The Student Room Group

AQA History A Level - Cold War 2R - 16th June 2017

Could not find an thread for this exam. I don't know if anyone else is studying this or sitting the exam tomorrow. I had my breadth study exam last Friday on Britain - 1G and now have this depth study tomorrow.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Charloteballet21
Could not find an thread for this exam. I don't know if anyone else is studying this or sitting the exam tomorrow. I had my breadth study exam last Friday on Britain - 1G and now have this depth study tomorrow.

I'm doing this exam tomorrow. Revision has been disrupted due to personal circumstances. You got any resources, like essay plans?
Original post by LordDevaney
I'm doing this exam tomorrow. Revision has been disrupted due to personal circumstances. You got any resources, like essay plans?

I have a powerpoint that roughly covers the course?
Original post by LordDevaney

I just made contextual knowledge revision cards. Then had some group discussions/debates on the practice essay questions from the textbook. So sorry don't have anything I could give to you. Hope you do well tomorrow.
Good luck 🍀🍀
Reply 5
Did anyone do the weak leadership one? Dunno why I picked it ; it was the hardest one 😫
Reply 6
Also.. what did you write for the sources..
Original post by chemspaz
Also.. what did you write for the sources..

I found that quite tough. For the sources I focused each source on a cause of the Cold War. The dates were quite good for writing about. Wrote about clash of ideologies, each side wanting it to be united under different governments, Syngman Rhee's links with Americans, Resolution 83 + Truman Doctrine and stuff.
I struggled really badly on the knowledge qs though :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Nellwatson12
I found that quite tough. For the sources I focused each source on a cause of the Cold War. The dates were quite good for writing about. Wrote about clash of ideologies, each side wanting it to be united under different governments, Syngman Rhee's links with Americans, Resolution 83 + Truman Doctrine and stuff.
I struggled really badly on the knowledge qs though :frown:

Sounds like you added a lot of own knowledge which is good. I revised everything EXCEPT Korean War lol. Which essays did you do?
Reply 9
Did anyone do the weak leadership one? Dunno why I picked it ; it was the hardest one 😫

i picked that one did you talk about Afghanistan ?
Also.. what did you write for the sources.

Sources were pretty good I cannot recall what I wrote in about each source in depth but here are the general themes
S1- North invaded first- Kim Il sang aims to unify Korea as Communist nation + secure North
S2- Trueman invaded due to policy of containment - limit communist and possible Soviet influence in Korea
- Ensure stability of wider region especially Japan as a US aLLY -DOMINO theory effect
- Used dominance in UN and USSR boycott to pass UN resolution- used Un as a vehicle for intervention on a global scale
- Mention Mcarthur counteroffensive.

S3 - Can't recall what I wrote for S3
- USSR invaded partially to ensure global communist unity and limit growing influence of China
- China involvement
Reply 11
what essay questions did you do
Original post by emilia6
i picked that one did you talk about Afghanistan ?

No becausethe most I know about Afghanistan is why they invaded in 1979 and the immediate cosequences. I only did 3 paragraphs 😐 1 on weak leadership, one on Reagan's anti communist rhetoric and the last one on Gorbachev as a strong leader
Original post by emilia6
what essay questions did you do

Weak leadership& Vietnam
Reply 14
No becausethe most I know about Afghanistan is why they invaded in 1979 and the immediate cosequences. I only did 3 paragraphs 😐 1 on weak leadership, one on Reagan's anti communist rhetoric and the last one on Gorbachev as a strong leader

yes i did that i said the most important reason was Reagan doctrine, however i didnt mention Gorbachev as he came into power end of 1985 and the question said 1980 -85 so i wasnt sure whether to mention it
i think the question didnt really lend itself to balance so should be good
Original post by emilia6
yes i did that i said the most important reason was Reagan doctrine, however i didnt mention Gorbachev as he came into power end of 1985 and the question said 1980 -85 so i wasnt sure whether to mention it
i think the question didnt really lend
I think u can talk about Gorbachev because the question includes 1985 ( well I hope you can lol) so I talked about the Geneva summit and lack of intervention after solidarity had been legalised again as opposed to Brezhnev who suppressed social discontent E. G.in czechoslovakia so the USA was less suspicious of the USSR. I didn't talk about Glasnost and Perestroika because that was introduced a few yeas later
There was the source question, Vietnam and weak leadership, forgot the other which I answered. Anyone remember it?
Original post by agcdoctor
There was the source question, Vietnam and weak leadership, forgot the other which I answered. Anyone remember it?

I did the other one, it was like 'To what extent did the Nuclear Arms Race reduce agression from 55-63' Or something, I found that the easiest. Completely screwed up the Vietnam one as I had no idea what to write for the 3rd option
Reply 18
[QUOTE="chemspaz;72206784"]
Original post by emilia6
i think the question didnt really lend
I think u can talk about Gorbachev because the question includes 1985 ( well I hope you can lol) so I talked about the Geneva summit and lack of intervention after solidarity had been legalised again as opposed to Brezhnev who suppressed social discontent E. G.in czechoslovakia so the USA was less suspicious of the USSR. I didn't talk about Glasnost and Perestroika because that was introduced a few yeas later

yeah i think you can too , i was just saying only released after exam that would be sufficient since he was in power 1985
Original post by Nellwatson12
I did the other one, it was like 'To what extent did the Nuclear Arms Race reduce agression from 55-63' Or something, I found that the easiest. Completely screwed up the Vietnam one as I had no idea what to write for the 3rd option

Thank you so much, I completely forgot. I did the same for the Vietnam one too haha
:3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending