The Student Room Group

I Hate OCR, sooooo much.

Look so yesterday I had my M1 exam with OCR. I did so bad that I am 100% that I got a U grade and it seems like not one gives a ****. I went to talk to my one of my teachers after the exam, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said 'oh well'.

I go to a *****y state school (sixth-form) and the teachers don't even care.

Anyways I am in year 12 taking Further Maths with OCR. I am a taking the whole A-level course in one year, i.e, C1-C4, S1 and M1. I really want to get an A this year but unfortunately after that OCR M1 exam yesterday, I definitely wont, and also as it is OCR C3 and C4 could be ugly. So I am ****ed.

This is my predictions of the UMS grade I think I got.

C1: 80+ UMS
C2: 87 UMS
S1: 56 UMS
M1: Below 30 UMS

I was thinking of changing my exam board to Edexcel for Maths and Further Maths, thus leaving the sixth-from and self studying. Does anyone recommend Edexcel for Maths and FM.

Also have anyone done FM A-level whilst sitting the whole of their A-level maths, making this 12 modules in one year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phat-chewbacca
Look so yesterday I had my M1 exam with OCR. I did so bad that I am 100% that I got a U grade and it seems like not one gives a ****. I went to talk to my one of my teachers after the exam, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said 'oh well'.

Anyways I am in year 12 taking Further Maths with OCR. I am a taking the whole A-level course in one year, i.e, C1-C4, S1 and M1. I really want to get an A this year but unfortunately after that OCR M1 exam yesterday, I definitely wont, and also as it is OCR C3 and C4 could be ugly. So I am ****ed.

I was thinking of changing my exam board to Edexcel for Maths and Further Maths, thus leaving the sixth-from and self studying. Does anyone recommend Edexcel for Maths and FM.

Also have anyone done FM A-level whilst sitting the whole of their A-level maths, making this 12 modules in one year?

Not sure about Edexcel, but my friends, who do a different exam board to me, say that AQA is the easiest one?

EDIT: A friend is doing 10 maths modules this year alongside 2 other A-levels, so 12 seems doable, as long as you can organise it well
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Stanspam
Not sure about Edexcel, but my friends, who do a different exam board to me, say that AQA is the easiest one?

AQA Maths A-Level was certainly unpredictable for me.

Edit: Just to clarify what I mean. The first C3 exam I took had questions I didn't see before in past papers, I retook the next one which was way easier.

C4, on the other hand, was an entire cluster****. AQA took Solomon Paper questions, changed the numbers and put them in this exam.

I managed to do well, as I practised these papers like crazy. My classmates struggled a lot and just made it.

Don't think AQA is easy. They can put questions which can bite you in the ass, so you better prepare by doing past papers and Solomon Papers just in case they do.
(edited 6 years ago)

EDIT: A friend is doing 10 maths modules this year alongside 2 other A-levels, so 12 seems doable, as long as you can organise it well

Ok this makes me feel so much better. So what exam-board should I choose. I would like to get some exams done in 2017, but unfortunately resits have been taken out from all exam boards. Is there a way around this?
Original post by SecretDuck

Edit: Just to clarify what I mean. The first C3 exam I took had questions I didn't see before in past papers, I retook the next one which was way easier.

C4, on the other hand, was an entire cluster****. AQA took Solomon Paper questions, changed the numbers and put them in this exam.

I managed to do well, as I practised these papers like crazy. My classmates struggled a lot and just made it.

Don't think AQA is easy. They can put questions which can bite you in the ass, so you better prepare by doing past papers and Solomon Papers just in case they do.

Ok thanks a lot. What do you mean by solomon papers? Which exam board is it?
Ok thanks a lot. What do you mean by solomon papers? Which exam board is it?

They are based on the Edexcel syllabus (at least, back then, not sure now). You can find them in a simple Google search.

They consist of questions that don't hold your hand and require out of the box thinking to solve them. Thankfully, you do have a mark scheme handy which explains every step. If you can get a C in those papers, an A* in the real exam is very likely.
They are based on the Edexcel syllabus (at least, back then, not sure now). You can find them in a simple Google search.

They consist of questions that don't hold your hand and require out of the box thinking to solve them. Thankfully, you do have a mark scheme handy which explains every step. If you can get a C in those papers, an A* in the real exam is very likely.

Are they that hard?
Ok this makes me feel so much better. So what exam-board should I choose. I would like to get some exams done in 2017, but unfortunately resits have been taken out from all exam boards. Is there a way around this?

Unfortunately resitting is no longer an option, if you're taking a standard A-level, this year. Next possible time to retake these exams will be this time 2018. However, this is unless you choose to complete an international A-level qualification, offered by some exam boards, like CIE. International means that they're not bound by same restrictions that UK A-levels are e.g. they do have October/November sessions. The advantage to CIE, though is that it's syllabus is very similar to OCR, so you'll have to do very little extra learning, and I think it's less unpredictable, but if you've struggled with OCR, CIE might still be just as hard.

I think changing exam boards is a good idea if you really don't feel confident with OCR, because their exams are getting harder every passing year lately, but this means you'll have to do extra learning by yourself, and it might be difficult to do this without the assistance of a teacher. As for the exam board, I myself have never took papers in any others, but perhaps Edexcel and AQA are good options? I think researching the past papers and looking at the syllabus content yourself for these exam boards will give you a better indication than what anyone suggests.
Are they that hard?

The papers start off only slightly harder than a past paper and slowly but steadily increase in difficulty. You'll be fine. :smile:
Unfortunately resitting is no longer an option, if you're taking a standard A-level, this year. Next possible time to retake these exams will be this time 2018. However, this is unless you choose to complete an international A-level qualification, offered by some exam boards, like CIE. International means that they're not bound by same restrictions that UK A-levels are e.g. they do have October/November sessions. The advantage to CIE, though is that it's syllabus is very similar to OCR, so you'll have to do very little extra learning, and I think it's less unpredictable, but if you've struggled with OCR, CIE might still be just as hard.

I think changing exam boards is a good idea if you really don't feel confident with OCR, because their exams are getting harder every passing year lately, but this means you'll have to do extra learning by yourself, and it might be difficult to do this without the assistance of a teacher. As for the exam board, I myself have never took papers in any others, but perhaps Edexcel and AQA are good options? I think researching the past papers and looking at the syllabus content yourself for these exam boards will give you a better indication than what anyone suggests.

Exactly, but I am going to be getting private tuition too. Thanks for this information, and I have just found out about Edexcel International A-Level Maths. But on their website it states that it is not available for students in the UK. Does this mean I am not allowed to take the qualification? Should I send you a link to the website?
Exactly, but I am going to be getting private tuition too. Thanks for this information, and I have just found out about Edexcel International A-Level Maths. But on their website it states that it is not available for students in the UK. Does this mean I am not allowed to take the qualification? Should I send you a link to the website?

A link would be helpful, but I have to warn you I really don't know much about Edexcel International A level qualifications. The only reason I know a bit about CIE is because one of my subjects uses that exam board
A link would be helpful, but I have to warn you I really don't know much about Edexcel International A level qualifications. The only reason I know a bit about CIE is because one of my subjects uses that exam board

Yh I have heard about CIE too. But I am not taking it because it is basically a sibling of OCR. Lol.

Could you try and get someone in here who knows about the Edexcel/IAL Maths spec. Or how can I do that?

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/mathematics/about.html

Are you serious about the aqa c4? are you talking about the one we had this week? Cos I reckon that was probs the hardest c4 yet

What year, do you know?
I waiting for the Hitler video.
Reply 15
[...] Edexcel International A-Level Maths [...] But on their website it states that it is not available for students in the UK. Does this mean I am not allowed to take the qualification?

Yes, it's only available to international students outside of the UK... the wording is sufficiently clear.

Personally, I think you should stop trying to pass off you doing badly onto your teachers/school/exam board/whatever else you're trying. Exam boards don't differ wildly in difficulty and they are all norm referenced anyway, so if you can't get an A with OCR, it's highly unlikely you'll be able to with any other exam board.
(edited 6 years ago)
ocr bio and ocr maths is destroying me also :colonhash:
Yh I have heard about CIE too. But I am not taking it because it is basically a sibling of OCR. Lol.

Could you try and get someone in here who knows about the Edexcel/IAL Maths spec. Or how can I do that?

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/mathematics/about.html

Sorry, I don't know anyone who does Edexcel maths, and looks like edexcel IAL isn't an option, so your next retake option is in 2018. If I were you, I would try not to give up on OCR yet. You must have already spent so much time and effort to get to the stage you're at. It would be more worth your while trying to improve and learn what you don't know, instead of trying to learn a whole new syllabus, which can end up with you achieving the same grade, because you had to start from scratch.

Don't worry about the exam. I go to a fairly good school (in terms of A-level results) and I've always found M1 hard. Even my friends who do physics (so M1 is easier for them) found it hard too. Almost everyone I saw and spoke to at my school found it hard so I think grade boundaries will be very low. Also, you're in Yr12 so you could always retake it next year when the paper may be easier. Also, to get an A with your AS maths you only need to average 80 UMS. Personally I think you'll find it really hard to do 12 modules of maths in 1 year plus learning the syllabus for your other subjects. Even if u felt u did badly, I'm sure u didn't do as bad as u say bcoz everyone found it hard. Don't worry.
Original post by Zacken
Yes, it's only available to international students outside of the UK... the wording is sufficiently clear.

Personally, I think you should stop trying to pass off you doing badly onto your teachers/school/exam board/whatever else you're trying. Exam boards don't differ wildly in difficulty and they are all norm referenced anyway, so if you can't get an A with OCR, it's highly unlikely you'll be able to with any other exam board.

Totally disagree with you on that, because I and only I know what I went through with my school. Not a helpful school and that is final. I am trying my best to get an A* this year. I tried for 100UMS for C1 and C2 and this didn't even happen.

Look the thing is I really wanted to get an A* for A-level Maths in 2017 not 2018. That is why I am going to extreme lengths to attain this A* this year, by opting in for the International Edexcel A-level Maths.

Does anyone know if I can sit the Edexcel IAL in another country?

Quick Reply

Latest