The Student Room Group

Resiting science gcse

Hi everyone, I was just wondering how can I re-sit my Science Additional GCSE in January? Are there any colleges that would take me in? Also what colleges would take me in for GCSE Maths re-sit?
Reply 1
I don't believe that you can resit a Science GCSE, only English Language or Maths, but you'll have to check with colleges around your area/your current school and find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by Ozkes
Hi everyone, I was just wondering how can I re-sit my Science Additional GCSE in January? Are there any colleges that would take me in? Also what colleges would take me in for GCSE Maths re-sit?

You might have to sit Science GCSE as a private candidate.
Reply 3
Most sixth forms will be able to enter you into them, I sat double science GCSE in year 13 because I needed a better grade for my uni course. You will probably have to revise on your own for them but it should be an issue just ask administration :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Jussicah
Most sixth forms will be able to enter you into them, I sat double science GCSE in year 13 because I needed a better grade for my uni course. You will probably have to revise on your own for them but it should be an issue just ask administration :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for replying back. Would I need to go to the college/sixth form to ask?
Reply 5
Original post by Ozkes
Thank you for replying back. Would I need to go to the college/sixth form to ask?

Email or phone calls would probably be okay, I went to the sixth form my secondary school was part of so I knew everyone so it wasn't hard, I just had to pay for the resits. Hypothetically it shouldn't be a problem at all but it depends how arsey the colleges are tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Do you want to go to lessons or just re-sit the exams?
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
Do you want to go to lessons or just re-sit the exams?

Just re-sit but I am planning to get one to one tuition once a week.
Reply 8
Original post by Jussicah
Email or phone calls would probably be okay, I went to the sixth form my secondary school was part of so I knew everyone so it wasn't hard, I just had to pay for the resits. Hypothetically it shouldn't be a problem at all but it depends how arsey the colleges are tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about coursework? When I did my GCSE in secondary I remember I had to do experiments and coursework. Do I go to the school and do the experiments there?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
When did you take GCSE Additional Science (and with which exam board)? Assuming you've taken the just-about-to expire specification you can carry forward the controlled assessment and just re-sit the exams.
When did you take GCSE Maths? This Summer was the last chance to re-sit the old A*-G specifications. The next opportunity to take Maths in November will only be with the new 9-1 specifications which are substantially different with quite a lot of new content to learn.

You can take them at any exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate.
Reply 10
Original post by Compost
When did you take GCSE Additional Science (and with which exam board)? Assuming you've taken the just-about-to expire specification you can carry forward the controlled assessment and just re-sit the exams.
When did you take GCSE Maths? This Summer was the last chance to re-sit the old A*-G specifications. The next opportunity to take Maths in November will only be with the new 9-1 specifications which are substantially different with quite a lot of new content to learn.

You can take them at any exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate.

I took both Science and Maths in 2016. The exam board for maths was AQA and the exam board for Science was OCR. Can I "forward" my coursework for science to AQA because I've done some research and it seems like OCR doesn't do re-sits unless you've got a reason to why you failed e.g. had a terminal illness.
Original post by Ozkes
I took both Science and Maths in 2016. The exam board for maths was AQA and the exam board for Science was OCR. Can I "forward" my coursework for science to AQA because I've done some research and it seems like OCR doesn't do re-sits unless you've got a reason to why you failed e.g. had a terminal illness.

OCR, like every other exam board, let's anyone re-sit who wants to, it is exam centres who impose conditions on their own students. You can carry forward controlled assessment and just re-sit the exams. I've never dealt with OCR GCSE Sciences but a quick look at their website suggests the last chance to re-sit these exams will be this November. If you don't take it then you would have to do the new 9-1 GCSE Sciences (which don't have any coursework) which have fairly different content.

AQA 9-1 Maths you can take in November or the Summer.
Reply 12
Original post by Compost
OCR, like every other exam board, let's anyone re-sit who wants to, it is exam centres who impose conditions on their own students. You can carry forward controlled assessment and just re-sit the exams. I've never dealt with OCR GCSE Sciences but a quick look at their website suggests the last chance to re-sit these exams will be this November. If you don't take it then you would have to do the new 9-1 GCSE Sciences (which don't have any coursework) which have fairly different content.

AQA 9-1 Maths you can take in November or the Summer.

Thank you so much for taking your time and explaining that. Even though I did my GCSE's in 2016, can I still forward my coursework?
Original post by Ozkes
Thank you so much for taking your time and explaining that. Even though I did my GCSE's in 2016, can I still forward my coursework?

Yes, you can carry it forward for the life of the specification (2012-2017).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending