The Student Room Group

Awful GCSE's, Amazing A-levels

What would happen if you applied to a top university, who usually consider your GCSE results, with absolutely awful GCSE's (6 c/b's) but amazing a-levels? (3/4 a*'s) and a killer personal statement n work experience etc etc? i'm thinking about lse in particular

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by abbie559
What would happen if you applied to a top university, who usually consider your GCSE results, with absolutely awful GCSE's (6 c/b's) but amazing a-levels? (3/4 a*'s) and a killer personal statement n work experience etc etc? i'm thinking about lse in particular

It's still possible to make it.

LSE depends what subject. You need at least 4-5 A* - A for LSE. They are one of the most GCSE heavy unis out there. Unless you have extenuating circumstances I honestly think you would still struggle.

Put it this way. Cambridge are more forgiving and understand people will improve. You would be more likely to gain a place at cambridge then at LSE. Similarly, I hear Oxford is GCSE heavy too.
Reply 3

That was my situation exactly, i got poor GCSE's, then 3A*s at a Level, with AAAAA at AS, I got offers from LSE, Bristol, Manchester - but rejected from Warwick and Durham
Oxford is probably the most likely uni to reject you without interview, depending on your school's 'prestige' - i.e. how many people do better than you. Cambridge are less likely to care, but other than that, with those A-levels you should be set for anywhere. You only need C's at GCSE in English, Maths and Science for most Uni's, but it's worth checking the course requirements.

LSE have said this: "LSE does not recognise the validity of this calculator as it is not sophisticated enough to process the full range of information that we use in our holistic undergraduate admissions process." about a UCAS offer rate calculator, so it's fair to assume that they will definitely consider your whole application and GCSEs are not often a big part as it is a different learning environment.
Reply 5
Original post by te159311
That was my situation exactly, i got poor GCSE's, then 3A*s at a Level, with AAAAA at AS, I got offers from LSE, Bristol, Manchester - but rejected from Warwick and Durham

This makes me feel better. What subject did you apply for?
Reply 6
Original post by JaqenH'gar
LSE depends what subject. You need at least 4-5 A* - A for LSE. They are one of the most GCSE heavy unis out there. Unless you have extenuating circumstances I honestly think you would still struggle.

Put it this way. Cambridge are more forgiving and understand people will improve. You would be more likely to gain a place at cambridge then at LSE. Similarly, I hear Oxford is GCSE heavy too.

What would you say about politics or history?
For me the opposite seems to have been the case: awful A levels, amazing GCSEs.
Reply 8
Original post by Captain Poldark
For me the opposite seems to have been the case: awful A levels, amazing GCSEs.

What were your results? How was applying for uni?
Reply 9

At LSE, I know those subjects would have fewer applicants per place, relative to Law or Economics. So I would say, assuming you can achieve those grades and similar AS levels (im not sure how the system works these days, do they still award AS's?). Nonetheless, your goal is achievable. If a good friend of mine who also got poor GCSE's then achieving an AAB managed to get into an LSE course (Maths and something, cant remember) then you have a good chance, its worth mentioning this person started university in 2013.
What were your results? How was applying for uni?

My AS results were mostly Cs but my GCSEs were mostly As. I have got the offers I wanted though and I think my personal statement helped.
Original post by Captain Poldark
My AS results were mostly Cs but my GCSEs were mostly As. I have got the offers I wanted though and I think my personal statement helped.

Good for you, and I hope you get the best grades you can in a few months time :smile:
Reply 12

Personal Statement will help a lot ofc. And your results show progression so that is good.

What subject are you applying for? LSE are known to discriminate based on GCSEs and they advise that you have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A* grades) (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Entry-Requirements)

For competitive courses, your GCSEs are going to weigh you down, possibly being the difference between an offer and a rejection.
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Good for you, and I hope you get the best grades you can in a few months time :smile:

Thank you. Fingers crossed :smile:.

Government at LSE is a lot less competitive so yeah go for it. Same for history, maybe not econ history though.
Reply 15
Original post by ganache
Personal Statement will help a lot ofc. And your results show progression so that is good.

What subject are you applying for? LSE are known to discriminate based on GCSEs and they advise that you have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A* grades) (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Entry-Requirements)

For competitive courses, your GCSEs are going to weigh you down, possibly being the difference between an offer and a rejection.

Politics or history, not sure yet :smile:
Reply 16

well those are less competitive so you should be fine I think.
Dude, you got a chance, you progressed, cambridge could let you in

Do you actually have 3 A*? Because if you do youll be fine. If you dont have those grades yet you should take a year out and reapply.
Original post by te159311

Yh but you're not exactly the average candidate. I don't know many people who do 5 AS' without being damn clever (and getting A's in all of them). Usual people just do 3/4 as' D:

Quick Reply

Latest