The Student Room Group

What would you think of a guy dressed like this?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b9/07/56/b907564595d3eb8100cb8eba1e91ed17.jpg

https://www.thefashionisto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Harry-Styles-Chelsea-Suede-Boots.jpg

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Harry+Styles+Harry+Styles+Vists+Jimmy+Kimmel+2LOrQUre2PCl.jpg

Those are three photos, of Harry Styles, I like how he dresses, but he's a celebrity, I mean could a regular guy dress like this?

I'm pretty similar proportioned to him, maybe my thighs are a little wider, my shoulders too and I'm slightly shorter.

What would you think of this?
I don't dress like this now but that's the idea I'm going after.
He still looks manly but he doesn't dress it.

Would you find it attractive/weird?
What would you think and what about it makes you feel that way?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b9/07/56/b907564595d3eb8100cb8eba1e91ed17.jpg

https://www.thefashionisto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Harry-Styles-Chelsea-Suede-Boots.jpg

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Harry+Styles+Harry+Styles+Vists+Jimmy+Kimmel+2LOrQUre2PCl.jpg

Those are three photos, of Harry Styles, I like how he dresses, but he's a celebrity, I mean could a regular guy dress like this?

I'm pretty similar proportioned to him, maybe my thighs are a little wider, my shoulders too and I'm slightly shorter.

Pathetic. Why would you dress like someone else when you're surely capable of coming up with your own style?
Reply 2
Original post by Tootles
Pathetic. Why would you dress like someone else when you're surely capable of coming up with your own style?

I wouldn't be straight up copying his style.

To be honest he copied the style from Saint Laurent and Hedi Slimane, it's a popular style, those boots sell out every year.

My own style would be Saint Laurent boots (because the style is specific to them, you can't really get the same look from a cheaper pair of boots), a pair of skinny jeans, a thick baggy sweater, fitted hoodie, black t shirt rolled up sleeves, scooped neck, maybe a denim shearling jacket.

Your style is developed through other peoples styles, you don't magically have your own style, you couldn't you mix pieces of other peoples styles and develop your own.

I think the clothing is verging on the edge of okay, but if you want the hairstyle too then it's a deffo no.
Reply 4
Original post by Tootles

Wouldn't call it pathetic, everyone gets inspired by other people's clothing, there's a fashion industry for a reason....

I like, obviously more of a winter style but I'd give it a thumbs up - anyone can rock whatever they like if they have the confidence.... :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ClearSky
I think the clothing is verging on the edge of okay, but if you want the hairstyle too then it's a deffo no.

No I have curly/wavy hair, I'd just leave it long on top and short on the sides, the way it always is.

I should add I don't want to just copy his style down to a tee. I just want that general look.
he does not even lift
No I have curly/wavy hair, I'd just leave it long on top and short on the sides, the way it always is.

I should add I don't want to just copy his style down to a tee. I just want that general look.

Then go for it ~ it's not a bad style so why not and if you're adapting it to make it unique to you then that sounds cool :cute:
Reply 8
I would instantly register how acutely self-conscious and ill-at-ease he appears, as might anyone if their entire wardrobe were the subject of a nationwide police search.
Reply 9
Original post by Profesh
I would instantly register how acutely self-conscious and ill-at-ease he appears, as might anyone if their entire wardrobe were the subject of a nationwide police search.

I know you're trying to sound smart.
I know you're trying to sound smart.

Stop projecting your insecurities and I'll promise not to reflect them. Deal?
Original post by Profesh

You're not reflecting anything you're assuming from photos that Harry Styles is anxious because his wardrobe is under scrutiny? Or maybe that I am, which is still wrong because I don't dress like that.

I'm voicing my concern and looking for some positive feedback not some conceited comment loaded with metaphors.
Original post by Profesh

You're not reflecting anything you're assuming from photos that Harry Styles is anxious because his wardrobe is under scrutiny? Or maybe that I am, which is still wrong because I don't dress like that, and if I were to I would want to have confidence in my decision before I try it out, hence the question.

I'm voicing my concern and looking for some positive feedback not some conceited comment loaded with metaphors. I get where you're coming from that I have to have confidence regardless what I wear. But it doesn't necessarily answer the question.
You're not reflecting anything you're assuming from photos that Harry Styles is anxious because his wardrobe is under scrutiny? Or maybe that I am, which is still wrong because I don't dress like that.

I'm voicing my concern and looking for some positive feedback not some conceited comment loaded with metaphors.

It was a joke: if I saw someone co-opting someone else's style, they'd probably look less than comfortable in their own skin; if the "someone else" in question were as unmistakable as Harry Styles, then I might well suppose it were because they'd literally stolen his wardrobe.

Anyhow, in answer to your question: my first-impression would be of someone dramatically over-compensating for some underlying inadequacy or recent personal setback. Dipping a toe in the water is fine, but radically overhauling one's entire dress-sense—especially if one has no dress-sense to begin with—tends not to signal 'newfound self-confidence' so much as 'crisis of'.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
It was a joke: if I saw someone co-opting someone else's style, they'd probably look less than comfortable in their own skin; if the "someone else" in question were as unmistakable as Harry Styles, then I might well suppose it were because they'd literally stolen his wardrobe.

Anyhow, in answer to your question: my first-impression would be of someone dramatically over-compensating for some underlying inadequacy or recent personal setback. Dipping a toe in the water is fine, but radically overhauling one's entire dress-sense—especially if one has no dress-sense to begin with—tends not to signal 'newfound self-confidence' so much as 'crisis of'.

I wouldn't just wear everything he wears exactly how he wears it. It wasn't if I dressed as Harry Styles, it was if I dressed like Harry Styles. He takes his inspiration from Saint Laurent Paris and Gucci, he didn't invent the look, none of the clothes are clothes made for him. I still wouldn't look exactly like him because I am not exactly like him.

It wouldn't even necessarily be a radical overhaul, I wear jeans, I wear them skinny, I always wear hoodies and sweatshirts, if I wear a shirt on a night out I'd simply change it to somethings bit more flowy, maybe a larger pattern.

The main change would be the boots, footwear can completely change an outfit, if he wore converse with black skinny jeans and a black nike sweatshirt it would look very different to how it actually looks.
https://www.thefashionisto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Harry-Styles-NIKE-Sweatshirt.jpg

I'm not talking about wearing a costume, I'm talking about dress how I feel like I want to rather than what fits in.
Namely wearing those style of boots instead of regular runners.
Original post by inama97
Wouldn't call it pathetic, everyone gets inspired by other people's clothing, there's a fashion industry for a reason....

I like, obviously more of a winter style but I'd give it a thumbs up - anyone can rock whatever they like if they have the confidence.... :smile:
Yes, that people are pathetic and can't come up with their own styles.
Original post by Tootles
Yes, that people are pathetic and can't come up with their own styles.

You need to understand that the whole fashion industry is recycled, the music industry, in fact any creative industry is.

The Rolling Stones made a fortune and a legacy playing typical black blues and rock music to a larger audience using that devil may care persona.

What your wearing right now has trickled down from a larger fashion house who has used different aspects of other designs to influence their style.
Even if you're naked, you are simply part of your mother and part of your father, nothing is truely your own take on anything, it's aways parts of something else.
Big fashion houses are the most innovative, high street stores just recycle the same old crap that sells.
You need to understand that the whole fashion industry is recycled, the music industry, in fact any creative industry is.

The Rolling Stones made a fortune and a legacy playing typical black blues and rock music to a larger audience using that devil may care persona.

What your wearing right now has trickled down from a larger fashion house who has used different aspects of other designs to influence their style.
Even if you're naked, you are simply part of your mother and part of your father, nothing is truely your own take on anything, it's aways parts of something else.
Big fashion houses are the most innovative, high street stores just recycle the same old crap that sells.
Stopped reading here. I don't need someone who hasn't even got the balls to post as who they are telling me anything.
Original post by Tootles
Stopped reading here. I don't need someone who hasn't even got the balls to post as who they are telling me anything.

I post a lot of different things on different forums I just wanted to get an unbiased opinion,

You continue on being obtuse so.

Ooh, okay then, go for it! Just be yourself, and it's cool with me! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending