geographyuk123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thought I'd make this because I cannot seem to find anyone doing the new A-level business course from WJEC...
Any predictions ?
I'm thinking Critical Path Analysis and maybe the old style 14 mark ratio question :/
How are people feeling for this exam tomorrow ?
GOOD LUCK !
DhamiR
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have this exam tomorrow also, do you know of any useful material for last minute revision?
geographyuk123
Rep:
?
(Original post by DhamiR)
I have this exam tomorrow also, do you know of any useful material for last minute revision?
Wjec have made notes for each topic, key word list and specimen paper
Don't have link(only paper copies)
jakebonnington
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i really hope there's investment appraisal and ratios as i do accounting so i'm confident in those areas but they were both in the specimen so idk if they'll both come up again

lots of calculations would be nice like decision making models and maybe a written on SWOT analysis or Porter's 5 forces?
jakebonnington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lee1999wright)
Wjec have made notes for each topic, key word list and specimen paper
Don't have link(only paper copies)
http://www.eduqas.co.uk/qualificatio...?language_id=1 here's the link to the specimen papers for all 3
geographyuk123
Rep:
?
(Original post by jakebonnington)
i really hope there's investment appraisal and ratios as i do accounting so i'm confident in those areas but they were both in the specimen so idk if they'll both come up again

lots of calculations would be nice like decision making models and maybe a written on SWOT analysis or Porter's 5 forces?
I'm the complete opposite of you lol, I hate anything with maths in so would rather the SWOT/Porters 5 forces stuff come up.
Could you help me out please, what is a good percentage or ratio for the following and what does it mean ?
ROCE
Current
Acid Test
Gearing
ARR
Discounted Cash Flow

It would help me out so much, I know how to calculate but not how to evaluate if good/bad & what that means
jakebonnington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm the complete opposite of you lol, I hate anything with maths in so would rather the SWOT/Porters 5 forces stuff come up.
Could you help me out please, what is a good percentage or ratio for the following and what does it mean ?
ROCE
Current
Acid Test
Gearing
ARR
Discounted Cash Flow

It would help me out so much, I know how to calculate but not how to evaluate if good/bad & what that means
sure

ROCE - for ROCE to be good you want it to be high as it measures profitability in relation to the size of the business and shows the return investors get on their investment.
Current - a good current ratio is 2:1 because a business needs to have enough current assets (inventory, money from customers, bank) to be able to pay their short term debts (suppliers, loan repayments). if it's less than this then the business may suffer cash flow issues.
Acid Test - this is basically the current ratio but without inventory as it is the least liquid asset in current assets so you want it to be around 1.5/1:1. this means acid test measures the ability to pay debts through liquid assets such as trade receivables
Gearing -you want gearing to be less than 50% as it measures risk so if the business has a higher gearing investors may be cautious to invest which makes it hard to raise finance
ARR - this is basically the average net return you get on the investment by comparing average profit per annum with the initial cost of the investment. you want to choose the project with the higher arr as this means you get a higher return each year on the investment
Discounted Cash Flow - this measures net present value which is the value of future money so it takes into account of things like inflation. you want to choose the project with the higher net present value as this is how much cash flow the business gets after paying back the initial cost. do not choose a project with a negative net present value.

i hope this helped good luck tomorrow
geographyuk123
Rep:
?
sure

ROCE - for ROCE to be good you want it to be high as it measures profitability in relation to the size of the business and shows the return investors get on their investment.
Current - a good current ratio is 2:1 because a business needs to have enough current assets (inventory, money from customers, bank) to be able to pay their short term debts (suppliers, loan repayments). if it's less than this then the business may suffer cash flow issues.
Acid Test - this is basically the current ratio but without inventory as it is the least liquid asset in current assets so you want it to be around 1.5/1:1. this means acid test measures the ability to pay debts through liquid assets such as trade receivables
Gearing -you want gearing to be less than 50% as it measures risk so if the business has a higher gearing investors may be cautious to invest which makes it hard to raise finance
ARR - this is basically the average net return you get on the investment by comparing average profit per annum with the initial cost of the investment. you want to choose the project with the higher arr as this means you get a higher return each year on the investment
Discounted Cash Flow - this measures net present value which is the value of future money so it takes into account of things like inflation. you want to choose the project with the higher net present value as this is how much cash flow the business gets after paying back the initial cost. do not choose a project with a negative net present value.

I appreciate this so much, thank you !
Good Luck tomorrow, let me know how you found it.

Would rep but it won't me cause I just repped your other post, will try again tomorrow.
geographyuk123
Rep:
?
sure

Is it bad if a company has a very low gearing ? eg. 10-15% for example
jakebonnington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it bad if a company has a very low gearing ? eg. 10-15% for example
yes having a low gearing is also negative as it means that if there are rising profits shareholders may get a lower return than if it was high.

how did you find component 1?
geographyuk123
Rep:
?
yes having a low gearing is also negative as it means that if there are rising profits shareholders may get a lower return than if it was high.

how did you find component 1?
Good, the last question almost tripped me up when I started talking about X and Y but luckily I then had time to fit in the other models although the way it was worded I wasn't sure exactly what the question was asking.
How about you ?
jakebonnington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good, the last question almost tripped me up when I started talking about X and Y but luckily I then had time to fit in the other models although the way it was worded I wasn't sure exactly what the question was asking.
How about you ?
yeah the wording was weird on some of the questions

i loved the pricing strategy and cash budget ones but i didn't like that consumer protection one i ********ted the whole time:lol:
jakebonnington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
how did you find it? i thought it was a pretty good paper apart from that starbucks question
geographyuk123
Rep:
?
Starbucks was good although it was certainly a weird question....
Forgot how to do the CP on CPA, got the time,EST, LFT though. Oh, and I did the capital employed question the wrong way around.
Apart from that, I'll be happy with a B.
jakebonnington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Starbucks was good although it was certainly a weird question....
Forgot how to do the CP on CPA, got the time,EST, LFT though. Oh, and I did the capital employed question the wrong way around.
Apart from that, I'll be happy with a B.
i forgot the definitions for working capital and capital employed but i think my figures were right
geographyuk123
Rep:
?

CPA and Porters 5 forces you were so lucky lol. Got any predictions for tomorrow please ?
jakebonnington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
CPA and Porters 5 forces you were so lucky lol. Got any predictions for tomorrow please ?
i really hope there's ratios or financial analysis
geographyuk123
Rep:
?
Same lol after putting in all that work trying to remember them for component 2 for them not to turn up.
Possibly EU/Single Market stuff considering current situation ?
jakebonnington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Same lol after putting in all that work trying to remember them for component 2 for them not to turn up.
Possibly EU/Single Market stuff considering current situation ?
noooo i hate the single market stuff
geographyuk123
Rep:
?
Thinking about it, they could easily fit this into the 3 page context and we have to pick out the numbers from it all (wasting time) however that would just be horrible if they made it awkward like that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads