The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Didnt Aqa techincally give us a question on Financial Markets as Monetary Policy is a apart of that topic?
Original post by CricketMaster123
Didnt Aqa techincally give us a question on Financial Markets as Monetary Policy is a apart of that topic?

That was focussed on monetary policy not explicitly financial markets
How do you work this out?
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't remember being taught how to work out the change in real GDP per capita from base years but this is what i did to work it out, and it makes sense in my head at least xD.I did the rise in GDP/Rise in Population and then divided that by the rise in inflation, then times the answer by 100.

100% increase in GDP
20% increase in population
50% increase in Price Level

so 100/20 = 55/50 is 0.1
0.1 *100 = 10%
I looked at the mark scheme and the answer was correct, and i hope the method is too xP
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GTHargs
Thats not setting economics aside, demographic factors are one of the governing dynamics of economics.

Ye I mean we don't explicitly cover population etc on the econ syllabus but was worth a mention so why not
Original post by GTHargs
There is so much micro to link.

Start with possible market failures:

Asymmetric information- this can lead to moral hazard as only the bankers realise the full extent of the risk involved in a transaction (e.g. originating a sub-prime mortgage) but their incentives are such that they take excessive risk and overproduce certain risky financial products as they stand to gain from this increase in output via commissions but they are not liable to the costs. Moral hazard can also occur in insurance markets. Asymmetric information may also lead to exploitation by a financial institution, selling consumers products that they don't really need but making them believe that they do (e.g. PPI). Thirdly, asymmetric info may cause adverse selection which has quite a long explanation but can lead to rising prices of insurance premiums. Finally, the asymmetry of information between owners and managers can allow excessive risk to build up.

Regulation: improve information standards, scrutiny by the PRA of riskiness of bank assets, make originators and bankers liable to the success of the products they sell

Negative externalities: cost for the taxpayer of bank failure, loss of savings after bank failure, loss of income and lower living standards if the financial crisis leads a wider economic crisis in the real economy.

Regulation:raise capital/leverage ratios to prevent bank failure, raise liquidity ratios to prevent a bank run, provide emergency liquidity to prevent a credit crunch, insure deposits, nationalisation of the banks

Monopoly pricing - money markets are dominated by oligopolists, the large commercial banks, therefore they can exploit their power through collusion as was seen during the rigging of LIBOR.

Regulation:FCA impose a price ceiling or heavy fine offenders or break up commercial banks or improve contestability

Lack of equity - high premiums on insurance are regressive, poor are punished the most as they lose their jobs first are most likely to lose their house and have to bail out the banks.

Speculation and bubbles can also lead to market failure as prices rise far above their intrinsic value leading to a misallocation of resources

EVALUATION: govt failure - unintended consequences, information problems, cost of oversight and admin, slow the recovery, loss of jobs; should the banks be left to fail? etc....

Macro aspects are more obvious:

Credit crunch
Systemic risk
Role in reallocating savings
Monetary policy

There is plenty there which is why I think it is likely that it will come up.

This really clears things up so thanks! just one thing, I am unsure of how insurance premiums can link into financial markets? I though adverse selection was a problem with private health etc. So what is it to do with banks and the financial market?
In my paper 2 exam, I answered the question about unemployment and how a fall in unemployment will clash with other macro-objectives. I spoke about how a fall in unemployment will lead to inflation (SRPC), and then said how this will cause a worsening of the balance of payments because inflation will cause a fall in exports but a surge in imports. Is this correct?
Reply 967
How would you work out the weighted index?
Original post by J2671
How would you work out the weighted index?

(%change in price x weight + percentage change in price x weight) / (adding all weights)
Paper 3 is gonna ruin me😭😭
Why do u say that?
Anyways what do u guys think will be on paper 3 I think it will be something which includes micro and macro l.
Paper 1 and 2 have already ruined me :smile:'
Original post by Akay111
Anyways what do u guys think will be on paper 3 I think it will be something which includes micro and macro l.

Thats what paper 3 is...
No I mean for the 25 marker
If the last 50 markers are based around financial markets then I've failed.
Reply 976
Original post by keynes24
(%change in price x weight + percentage change in price x weight) / (adding all weights)

So the answer should be 110
Original post by Akay111
If the last 50 markers are based around financial markets then I've failed.

Now's your chance to learn it!!! All the topics I skipped im revising because I have done the revision for everything else :biggrin:
finance and behavioral economics chapters is horrendous for me, for paper 1 i think i got an A, paper 2 HOPEFULLY A*, and for paper 3 idk the layout, structure, techniques, literally have to recap micro and macro all over the weekend :frown:
find the behavioral stuff beyond useless

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending