The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuggetsarelife
finance and behavioral economics chapters is horrendous for me, for paper 1 i think i got an A, paper 2 HOPEFULLY A*, and for paper 3 idk the layout, structure, techniques, literally have to recap micro and macro all over the weekend :frown:

I want to think I got an A but my 9 and 15 markers were both weak in both papers so it all depends on them 0_0 probably flopped :/

Yeah I hate financial markets im just watching econdalplus haha I would recap it all but I have maths the next day so priority, don't feel nervous. Everyone is not used to paper 3 so you aren't the only one :smile:
Original post by physicsamor
I want to think I got an A but my 9 and 15 markers were both weak in both papers so it all depends on them 0_0 probably flopped :/

Yeah I hate financial markets im just watching econdalplus haha I would recap it all but I have maths the next day so priority, don't feel nervous. Everyone is not used to paper 3 so you aren't the only one :smile:

Do we not get a choice of what context we answer in paper 3? :eek:

yeah worst thing is that we haven't had a teacher all year for macro so we self taught, i get the idea of the finance chapter, when it comes to regulation and market failure, it flies over my head
Original post by BintM
Do we not get a choice of what context we answer in paper 3? :eek:
unfortunately there's only one context but you do get given sufficient extracts which give you clues on what to write :smile:
unfortunately there's only one context but you do get given sufficient extracts which give you clues on what to write :smile:

I feel sad now, I thought i'd be fine as well :facepalm:
Need to do some serious revision now :redface:
Original post by Nuggetsarelife
yeah worst thing is that we haven't had a teacher all year for macro so we self taught, i get the idea of the finance chapter, when it comes to regulation and market failure, it flies over my head

oh wow ×-× I mean even with my teacher teaching me I still don't get it haha :tongue:
Original post by Gemmamcconville
This really clears things up so thanks! just one thing, I am unsure of how insurance premiums can link into financial markets? I though adverse selection was a problem with private health etc. So what is it to do with banks and the financial market?

Just because it isn't stocks and shares doesn't mean its not financial markets. Insurance schemes are financial products. If this still doesn't sit right with you then you can think of insurance given out to financial institutions to protect them from losses as the same thing. This happened in the financial crisis where banks bought CDS (credit default swaps) to limit their losses, but premiums rose as a result of asymmetric information.

Also banks have insurance departments, insurance is just a different type of financial markets.
Original post by BintM
I feel sad now, I thought i'd be fine as well :facepalm:
Need to do some serious revision now :redface:

You will be fine!! Last exam final push! :smile:
Okay I think the markscheme for this question is wrong or I'm just tired. The question is calculating xed. The simplified version is that demand for good x increases from 200 to 3300 when prices for good y increase from 1.5% to 9%

The answer is 0.30

But I can't get that
It's asked to calculate xed for good x

I am using new demand-old demand /old demand x 100 for the % change in demand is that wrong?

Maybe I'm turning crazy hahA
Reply 989
I messed up my macro exam so bad:frown: Legit so upset and feel sick thinking about it tbh, I need an A in economics as well to get into uni.
Original post by rebeccams
I messed up my macro exam so bad:frown: Legit so upset and feel sick thinking about it tbh, I need an A in economics as well to get into uni.

I relate i honestiy can't afford to get anything but an A because I will berejected but I just honestly don't think I will. Plus I don't even think my answers were legible :frown: but you have to try and think positive there's still one more paper!
I really don't think aqa would be so abrupt in introducing financial markets
you would think they would ease in into the syllabus:
e.g.
first introduce it into the section 2 of the macro paper so students have a choice of picking it
then maybe introduce it into one of the context questions so students are more narrowed in choice
then perhaps introduce it into paper three
I really don't think aqa would be so abrupt in introducing financial markets you would think they would ease in into the syllabus: e.g. first introduce it into the section 2 of the macro paper so students have a choice of picking it then maybe introduce it into one of the context questions so students are more narrowed in choice then perhaps introduce it into paper three
Can some help me please. So if financial markets came up, I understand micro for example market failures and gov failures, but when speaking about macro would it be right to talk about credit crunch and systemic risk as in if we have a meltdown of financial system it will cause potential reccesion, fall in AD, fall in real GDP, Unemployment and potentially deflation? is there any other macro links to financial markets, not sure how to use monetary policy in the right context.
Original post by Gemmamcconville
Can some help me please. So if financial markets came up, I understand micro for example market failures and gov failures, but when speaking about macro would it be right to talk about credit crunch and systemic risk as in if we have a meltdown of financial system it will cause potential reccesion, fall in AD, fall in real GDP, Unemployment and potentially deflation? is there any other macro links to financial markets, not sure how to use monetary policy in the right context.

For monetary policy you could discuss how QE has enabled the strengthening of bank balance sheets
Original post by CricketMaster123
Didnt Aqa techincally give us a question on Financial Markets as Monetary Policy is a apart of that topic?

Original post by GTHargs
That was focussed on monetary policy not explicitly financial markets

You could have discussed that post 2008, banks have strict liquidity and capital ratios so low interest rates aren't so useful because the banks aren't able and not so willing to lend in high quantities.
Original post by GTHargs
Thats not setting economics aside, demographic factors are one of the governing dynamics of economics.

Original post by archie341
Ye I mean we don't explicitly cover population etc on the econ syllabus but was worth a mention so why not

Mentioning thr ageing population was one of the best things you could have said in my opinion. The ageing population in Japan is one of the key reasons for their prolonged deflation. Monetary policy is likely to be ineffective in a place like Japan since such reflationary policy is unlikely to work due to the MPC of elderly people being far lower than younger people. Also, the fact that it wasn't mentioned in the extract shows good knowledge of Japan's economy - it's a superb evaluative point. I was surprised at how so many people discarded this factor in determining the effectiveness of interest rates because it's a huge factor, especially in Japan and increasingly in the developed world.
I don't know how to revise for synoptic, am I supposed to revise all of economics micro and macro AS and A2 ? I don't know if i have enough time to do that 😭
My teacher believes the following topics are likely to come up:

- labour markets: - productivity/poverty/inequality
Micro: wage rates labour market failure
Macro: SRAS&LRAS position and costs, unemployment and flexibility

- financial markets/
Micro - analysis of different markets (bonds types of banks and objectives) Macro - monetary policy, operation of the central bank and financial regulation

- behavioural economics
Micro - decision making, factors influencing D&S
macro - nudges for fiscal policy, supply side etc

- technological issues & competition policy - factors influencing market structure/ costs/ external economies of scale
Factors affecting LRAS

- externalities :
Micro - types of market failure
Macro - disadvantages of growth and international trade

- developing economics: - micro - commodity market inequality health and education , macro: policies and trade

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will keel over and die if I see financial markets anywhere in paper 3
Original post by cathartic
I don't know how to revise for synoptic, am I supposed to revise all of economics micro and macro AS and A2 ? I don't know if i have enough time to do that 😭
My teacher believes the following topics are likely to come up:

- labour markets: - productivity/poverty/inequality
Micro: wage rates labour market failure
Macro: SRAS&LRAS position and costs, unemployment and flexibility

- financial markets/
Micro - analysis of different markets (bonds types of banks and objectives) Macro - monetary policy, operation of the central bank and financial regulation

- behavioural economics
Micro - decision making, factors influencing D&S
macro - nudges for fiscal policy, supply side etc

- technological issues & competition policy - factors influencing market structure/ costs/ external economies of scale
Factors affecting LRAS

- externalities :
Micro - types of market failure
Macro - disadvantages of growth and international trade

- developing economics: - micro - commodity market inequality health and education , macro: policies and trade

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was an essay question on poverty in paper 1, so I don't think it's likely that it would come up again?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending