The Student Room Group

Have Taken a Gap Year Already, What If I Fail A-levels?

So, I've already taken a gap year after GCSE and now my last year at sixth form is coming to an end. I'm really not confident that I'm going to get the grades for my firm. As I have already taken a year out should I retake year13? That will look like I have been in sixth form for 4 years and I'll be starting uni at 20. Any advice on whether I should retake and get into my firm next year or just go to a bad uni? I'm looking to get into either Birmingham or Sussex to do economics. PLEASE HELP!!
It would be worth re-taking. BUT how do you know for sure you failed? You don't. Have faith in yourself. You tried your best, correct? You worked hard, yes? You gave it your all, am I right? Just relax, enjoy your summer and don't get too worked up. If you have failed, then yes retake because in the long run you will be much happier having gone to the uni you wanted to than rush through it to be miserable for a few years at a crappy university.
lol starting uni at 20. might as well just be a dinner lady.
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
It would be worth re-taking. BUT how do you know for sure you failed? You don't. Have faith in yourself. You tried your best, correct? You worked hard, yes? You gave it your all, am I right? Just relax, enjoy your summer and don't get too worked up. If you have failed, then yes retake because in the long run you will be much happier having gone to the uni you wanted to than rush through it to be miserable for a few years at a crappy university.

But will Unis like Birmingham or Sussex consider someone in my situation?
Original post by mayandtrump
So, I've already taken a gap year after GCSE and now my last year at sixth form is coming to an end. I'm really not confident that I'm going to get the grades for my firm. As I have already taken a year out should I retake year13? That will look like I have been in sixth form for 4 years and I'll be starting uni at 20. Any advice on whether I should retake and get into my firm next year or just go to a bad uni? I'm looking to get into either Birmingham or Sussex to do economics. PLEASE HELP!!

Me too! Starting uni at 20 with a bunch of 18 year olds is sure going to be weird but uni shouldn't mind as long as you didn't actually retake your a levels twice!
Reply 5
Original post by PuffyPrincess
Me too! Starting uni at 20 with a bunch of 18 year olds is sure going to be weird but uni shouldn't mind as long as you didn't actually retake your a levels twice!

Im in the middle of exams right now but want to retake next year. So I will have sat A-levels twice
Im in the middle of exams right now but want to retake next year. So I will have sat A-levels twice

That's only retaking once though unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. You had a gap year between gcses, and then took your A levels once- now you want to retake them once. This is fine. If you were to take your a levels that first time when you had your gap year, but failed them- so you would be retaking them now- a second retake would be unnacceptable.
Reply 7
That's only retaking once though unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. You had a gap year between gcses, and then took your A levels once- now you want to retake them once. This is fine. If you were to take your a levels that first time when you had your gap year, but failed them- so you would be retaking them now- a second retake would be unnacceptable.

Yh you're right, it will be my first retake attempt. But I think I'm more worried about my age tbh.

A second retake is unnacceptable? do you mean retaking twice is unnacceptable or failing the second retake is unnacceptable. im going to be retaking twice and i thought that it was alright. im going to be getting average results this summer but dont want average.
Original post by cheekychuss
A second retake is unnacceptable? do you mean retaking twice is unnacceptable or failing the second retake is unnacceptable. im going to be retaking twice and i thought that it was alright. im going to be getting average results this summer but dont want average.

Most universities heavily frown upon retaking twice, but I guess it depends on which subjects you're going for and which university you're going to. For example you would never be accepted onto any medicine, law or veterinary course having retook your a levels twice... Most top universities would flat out reject someone who has retook their a levels twice due to the fact everyone who did that would get the top grade; so there would be no way to seperate the best candidates for their course. Obviously this doesn't apply if there were some genuine extenuating circumstances surrounding the reason you had to retake your a levels so much and of course this is all subjective. It's also difficult to get your college to keep you on for 4 years since they have to pay the exam entrance fees ect
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10

So whats your situation if you don't mind me asking?

In my third year of A levels I sat one A level in the year (so both year 13 and 12). Not going to lie being two years older than everyone in my year 12 class was weird as I felt so out of place so I'd try avoid it if you can, once your at uni it wont be so bad though. also you can't actually get the funding to remain in education as they only give you on leniency year unless you have an education healthcare plan (which you can get if you failed for health reasons). again Unis such as university of Birmingham will often raise the entry requirements if you did three year A levels unless you have health reasons (I applied there and that is what they said). There is nothing wrong with going to uni a year late but It may be worth just seeing how things go and if you do badly I'd advice looking at other options.
(edited 6 years ago)
I also has a year out after GCSEs and I am now currently on a gap year before I start university in September. I didn't resit any years but as far as I know most places aren't really bothered about resitting as long as you get the required grades.
I'm currently on a gap year as my predicted grades last year were abysmal so didn't get an offer from my first choice university. I got my results in August and exceeded everything I had been predicted. I reapplied this year and got an unconditional from my first choice university (and have also been able to work and save up money!)
So if you get the grades and get to your preferred university, then great! If not it's honestly nothing to worry about, how old you are when you start university and if you have resat or not will not be an issue for almost all universities. If in doubt, ring the admissions teams at those universities and ask!
So whats your situation if you don't mind me asking?

I had to drop out in my second month of AS levels due to personal circumstances unrelated to my grades. I had a very long and boring year! Going away travelling as soon as my exams finish and hopefully will be able to work up enough money to pay for educational psychologist to waiver language requirement to start Trinity college dublin in Ireland 2018; fingers crossed. :smile:
my situation is that i started my A levels in 2014 then dropped out. started fresh in 2015 and then carried on to my second year in 2016 and im currently sitting my exams for my last year. I want to retake my second year this september. I want to study either economics or chemistry at a top 10 uni, would i be accepted?
#startinguniat20

Quick Reply

Latest