The Student Room Group

Brighton

#1 keeper Stockdale left for 'Arry's Birmingham, which suggested Chris Hughton had a major goalkeeping signing coming and he's delivered: Australia's #1 and apparently a great signing on FIFA 17.

For a club record fee of £undisclosed. (No news on if this will be beaten with an Arsenal-y purchase at £undisclosed + 1p)

The fixture list is very surreal this season. Even got a friendly against Atletico Madrid.

That Chris Hughton (and Bielsa) wasn't even mentioned for the England job (at least given the likes of Bruce and Pardew, never mind Shearer and Neville, were) is absurd though typical, and I for one am happy he wasn't linked.

Apologies to the people of Hove for not including you in the title but no one cares.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ozzyoscy
#1 keeper Stockdale left for 'Arry's Birmingham, which suggested Chris Hughton had a major goalkeeping signing coming and he's delivered: Australia's #1 and apparently a great signing on FIFA 17.

For a club record fee of £undisclosed. (No news on if this will be beaten with an Arsenal-y purchase at £undisclosed + 1p)

The fixture list is very surreal this season. Even got a friendly against Atletico Madrid.

That Chris Hughton (and Bielsa) wasn't even mentioned for the England job (at least given the likes of Bruce and Pardew, never mind Shearer and Neville, were) is absurd though typical, and I for one am happy he wasn't linked.

Apologies to the people of Hove for not including you in the title but no one cares.

Be interesting to see who they get then.

Possible targets include Ruddy or even Joe Hart!
http://talksport.com/football/brighton-and-hove-albion-transfer-news-five-goalkeeper-targets-seagulls-170614242989?p=1
Reply 2
Original post by UWS

Be interesting to see who they get then.

Possible targets include Ruddy or even Joe Hart!
http://talksport.com/football/brighton-and-hove-albion-transfer-news-five-goalkeeper-targets-seagulls-170614242989?p=1

Erm...

For a club record fee of £undisclosed.
Reply 3
Brighton have broken their record transfer fee 3 times in a row now.

Before the window, Brighton would give it a good go before crumbling in the last few months while all the relegation rivals pick up shock points, and would likely finish 19th or 20th. So these foreign players will show how good Brighton's scouting is at this level.

My dislike for Dale Stephens grows with every game since his selfish petulance screwed Brighton out of promotion a year ago. He's as much of a **** as he looks. Don't look down on your teammates for making a mistake if you're going to make a costly one yourself later, ya dozy mare.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Not that I thought they'd sack him before the end of the season, but been crossing my fingers since August that Wenger stayed until Brighton played them twice.

Hoping if he does get sacked or walks it'll be now before the games against relegation rivals.
Well done Brighton for making :arsenal: the new Sunderland. We'd have to suffer relegation before the blinkered man realises the damage he's done to the club.
Not that I thought they'd sack him before the end of the season, but been crossing my fingers since August that Wenger stayed until Brighton played them twice.

Hoping if he does get sacked or walks it'll be now before the games against relegation rivals.

Not a chance he goes until the end of the season. You've done well to play them now!
Reply 7
Just as much, it's helped Newcastle were the only club not to really spend in the summer, West Brom sacking Pulis and West Ham going back to their regular West Ham level.

Southampton are quietly at risk. Their results haven't been that bad, but they're not taking points off their rivals.
Original post by shawn_o1
Well done Brighton for making :arsenal: the new Sunderland. We'd have to suffer relegation before the blinkered man realises the damage he's done to the club.

If Arsenal win the Europa League, it'll be a successful season for them, better than winning the F.A. Cup really.

So unless Wenger walks he's not going anywhere while they're still winning trophies and sitting at the top table, even if it's as a eunuch feeding on the scraps.
(edited 6 years ago)
Pascal Gross is The Steal of The Season. The man's got 5 goals and 8 assists and all he cost was 3 million quid. Absolutely ludicrous. Good on Brighton to carry out some good signings , Jurgen Locadia and Jose Izquierdo are gonna be great talents down the line
Reply 9
Very worrying times but VERY lucky other results went our way. Brighton've lost 2 'must win' games we needed points from.

If they flop again at home to Huddersfield and away to Palace, they legitimately face going the last 9 matches with 0 points and for the third or so season in a row choking. We'd have to rely on the also-legitimate possibility of West Brom, Stoke and Southampton being so poor that they don't get the 6+ points necessary to leapfrog us.
Reply 10
Brighton's annual choking period is definitely underway and I'll have to be happy with a point and hope Southampton don't bounce back. 35 points can be enough given how dire the bottom 3 and their managers are/were. Thank God for Wenger staying at Arsenal.
Reply 11
Phew. A surprise point at home to a second-string Spurs and a point away to Burnley (maximum we could've got at Burnley) means only 18th remains to avoid.

Relegation still very much a possibility. If Arsenal reach the Europa League final, it'll be a second-string away to Huddersfield on the final day where they can get 3 points. All the other teams have winnable games that can get them the points they need, if no one slips up more than once now.
Reply 12
Reply 13
My home club sign one of my other country's star players for a record fee. :nutcase:

Jahanbaksh is a Golden Boot winner in the Eredivisie despite being a winger.

Hughton not keeping still and making great signings.
(edited 5 years ago)
The big 2nd season splurge on signings reminds me of the 2012-13 season in which two clubs who were promoted the season before did similar transfer business and went different directions :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by hello_shawn
The big 2nd season splurge on signings reminds me of the 2012-13 season in which two clubs who were promoted the season before did similar transfer business and went different directions :wink:

Was the crap one QPR?

Thankfully the transfer policy is the complete opposite of signing old names who're just there for the pay day. Jahanbaksh for example is really good at integrating into new teams. His English is fluent, as was his Dutch before.
Reply 16
Everyone welcome BILLY ARCE to the club.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2018/august/albion-sign-ecuadorian-youngster/

Anyone who sounds like a character from the Viz is alright by me!
Reply 17
The annual chokejob is fully underway for the 5th season in a row.

A point now is as good as 3 points pre-April. Have to hope Cardiff, like previous years with our rivals, are bigger chokers but they don't look it. Brighton were my favourites to go down between the 2 teams after Cardiff's Chelsea match, and it's got far worse since.
Reply 18
Brighton's annual choking period is definitely underway and I'll have to be happy with a point and hope Southampton don't bounce back. 35 points can be enough given how dire the bottom 3 and their managers are/were. Thank God for Wenger staying at Arsenal.

Double post but only just realised I said the same thing about choking last year. :lol:
Reply 19
OMFG

Chris Hughton sacked???

Absolute uproar and I'm in total shock. The Gus sacking was weird, Garcia resigning was iffy, but I thought the chairman was better than this.

The players are going to be unhappy too. Stunned. Absolutely stunned.

Quick Reply

Latest