The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level History - Paper 3 - British Experience of Warfare, 1790-1918

Hey guys, hadn't seen a thread for this exam yet so thought I'd make one. How is everyone feeling for this exam? I'm going to upload some of my resources later.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Should be an absolute shitfest. My own teachers said they didn't like the course and myself and everyone in my class certainly didn't.
Reply 2
Original post by JamesM8
Should be an absolute shitfest. My own teachers said they didn't like the course and myself and everyone in my class certainly didn't.

Exactly the same here. Such a dry, boring course and my teacher had never taught it before so was pretty crap. Glad I did okay in the coursework because I'm sure as hell going to need my grade dragging up after this.
Also, how annoying that we have to learn 5 units on war and we're only going to get tested on 1 of those.
Reply 3
Original post by skuka
Exactly the same here. Such a dry, boring course and my teacher had never taught it before so was pretty crap. Glad I did okay in the coursework because I'm sure as hell going to need my grade dragging up after this.
Also, how annoying that we have to learn 5 units on war and we're only going to get tested on 1 of those.

Exactly, I'm currently riding on a A/B (I think) and this last 30% is gonna drag it down. And yeah it's stupid, I don't have a chance at a single depth question I think someone actually fell asleep during some of the Crimean war lessons.
Reply 4
Original post by JamesM8
Exactly, I'm currently riding on a A/B (I think) and this last 30% is gonna drag it down. And yeah it's stupid, I don't have a chance at a single depth question I think someone actually fell asleep during some of the Crimean war lessons.

It's the most boring unit they possibly could have picked. At least with other units they link to a wider picture like ideology... whereas this is so technical and logistical. You don't even actually learn about the wars properly, just the rate at which the guns they used fired how many bullets. Some parts of it are literally like practical engineering, I just detest this course so much and can't wait until its done.
Reply 5
Do we have any predictions for the exam?
Reply 6
Original post by GH124236
Do we have any predictions for the exam?

No way of making predictions with no previous content to go on, another reason this exam and new spec in general is ****. We're the guinea pigs. All I can tell you is we get one depth essay question on a specific topic, one breadth on a period as a whole and one source question to apply knowledge.
Reply 7
Yeah, in regard to predictions, all we know is:

Section A: Source on aspect of depth
Section B: Choice of two essay on aspect of depth
Section C: Breadth question
Reply 8
Yeah but I mean it's unlikely they'll be too harsh because as you say, we are the first to do this exam so I'm thinking for the depth essay (not source) it'll be on something quite flexible like the peninsula wars, boer war because that's quite simple or something about trench warfare maybe? For the breadth I'm thinking it'll be something about which reforms made most change to the military?? Have you guys done any questions in class?
Reply 9
Yeah but I mean it's unlikely they'll be too harsh because as you say, we are the first to do this exam so I'm thinking for the depth essay (not source) it'll be on something quite flexible like the peninsula wars, boer war because that's quite simple or something about trench warfare maybe? For the breadth I'm thinking it'll be something about which reforms made most change to the military?? Have you guys done any questions in class?

My ideal questions would be either impact of Wellington on Peninsular wars, and an easy reform such as Cardwell's army. I hope they're somewhat kind to us - and no my class haven't done any. So if anyone could upload any exemplar, I'd be so grateful. I'm in the process of consolidating my notes and I'll upload when I'm done.
Anyone got any half decent advice/notes for war in the air // role of the people (eg. camp followers etc.) that I could take a look at. I've had to teach myself history this year as my school doesn't do edexcel (long story) - would really appreciate it bc at the moment i'm actually f**ked
Does anyone have the new spec questions that were released? I had it for Germany and Italy papers but our teacher has only given us the depth questions from the new paper they've released so does anyone have the breadth ones or the source?
Original post by skuka
Yeah, in regard to predictions, all we know is:

Section A: Source on aspect of depth
Section B: Choice of two essay on aspect of depth
Section C: Breadth question

I'm pretty sure it is a choice of two breadth questions as well. It better be because I have only revised changes in organising the military.
(edited 6 years ago)
Looking at the two specimen papers that have been released the Crimean war does not feature at all so I think there is a high chance that it will come up either as a source or depth question. Boer war came up in both papers as the depth question so it's unlikely it will come up as that again. I'm revising the french wars, crimean war and boer war as well as the breadth section changes in organising the military in depth. I'm then going to have a brief look through ww1 + the air war and hope that they don't come up lol
Reply 14
Original post by Gnatt27
I'm pretty sure it is a choice of two breadth questions as well. It better be because I have only revised changes in organising the military.

Yeah that is true. I'm considering not revising air wars but there's a risk of it being the source, so I'll lightly skim over it. I think you're correct in that it'll probably be about the Crimean war - it's my favourite so I'd rather it be an essay than a source tbh because I know the most about it.
Original post by skuka
Yeah that is true. I'm considering not revising air wars but there's a risk of it being the source, so I'll lightly skim over it. I think you're correct in that it'll probably be about the Crimean war - it's my favourite so I'd rather it be an essay than a source tbh because I know the most about it.

I mean if I had time I would revise it but I have Boer war, the economy part of French wars (so boring) recruitment, and then if I have time ww1 and war in the air to revise all today. And yeah a Crimean war depth question would be gold dust.
Went downhill so bad after the source question... what did everyone do??

extremely bad. I´m getting a D in this exam which will push down my grade...
Reply 18

Same here, source was alright but the rest was awful. Going to be lucky to get a B in this paper.
Source question and depth went well but I spent too long on them. Had 30 minutes for the breadth question. Just wondering what the maximum mark out of 20 I could get for an essay that contains the following: Intro + criteria, 1 paragraph with 2/3 points , 2nd paragraph 1/3 points 3rd paragraph 2/3 points , conclusion with criteria. I feel like I had a good argument structure criteria etc but I didn't have enough points/detail. What would I be looking at out of 20?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending