The Student Room Group

P3 Unofficial Mark Scheme

I'm not smartest so I don't intend on making it but I thought I'd make the thread to save anyone else the effort 😀 (AQA)
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ACMA2001
I'm not smartest so I don't intend on making it but I thought I'd make the thread to save anyone else the effort 😀 (AQA)

I don't imagine many people will be able to come up with a mark scheme for this, as it was a hard paper so not many people will know every answer, but sure I'll give it a go 😀

the frequency was 20,000Hz (1 mark)
One of the calculations was like 1.3x10^12 (3 marks)
CT scans are still used because they provide very detailed images of the inside of the body (1)
They're used instead of ultrasound because they produce a more detailed image than ultrasound (1)
The train question) it is able to travel at constant speed whilst accelerating, as it's travelling towards the centre of the circle due to centripetal force, so the centripetal force causes it to accelerate towards the centre while keeping a steady speed (3)
It was track B, because the radius was larger, with less centripetal force, so the train could go around track B much quicker without toppling (2)
The train is made to tilt so it can travel faster without toppling (1)
Why did the train that had its line of action within the rails not topple) no resultant moment was made so the train didn't topple (1)
Centre of mass is the point at which the mass of an object appears to be concentrated (1)
Two control variables (first question) same strength/size of magnet and the paper funnel should be clamped at the same distance apart (2)
6 marker
Cba to write it all, but basically you name the parts of the eye and the roles they play in making an image, and where the image is formed for short sighted/long sighted people to make the image blurry (6)
Ultrasound question) it's measured by the distance from the entrance to the crack, and the reflection from the crack back to the Entrance (2)
What else do you need to know to measure the distance? The length of the wing or speed of the ultrasound (1)
3 conclusions about the refractive index of the glass of the two different lenses) diverging lens was more powerful, as the refractive index was greater for the same light intensity, the glass of the diverging lens had more curvature due to it being more powerful, the diverging lens' glass had a shorter focal length as shorter focal length means more powerful refractive index (really not sure on this one) (3)
Two factors that affect the power of a lens, focal length, refractive index or curvature (2)
The hydraulics question) liquids property is that they're virtually incompressible, (1)
I was very unsure in the rest of this question so no answers,
The last 2 questions) the relationship was inversely proportional, because as the value on the X axis went up the value on the Y axis went down (with data) (2)
A computerised image is better because angle degree of tilt can be measured more accurately (1)
Angle of refraction question 12.34° (3)
Potatoe question) centre of mass drawn on bottom of potatoe at the intersection with the middle knife (1)
Pendulum question) frequency= 12.5 (3)
Eyesight) 2.5 dioptres (3)
Benefit of a pair of glasses with lens adjustment) can treat both short and long sight issues (1)
Light on camera) CCD (1)
Tick boxes) convex/converging lens= both real and virtual images can be formed
Concave/diverging= only virtual images can be formed (2)
Hope this is alright I've missed a few questions so please add to it, I know missed a few calculations so feel free to add to it
I've probably got a few wrong so correct me if I'm wrong
My grade boundary predictions:
the paper wasn't as hard as last year, but P3 tends to be lower than everything else, and to be fair the paper was still difficult so I'm gonna say,
A*) 39
A) 33
B) 29
C) 24
D)19
E) 13
Enjoy ☺️

Edit** I've missed around 12 marks and I can't remember the other questions/calculations so I'd appreciate if people were to post the other questions/answers
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Idontlikeexams
I don't imagine many people will be able to come up with a mark scheme for this, as it was a hard paper so not many people will know every answer 😂 😂, but I remember the frequency was 20,000Hz (1 mark)
CT scans are still used because they provide very detailed images of the inside of the body (1)
They're used instead of ultrasound because they produce a more detailed image than ultrasound (1)
The train question) it is able to travel at constant speed whilst accelerating, as it's travelling towards the centre of the circle due to centripetal force, so the centripetal force causes it to accelerate towards the centre while keeping a steady speed (3)
It was track B, because the radius was larger, with less centripetal force, so the train could go around track B much quicker without toppling (2)
Why did the train that had its line of action within the rails not topple) no resultant moment was made so the train didn't topple (1)
Centre of mass is the point at which the mass of an object appears to be concentrated (1)
Two control variables (first question) same strength/size of magnet and the paper funnel should be clamped at the same distance apart (1)
6 marker
Cba to write it all, but basically you name the parts of the eye and the roles they play in making an image, and where the image is formed for short sighted/long sighted people to make the image blurry (6)
Ultrasound question) it's measured by the distance from the entrance to the crack, and the reflection from the crack back to the Entrance (2)
What else do you need to know to measure the distance? The length of the wing or speed of the ultrasound (1)
Another way to measure stopping distance was to measure how high the weight went up (1)
3 conclusions about the refractive index of the glass of the two different lenses) diverging lens was more powerful, as the refractive index was greater for the same light intensity, the glass of the diverging lens had more curvature due to it being more powerful, the diverging lens' glass had a shorter focal length as shorter focal length means more powerful refractive index (really not sure on this one) (3)
Two factors that affect the power of a lens, focal length, refractive index or curvature (2)
The hydraulics question) liquids property is that they're virtually incompressible, (2)
The last 2 questions) the relationship was inversely proportional, because as the value on the X axis went up the value on the Y axis went down (add data) (2)
A computerised image is better because you can adapt it technologically to what information you actually need to make the train better (again really not sure) (1)

Hope this is alright I've missed a few questions so please add to it, I know missed a few calculations so feel free to add to it
I've probably got quite a bit wrong so correct me if I'm wrong
Grade boundary predictions the paper wasn't as hard as last year, but P3 tends to be lower than everything else and the paper was still difficult so
A*) 39
A) 33
B) 29
C) 24
D)19
E) 13
Enjoy ☺️

If those are the grade boundaries then I am saved.
It may be more around the 40 mark for an A* but after last year's A* was 36 I'm staying optimistic that it's gonna be low again this year 😜
Reply 4
Some ideas/improvements

I don't imagine many people will be able to come up with a mark scheme for this, as it was a hard paper so not many people will know every answer 😂 😂, but I remember the frequency was 20,000Hz (1 mark)
Why did the train that had its line of action within the rails not topple - no resultant moment was made so the train didn't topple (1)
Centre of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is thought to be concentrated (1)
Two control variables (first question) same strength/size/direction of magnet and the paper funnel should be clamped at the same distance apart (1)
6 marker
Another way to measure stopping distance was to measure how high the weight went up (1)
The hydraulics question) liquids property is that they're virtually incompressible, (2)
Potato question: X should be drawn in the centre, in like with where the forks intersect (1 mark)
Pendulum: 5 (2/3 marks)
Angle of refraction: 12.34 degrees [It was something around this, might be 18.34?] (3 marks)
Eyesight: power of 1.5 [again can't really remember] and units of dioptres (3 marks)
Benefit of a changing refractive index lens: Saves money on glasses expense (1 mark)

The last 2 questions) the relationship was inversely proportional, because as the value on the X axis went up the value on the Y axis went down, where the constant of k was 6000 causing y = k/x (add data) (2)
A computerised image is better because angle degree of tilt can be measured more accurately/ cheaper than building model/ can reset animation and alter potential events (1)
Light on a camera: CCD (Chraged Couple Device)

Grade boundary predictions the paper wasn't as hard as last year, but P3 tends to be lower than everything else and the paper was still difficult so
A*) 39
A) 33
B) 29
C) 24
D)19
E) 13
Enjoy ☺️

Two control variables (first question) same strength/size of magnet and the paper funnel should be clamped at the same distance apart (1)
6 marker
The last 2 questions) the relationship was inversely proportional, because as the value on the X axis went up the value on the Y axis went down (add data) (2)
A computerised image is better because you can adapt it technologically to what information you actually need to make the train better (again really not sure) (1)

A*) 39
A) 33
B) 29
C) 24
D)19
E) 13
Enjoy ☺️
Thank you!! However I don't think that was the answer to the dioptres question
Original post by Eiekekeie
Some ideas/improvements
Reply 6
The answer was 2.5 for the dioptres question myself being an idiot forgot to convert 40 cm to m.. so i got 0.025...
Original post by smaiu
The answer was 2.5 for the dioptres question myself being an idiot forgot to convert 40 cm to m.. so i got 0.025...

That's the one, cheers! Also don't feel bad, I wrote the unit as J not D in the exam so I'm equally dumb 😂😂
Original post by Eiekekeie
Some ideas/improvements

May I ask what the pendulum question was, as I don't distinctly remember it being in the exam, also, for one of the calculations did you get 1.3x10^12?
May I ask what the pendulum question was, as I don't distinctly remember it being in the exam, also, for one of the calculations did you get 1.3x10^12?

It was a potato balanced on a knife by two forks.

The train was track A, because it had a smaller radius, so larger centripetal force.

That's all I can remember right now.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by EdexcelAreIdiots

The train was track A, because it had a smaller radius, so larger centripetal force.

The power calculation was 2.5 D (1/0.4).

The angle of refraction was 12 degrees. (The refractive index given was 1.6, and the angle of incidence was 20 degrees).

It couldn't possibly be track A, it may go the round the corner quicker due to a shorter bend but more force is needed to keep it in place, so it won't go as fast

But cheers!
Was there a calculation for the pendulum question?

The power calculation was 2.5 D (1/0.4).

The angle of refraction was 12 degrees. (The refractive index given was 1.6, and the angle of incidence was 20 degrees).

Was there a calculation for the pendulum question?

It gave you half an oscillation (0.04), and asked you to work out Periodic time I think (not sure though).
It couldn't possibly be track A, it may go the round the corner quicker due to a shorter bend but more force is needed to keep it in place, so it won't go as fast

But cheers!

But surely it would have less distance to travel, so it can travel faster?
It gave you half an oscillation (0.04), and asked you to work out Periodic time I think (not sure though).

Oh Yeah I remember it now it asked to work out the frequency which was 1/the Periodic time and the periodic time is one complete oscillation so it was 1/0.08
Reply 15
But surely it would have less distance to travel, so it can travel faster?

Going around a corner more quickly doesnt necessarily mean you have to be faster. I think you are getiing confused between "quickly" and "fast". "Quickly", is about the time it takes for the car to go around the corner. Car going around a corner "fast" is a measure of speed without taking time into consideration.
Original post by Blessen
Going around a corner more quickly doesnt necessarily mean you have to be faster. I think you are getiing confused between "quickly" and "fast". "Quickly", is about the time it takes for the car to go around the corner. Car going around a corner "fast" is a measure of speed without taking time into consideration.

Well I'm only going by what my physics teacher tought me, what the CGP revision books say, and what Google says ✌️everyone who I spoke to after the exam said track B and we explained it to our teacher who also agreed it was track B and if we're all wrong then I'll buy you a pint or 10 😂🍻
Original post by Blessen

Also the question was, what train could travel round the corner at the highest speed, not more quickly
Well I'm only going by what my physics teacher tought me, what the CGP revision books say, and what Google says ✌️everyone who I spoke to after the exam said track B and we explained it to our teacher who also agreed it was track B and if we're all wrong then I'll buy you a pint or 10 😂🍻

I feel much better now cause i wrote track B and everyone else wrote track A and I've been feeling like my answer was wrong
Reply 19
I don't imagine many people will be able to come up with a mark scheme for this, as it was a hard paper so not many people will know every answer, but sure I'll give it a go 😀

the frequency was 20,000Hz (1 mark)
Two control variables (first question) same strength/size of magnet and the paper funnel should be clamped at the same distance apart (2)
6 marker
The hydraulics question) liquids property is that they're virtually incompressible, (1)
The last 2 questions) the relationship was inversely proportional, because as the value on the X axis went up the value on the Y axis went down (with data) (2)
A computerised image is better because angle degree of tilt can be measured more accurately (1)
Angle of refraction question 12.34° (3)
Potatoe question) centre of mass drawn on bottom of potatoe at the intersection with the middle knife (1)
Pendulum question) frequency= 12.5 (3)
Eyesight) 2.5 dioptres (3)
Benefit of a pair of glasses with lens adjustment) can treat both short and long sight issues (1)
Light on camera) CCD (1)
Tick boxes) convex/converging lens= both real and virtual images can be formed
Concave/diverging= only virtual images can be formed (2)
I've probably got a few wrong so correct me if I'm wrong
My grade boundary predictions:
the paper wasn't as hard as last year, but P3 tends to be lower than everything else, and to be fair the paper was still difficult so I'm gonna say,
A*) 39
A) 33
B) 29
C) 24
D)19
E) 13
Enjoy ☺️

Edit** I've missed around 12 marks and I can't remember the other questions/calculations so I'd appreciate if people were to post the other questions/answers

Shoulnt the power be 0.025 as focal lenght is usually measure in cm and its a diverging lense so the power should always be below 1, (diverging lenses make everything small looking and converging makes things big ONLY if its closer than the principle focus) please update the unofficial markscheme if i am not wrong

Quick Reply

Latest