The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SteamboatMickey
See I am really good at coming up with abstract ideas based on reason and judgement and given facts... I cannot for the life of me deal with numbers! I haven't a mathematical brain or a super creative brain for things /too/ open to interpretation (like art). I think I have the brain of a philosopher, though not one who deals with arithmetic.

Many of the best philosophers were mathematicians as well :yep: e.g. Rene Descartes so those kinds of minds are not mutually exclusive!
Original post by Doonesbury
Nah!

:wink:

:tongue:

History the mystery
Original post by wolfmoon88
Many of the best philosophers were mathematicians as well :yep: e.g. Rene Descartes so those kinds of minds are not mutually exclusive!

I know, hence I said "one who struggles with arithmetic". My brother did philosophy at Leeds uni, and he did lots
of maths for it. However, there are amazing philosophers and scientists who struggled when using numbers but still got things right or said some interesting and important things. :tongue: I think it's those who I have a brain most like!
I know, hence I said "one who struggles with arithmetic". My brother did philosophy at Leeds uni, and he did lots
of maths for it. However, there are amazing philosophers and scientists who struggled when using numbers but still got things right or said some interesting and important things. :tongue: I think it's those who I have a brain most like!

Fair thing :tongue: That's true, a lot of science is chance anyways :lol:
Original post by wolfmoon88
Fair thing :tongue: That's true, a lot of science is chance anyways :lol:

Silly deductive method :tongue: joking
Silly deductive method :tongue: joking

meh :rofl: :hugs:
Reply 3066
See I am really good at coming up with abstract ideas based on reason and judgement and given facts... I cannot for the life of me deal with numbers! I haven't a mathematical brain or a super creative brain for things /too/ open to interpretation (like art). I think I have the brain of a philosopher, though not one who deals with arithmetic.

Everyone used to get mad at me because I couldn't do maths and my drawings were hopeless...

That's why you and the good Dr S are such kindred spirits. Well I can't vouch for his artistic abilities but his arithmetic is certainly shocking.

(That's a joke btw, in case he's reading.... :afraid:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
That's why you and the good Dr S are such kindred spirits. Well I can't vouch for his artistic abilities but his arithmetic is certainly shocking.

(That's a joke btw, in case he's reading.... :afraid:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: My maths is also equally shocking. I actually loved astronomy growing up and my dream was to be an astronaut or astronomer and I could always understand complex concepts I just... couldn't do the maths. :frown: In fact the first thing I ever said/did in class was explain in great depth a supernova and a constellation :tongue:

Then I found History which satisfies my inquisitive mind and doesn't alienate us not-mathsy folk
(edited 6 years ago)
:lol: My maths is also equally shocking. I actually loved astronomy growing up and my dream was to be an astronaut or astronomer and I could always understand complex concepts I just... couldn't do the maths. :frown: In fact the first thing I ever said/did in class was explain in great depth a supernova and a constellation :tongue:

Then I found History which satisfies my inquisitive mind and doesn't alienate us not-mathsy folk

Exactly why I couldn't do astrophysics, aeronautical engineering, or related fields :frown:
Original post by Steliata
Well I had Chinese and Mechanics 2 today and I tell you what those papers were a blessing! 😁

Thanks be to Edexcel 👏 (for once)

M2 nice??? I got destroyed by it... no past paper was that difficult imo
Original post by Xphoenix
M2 nice??? I got destroyed by it... no past paper was that difficult imo

One of my best friends struggled with it :frown:
One of my best friends struggled with it :frown:

I've literally never seen a folded lamina in that form before... And then I just forgot how to do maths from there onwards. Just hoping I pass the module now, because I can make it up elsewhere
I've literally never seen a folded lamina in that form before... And then I just forgot how to do maths from there onwards. Just hoping I pass the module now, because I can make it up elsewhere

Slightly off-topic but I swear someone has it out for us with some of these exams, old and new style, and just the reforms in general. :frown: Resigned myself to clearing because even though I did well last year and have done consistently for two years... it really depends on the marker and being lucky with the questions :frown: I'd get my uni place if they looked at my sixth form work over a period of months and across all my subjects!!
(edited 6 years ago)

I used some complicated way to do it (got the answer though) - but you could just have done the two rectangles and added the triangle twice :Z

See I am really good at coming up with abstract ideas based on reason and judgement and given facts...

Most of maths has nothing to do with numbers -- it's dealing with abstract concepts and ideas based on actual reason and logic and given facts where the logic is truly soundproof and the given facts truly are given (axiomatically).
Original post by sanchit117
I used some complicated way to do it (got the answer though) - but you could just have done the two rectangles and added the triangle twice :Z

Yeah, at first I was going to attempt to find the centre of mass of the two trapeziums but then I decided to just double the mass of the triangle instead.
Original post by Zacken
Most of maths has nothing to do with numbers -- it's dealing with abstract concepts and ideas based on actual reason and logic and given facts where the logic is truly soundproof and the given facts truly are given (axiomatically).

Lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3077
Original post by sanchit117

Yeah I done that too, pretty sure it'll be the standard method since CoM of a generic trapezoid isn't on spec.
Original post by Zacken

Well I can do some maths really well. Algebra and things like that, and I can do lots of philosophy involved in undergraduate studies which is more heavily maths based. I could always do the A* questions in a GCSE revision book, and not the easier ones. I've got a weird brain.
Well I can do some maths really well. Algebra and things like that, and I can do lots of philosophy involved in undergraduate studies which is more heavily maths based. I could always do the A* questions in a GCSE revision book, and not the easier ones. I've got a weird brain.

I did better in A level maths than GCSE, go figure

Latest

Trending

Trending