago, I was in Groningen for a bit, and I only found a place a week or so before I moved there. Aaaand only because I was willing to pay for the month of August, which most students weren't. It was also a sublet, which meant I had to look for another room after a few months!

Anyway...

I'm a prospective applicant, and I was wondering how you lot found the course, now that you've started? I'm really anxious about the whole thing. I've had a pretty **** first experience at uni and ended up hating my engineering course, and have this irrational fear of the same thing happening. There's just such little information available about these courses. I was just wondering how you found the teachers, workload, etc? And the city itself? Are you happy there? :smile:

And btw, how did you end up finding accommodation?

Thanks!!
Original post by Lilium
Hey guys,

I hope that by now you've managed to find a place! It's notoriously tricky in the Netherlands. A few years ago, I was in Groningen for a bit, and I only found a place a week or so before I moved there. Aaaand only because I was willing to pay for the month of August, which most students weren't. It was also a sublet, which meant I had to look for another room after a few months!

Anyway...

I'm a prospective applicant, and I was wondering how you lot found the course, now that you've started? I'm really anxious about the whole thing. I've had a pretty **** first experience at uni and ended up hating my engineering course, and have this irrational fear of the same thing happening. There's just such little information available about these courses. I was just wondering how you found the teachers, workload, etc? And the city itself? Are you happy there? :smile:

And btw, how did you end up finding accommodation?

Thanks!!

Hey

Personally I think everything is really good here, I'm very happy with the course and the city.
Workload is okay, and most of the teacher are good.

I found accommodation via Facebook where there are housing groups.
Hey

Personally I think everything is really good here, I'm very happy with the course and the city.
Workload is okay, and most of the teacher are good.

I found accommodation via Facebook where there are housing groups.

Hey,

Thanks for your response! That's quite encouraging to hear.

Do most people go to the lectures? What are the tutorials like? And if you've had the first block exams already, how were they?

Just a few questions I wished I asked for my previous course, which had a fail rate of ~55% for many of the first year modules.

If it's not too much to ask, could you share a few examples of books you had/have to use for the first few courses? Like Global History, Intro to IR and Poli Sci?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lilium
Hey,

Thanks for your response! That's quite encouraging to hear.

Do most people go to the lectures? What are the tutorials like? And if you've had the first block exams already, how were they?

Just a few questions I wished I asked for my previous course, which had a fail rate of ~55% for many of the first year modules.

If it's not too much to ask, could you share a few examples of books you had/have to use for the first few courses? Like Global History, Intro to IR and Poli Sci?

Well depends on the lecture but usually most of the people go. But for example this block for economics lectures were half empty. But the other lectures were pretty full.
To be honest tutorials aren't that great but we are trying to make them change the way they teach in those tutorials.

Exams in first block were okay, not too difficult (I passed without really studying) I'm currently during the exams for block 2 and they are a bit more difficult.

Mhmm for IR we used the oxford book: introduction to international politics
Well depends on the lecture but usually most of the people go. But for example this block for economics lectures were half empty. But the other lectures were pretty full.
To be honest tutorials aren't that great but we are trying to make them change the way they teach in those tutorials.

Exams in first block were okay, not too difficult (I passed without really studying) I'm currently during the exams for block 2 and they are a bit more difficult.

Mhmm for IR we used the oxford book: introduction to international politics

That's really reassuring!

I'll check out that book. Is it by Robert Jackson and Georg Sørensen?

I couldn't find anything on their website. Are grades based solely on exams or do essays/papers and other things count as well? And how long did you have to decide whether to accept or decline your offer? Just wondering, cos some universities give out late decisions.

How do you like living in the Hague? Also, are there many students in your "promo"/year?

Okay, I probably won't bother you with any more questions now. I hope so, anyway! :P

Thanks so much, and good luck with your exams! Let me reiterate that this was really nice of you, cos I couldn't find any student experiences/reviews for this program!
Original post by Lilium
That's really reassuring!

I'll check out that book. Is it by Robert Jackson and Georg Sørensen?

I couldn't find anything on their website. Are grades based solely on exams or do essays/papers and other things count as well? And how long did you have to decide whether to accept or decline your offer? Just wondering, cos some universities give out late decisions.

How do you like living in the Hague? Also, are there many students in your "promo"/year?

Okay, I probably won't bother you with any more questions now. I hope so, anyway! :P

Thanks so much, and good luck with your exams! Let me reiterate that this was really nice of you, cos I couldn't find any student experiences/reviews for this program!

No it's te one from Baylis and Smith

You also have workgroups where you'll have to do assignments which will be graded.
You'll have enough time for that I think.
The Hague is a really chill place to live in, it's not super beautiful and night life isn't the best but it's kind of cozy and I really enjoy it here.
We're about 450 students and next year's promo will probably be bigger.

No problem haha good that I could help you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending