The Student Room Group

Does anyone here actually enjoy their part time job?

Poll

Do you enjoy your part time job?

Or is everyone doing it for the money?

Scroll to see replies

Pretty sure everyone does it for the money and enjoying it is just a side benefit
Reply 2
Original post by loveleest
Or is everyone doing it for the money?

I actually enjoy mine, I'm a runner for a pretty sizeable restaurant. Its pretty great because a lot of people there are around my age. I can just chill with them and flirt with the girls while its not busy. Even when it is busy the customers are pretty chill - and being old rich people, they often tip very well.

This being said I would not do it if no money was involved
Reply 3
I'm a part time cashier at Wilkos and the job is alright (Always nice to see happy customers) but I enjoy doing it solely because it's better than being stuck at home all day, doing nothing productive.
Working at primark for the last year (part time 8 hours a week) has made me despise shopping and people. I do it ONLY for the money. No other reason.
Reply 5
Original post by Ash8991
I'm a part time cashier at Wilkos and the job is alright (Always nice to see happy customers) but I enjoy doing it solely because it's better than being stuck at home all day, doing nothing productive.

Partly the reason I am working too lol
I am yet to find one/ get one.

I hope that i actually enjoy mine rather than being there for the money.

Out of interest, where do you work and any tips for finding part time employment?
Eh, sometimes its boring but it depends who's on my shift. Most shifts its me and this other guy, probably the funniest part of my week I actually look forward to working them shifts. If I didn't work I'd get bored.
Reply 8
Original post by Blackstarr
I am yet to find one/ get one.

I hope that i actually enjoy mine rather than being there for the money.

Out of interest, where do you work and any tips for finding part time employment?

Where do you live? I can help you find you one
I really dislike my job. It's not even that the works boring or that I'm not suited to the job. But my managers suck and it's such an unpleasant atmosphere to be in. I'm only there for the money, thankfully I'm good at my job so I'll be staying

I also start my second job at Gregg's on saturday
Original post by Ash8991

Great attitude - I had a job in Asda for a year - it was the making of me. I loved the job but I knew I did not want to do it for the rest of my life.
Working for a Mobile Network provider selling phones, contracts and other things.
Absolutely HATE it.
It's such an awful job on so many levels.

Only reason I stay is the money - I don't think any industry comes close in what a student can make here.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Great attitude - I had a job in Asda for a year - it was the making of me. I loved the job but I knew I did not want to do it for the rest of my life.

What was your job position?
Reply 13
Original post by mrbr2671999
I really dislike my job. It's not even that the works boring or that I'm not suited to the job. But my managers suck and it's such an unpleasant atmosphere to be in. I'm only there for the money, thankfully I'm good at my job so I'll be staying

I also start my second job at Gregg's on saturday

Same! Managers are complete ***** at times! They are super rude. Even the staff can be rude to me at times lol...
My pat time job at uni was decent tbh. It was a very dull, unskilled job you could train a chimp to do and the upper management were shocking, but the people I worked with were great. It was full of college & university students so it was like coming in to spend a few hours with your mates. Especially when I became the floor supervisor and I could take breaks or walk around & chat to people whenever I wanted - that always broke the day up.

Would never go back and do it now even on my current salary, but it was fine at the time when I was new to the world of work.
Same! Managers are complete ***** at times! They are super rude. Even the staff can be rude to me at times lol...

It's not even that there nasty. They **** everyone off behind my back and they do it to me too. But they never say it too your face. I avoid them at all costs.
Original post by Blackstarr
What was your job position?

I worked in the cash office and on the tills. I realised that this was not going to be my life and I took monumental decisions..... and my life has never been the same. But I am always kind to till workers and shop assistants. And waiters... and nurses .. in fact anyone serving the general public
Reply 17
Original post by BigBadAsh
Working for a Mobile Network provider selling phones, contracts and other things.
Absolutely HATE it.
It's such an awful job on so many levels.

Only reason I stay is the money - I don't think any industry comes close in what a student can make here.

What is the hourly pay?
Yes, it's exciting and pays well considering I'm young, no kids that I know of yet, and a bachelor with simple needs.
What is the hourly pay?

£9.77 per hour before commission, and you get three types of commission.

I know it's not the same in competitor companies though..

I could be completely wrong, and some industries could be just as competitive now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending