The Student Room Group

If you leave tear marks in your papers do they give more marks?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reality Check
Where do you get all these amazing avatars from!! I love that new one.

I think I got this one from Giphy! I stockpile them. :tongue:
Reply 21
3 marks / tear
Original post by Rarest
No, they will mark you down. It happened to a friend of mine, she got 46/60 on her physics last year, but she cried on it and they reduced it to 23/60.

Last year it was 50% mark reduction, I hear that this year it is 75% or possibly disqualification.

can confirm

my father is an examiner - i think he marked your friend's paper
Reply 23
I can only assume you're joking...

You got me, just needed a laugh to ease the tension thinking about results
Original post by Popsiclez
You got me, just needed a laugh to ease the tension thinking about results

:biggrin: - horrible waiting, isn't it? And they string it out till bloody August!
We could dream, but the reality of the matter is - Reality is harsh.

If you leave a trail of your tears on your exam papers will the examiner give you sympathy marks?
Reply 26
:biggrin: - horrible waiting, isn't it? And they string it out till bloody August!

But as an examiner have you ever been tempted to give someoneone higher or lower than what they deserve? Also how do they know that the examiner isn't being biased? Do you think Grade Boundaries will be low or high this year? Also what happens if you write on them pages it tells you not to write on?

I just hate not knowing!
But as an examiner have you ever been tempted to give someoneone higher or lower than what they deserve? Also how do they know that the examiner isn't being biased? Do you think Grade Boundaries will be low or high this year? Also what happens if you write on them pages it tells you not to write on?

I just hate not knowing!

oooh, ok - and breathe...:smile:

I have never been remotely tempted to under or over mark due to anything. The exams are far too important to the candidates to dick about with them like this.

Examiners aren't 'biased'. Period. Why would they be?

Grade boundaries will be in keeping with previous years, but as I constantly bang on about, until the cohort is marked, no-one knows.

If you write on pages you shouldn't, the Lead Examiner comes round your house and gives you a... not really. It means that the paper has to be manually marked, but if you persistently write in areas which it says 'do not write here' you risk work being mis-scanned or not scanned and losing marks. There's a reason why it says 'do not write anything here'!
oooh, ok - and breathe...:smile:

I have never been remotely tempted to under or over mark due to anything. The exams are far too important to the candidates to dick about with them like this.

Examiners aren't 'biased'. Period. Why would they be?

Grade boundaries will be in keeping with previous years, but as I constantly bang on about, until the cohort is marked, no-one knows.

If you write on pages you shouldn't, the Lead Examiner comes round your house and gives you a... not really. It means that the paper has to be manually marked, but if you persistently write in areas which it says 'do not write here' you risk work being mis-scanned or not scanned and losing marks. There's a reason why it says 'do not write anything here'!

Yo, just curious, what subject do you mark and do you ignore comments on exams or is there something that has to be done when students write messages/comments?
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Yo, just curious, what subject do you mark and do you ignore comments on exams or is there something that has to be done when students write messages/comments?

Will be doing an AMA later this week - I've already inadvertently derailed one person's thread by being asked a lot of questions, so I hope you understand that I don't want to do the same here (see this thread, which will answer your question, as it basically was the topic under discussion)
If you leave a trail of your tears on your exam papers will the examiner give you sympathy marks?

Try taping £5 to the inside page of the paper. Maybe that'll work

That's what I was thinking for my maths. 😂😂😂😂 You read my mind.
Original post by Annahelmis
Try taping £5 to the inside page of the paper. Maybe that'll work

Good one 😂😂😂👍👍👍
No, but if your pen leaks on the exam paper you will definitely have more marks.
Original post by te159311
No, but if your pen leaks on the exam paper you will definitely have more marks.

Really?
Original post by Rarest
No, they will mark you down. It happened to a friend of mine, she got 46/60 on her physics last year, but she cried on it and they reduced it to 23/60.

Last year it was 50% mark reduction, I hear that this year it is 75% or possibly disqualification.

Why is this making me laugh so much
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Really?

It was a dad joke, unfortunately. Pen leaking on paper, causing marks...

Quick Reply

Latest