The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Valyrian
I've been absent from TSR and Andrew is displeased.

Pls didn't even notice you were gone
Original post by Michiyo
That would make you... intermediate, then? And how do you study? :smile:

Congratulations for getting that internship! :clap2: What will you do during your internship? :h: As in, in what domain is it?

The Romanian Baccalaureate is just what every Romanian student does :laugh: I do admit it is hard (harder than A-levels for sure), though, since in order to get what is deemed as a 'good grade', one must get like 90% of the marks. My offer from Exeter asks for 9 in the Baccalaureate, which is literally 90% of the marks in everything.

You flatter me :blushing: You are probably smarter than me since I could never learn Chinese :rofl:

Yeah I'd say I'm at an intermediate level.

Aha thanks!! It's with a business in Dalian (North East China) which the title is "business incubator" so I get to learn the rules and regulations of international trade between China and other countries, tariffs and generally learning how the Chinese government operates because I really want to work in the Chinese government when I'm older. So I'll be doing my language classes from 9am-12pm and then have lunch and then do my internship for 5-6 hours everyday for a month. It's gonna be busy but it'll be totally worth it and will look lovely on my CV in the long term.

Hahaha I can imagine. I always see how international education systems are slightly tougher than the UK education system, so whenever international students come here, they're so smart and it's difficult for me to catch up :lol:

Chinese is difficult, but I'm in the process of re-polishing my German language as that's at an advanced level. I think I want to do another degree after my Mandarin and IR course and do something like German and Italian since I am a fond polyglot.
Original post by AndrewSCO
Pls didn't even notice you were gone

That's mean :frown: my achy breaky heart...
That's mean :frown: my achy breaky heart...

you broke my heart when you left and took me off your wall :cry:

How was Italy?
you broke my heart when you left and took me off your wall :cry:

How was Italy?

Sorry darling.

Italy was just spiffing. Got a nice tan :h:
Sorry darling.

Italy was just spiffing. Got a nice tan :h:

and then you'll just leave again in a day or two smh

Sounds like funnnnn, where were you?
Yeah I'd say I'm at an intermediate level.

Aha thanks!! It's with a business in Dalian (North East China) which the title is "business incubator" so I get to learn the rules and regulations of international trade between China and other countries, tariffs and generally learning how the Chinese government operates because I really want to work in the Chinese government when I'm older. So I'll be doing my language classes from 9am-12pm and then have lunch and then do my internship for 5-6 hours everyday for a month. It's gonna be busy but it'll be totally worth it and will look lovely on my CV in the long term.

Hahaha I can imagine. I always see how international education systems are slightly tougher than the UK education system, so whenever international students come here, they're so smart and it's difficult for me to catch up :lol:

Chinese is difficult, but I'm in the process of re-polishing my German language as that's at an advanced level. I think I want to do another degree after my Mandarin and IR course and do something like German and Italian since I am a fond polyglot.

Sounds awesome! :teeth:

It is not that they are smarter, it is just that the educational system they come from is more difficult.

How many languages do you speak and which ones?

I want to learn a lot of languages too! :five: I only know two (Romanian and English) at the moment, though... :ashamed: Hoping to become fluent in at least two more languages before summer 2024. :biggrin:
and then you'll just leave again in a day or two smh

Sounds like funnnnn, where were you?

How did you know? :tongue:

I was in Sardinia.
So you get your organic solid
You just use enough hot solvent as to completely dissolve it
Cool it.
Crystals will form upon cooling
Then filter it under reduced pressure :ahee:
:king1:

sprinkle a bit of ice cold solvent to finish it off and add a bit of drying agent (CaCl2 or MgSO4 etc.)
:crown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Michiyo
Sounds awesome! :teeth:

It is not that they are smarter, it is just that the educational system they come from is more difficult.

How many languages do you speak and which ones?

I want to learn a lot of languages too! :five: I only know two (Romanian and English) at the moment, though... :ashamed: Hoping to become fluent in at least two more languages before summer 2024. :biggrin:

I can only speak English fluently, German is advanced (also have an A level in it), I have a NVQ Level 2 French award (but I don't really like French), and obviously I'm studying Mandarin as part of my degree (Intermediate, as mentioned beforehand.

I want to become fluent in German, and I'd like to be well versed in either Italian or Spanish, or maybe even Swedish. Perhaps Japanese since characters are sometimes used from Chinese strokes, but I'm not sure if I want to study anymore Asian languages due to its difficulty. Whereas, I find european languages, understandably.

Woo polyglots!
How did you know? :tongue:

I was in Sardinia.

Cause it's classic Valyrian
Cause it's classic Valyrian

I'll try to break out the classic Valyrian trend this time
I can only speak English fluently, German is advanced (also have an A level in it), I have a NVQ Level 2 French award (but I don't really like French), and obviously I'm studying Mandarin as part of my degree (Intermediate, as mentioned beforehand.

I want to become fluent in German, and I'd like to be well versed in either Italian or Spanish, or maybe even Swedish. Perhaps Japanese since characters are sometimes used from Chinese strokes, but I'm not sure if I want to study anymore Asian languages due to its difficulty. Whereas, I find european languages, understandably.

Woo polyglots!

I am only fluent in Romanian and English, as I said, even though I studied French and Latin in school. I hated French with a passion, so I feel you :five: Sooo I am just going to aim to become fluent in Japanese and Russian :laugh:

I actually made a summer schedule with five different languages on it! :biggrin: I am not sure if I will keep it the way it is now, change the languages or choose to focus on Japanese and Russian, but I still have until the end of my exams to decide :rolleyes:

I am only an aspiring polyglot with extremely little knowledge of languages outside of the two languages I am fluent in. But yes, WOOO LANGUAGES!!!! :woo:
Original post by Michiyo
I am only fluent in Romanian and English, as I said, even though I studied French and Latin in school. I hated French with a passion, so I feel you :five: Sooo I am just going to aim to become fluent in Japanese and Russian :laugh:

I actually made a summer schedule with five different languages on it! :biggrin: I am not sure if I will keep it the way it is now, change the languages or choose to focus on Japanese and Russian, but I still have until the end of my exams to decide :rolleyes:

I am only an aspiring polyglot with extremely little knowledge of languages outside of the two languages I am fluent in. But yes, WOOO LANGUAGES!!!! :woo:

I think the study of languages is so beautiful. It's nice to see native speakers be shocked and happy when you speak their own language. That keeps me going haha.

I ****ing love Russian. I'd learn it but it seems pretty impossible but I'd love to give it a go.

I'm trying as hard as I can to keep Mandarin fresh in my mind so I'm not struggling in September to remember basic things :lol:
I think the study of languages is so beautiful. It's nice to see native speakers be shocked and happy when you speak their own language. That keeps me going haha.

I ****ing love Russian. I'd learn it but it seems pretty impossible but I'd love to give it a go.

I'm trying as hard as I can to keep Mandarin fresh in my mind so I'm not struggling in September to remember basic things :lol:

Agreed :yep: I never had the chance to see that since I am not passable in anything but Romanian and English :sad:

Russian is not that bad. I have already learnt the alphabet (both print letters and handwritten letters) and some basic things. Then again, Romanian does share a few elements with Russian, which is probably why I found it not to be impossible :laugh:

That is a good idea :biggrin:
Original post by Michiyo
Agreed :yep: I never had the chance to see that since I am not passable in anything but Romanian and English :sad:

Russian is not that bad. I have already learnt the alphabet (both print letters and handwritten letters) and some basic things. Then again, Romanian does share a few elements with Russian, which is probably why I found it not to be impossible :laugh:

That is a good idea :biggrin:

I have an obsession with Vladimir Putin (I have posters of him winking, him being whipped by Harley Quinn, multiple t shirts, Russian dolls of Russian leaders, replica medals from the USSR and biographies about him and numerous books about the USSR) so learning Russian is on my checklist. I do know some words from playing CSGO online with Russians but it's only a swear (Cyka Bylat) haha :lol:
I have an obsession with Vladimir Putin (I have posters of him winking, him being whipped by Harley Quinn, multiple t shirts, Russian dolls of Russian leaders, replica medals from the USSR and biographies about him and numerous books about the USSR) so learning Russian is on my checklist. I do know some words from playing CSGO online with Russians but it's only a swear (Cyka Bylat) haha :lol:

Why are you obsessed with him? :toofunny:
Original post by Michiyo
Why are you obsessed with him? :toofunny:

I'm not sure, just one of those things I think...ever since I studied Russia from 1924 to 1991 I just became very interested in Russia/Slavic history...
I'm not sure, just one of those things I think...ever since I studied Russia from 1924 to 1991 I just became very interested in Russia/Slavic history...

Are you a communist, though? :teehee:

Latest