The Student Room Group

A-level Science

What textbooks help you excel A-level Physics and Chemistry? Do CGP books help? And what would you say is the best way you learnt you Physics and Chemistry knowledge?
Reply 1
Original post by Psychedeliyaa
What textbooks help you excel A-level Physics and Chemistry? Do CGP books help? And what would you say is the best way you learnt you Physics and Chemistry knowledge?

what board?
Reply 2
Original post by bruh2132
what board?

Any. Namely AQA, Edexcel or OCR though.
Reply 3
Original post by Psychedeliyaa
Any. Namely AQA, Edexcel or OCR though.

well, i do AQA physics and Edexcel chemistry.
For chemistry, I don't really use a textbook but for notes, i read chemrevise which is really nice and precise, however, the textbook might be good for questions as you'll only have 1-2 past papers. I suggest reading notes before lessons to get ahead as it makes it a lot easier to understand. Also, do a lot of calculations questions.

For Physics it's not really about learning because that's pretty easy its just that the questions that come up can be really hard so do Isaac physics and do questions on physics and maths tutor website by topic
For Physics, I found the Nelson Thornes textbook was quite good at helping you to understand the content.

However, the questions in the actual paper will be so radically different, to the examples and questions in it. Physics is an extremely hard subject (at least for me). D:

For chemistry, I'll admit I've hardly looked at the text book because I've gotten good notes in class. The CGP revision guide is a must for AS, but I've found for A2, it doesn't go into much doesn't detail, for example, in buffers and transitions metals.

Chemrevise is an amazing online revision guide to use, and alevelchemistry.com is also good to use a long the year for notes and questions by topic to practice.

PS. AQA chemistry has had a change, all exams are now linear and the style of questions are actually completely different to anything you've seen, which is so frustrating.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
I also forgot that for physics do isaac physics and enter all the challenges and Olympiads you can as this will help your problem solving a lot which is essential
I found that revision guides really helped me at gcse but at as level, not so much gotta say.

Quick Reply

Latest