The Student Room Group

CHEVENING's mistake may cost me losing the scholarship? HELP

PLEASE HELP: About 10 days ago I received my conditional Chevening award, which means I successfully passed all the selection rounds and was expecting to be placed in my #1 choice university, to which I hold an unconditional offer.

I WAS SHOCKED TO FIND OUT that due to Chevening's mistake, I now risk losing my scholarship because of "an unfortunate situation that has resulted from an ineligible course not being spotted and removed from our application system early in the application process." TURNS OUT - The course around which I focused all my application texts and my interview responses was ineligible for the scholarship as it starts in January, but was listed in the Chevening drop-down menu. Because I was able to select the course in the system, I considered it to qualify for the scholarship and did not apply to my #2 and #3 choice course, as I WAS ALREADY accepted to the course of my highest ambitions. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and what would you advise me to do?

Have you ever filed a complaint and has it been resolved successfully? Many Thanks!
Original post by soniboni
PLEASE HELP: About 10 days ago I received my conditional Chevening award, which means I successfully passed all the selection rounds and was expecting to be placed in my #1 choice university, to which I hold an unconditional offer.

I WAS SHOCKED TO FIND OUT that due to Chevening's mistake, I now risk losing my scholarship because of "an unfortunate situation that has resulted from an ineligible course not being spotted and removed from our application system early in the application process." TURNS OUT - The course around which I focused all my application texts and my interview responses was ineligible for the scholarship as it starts in January, but was listed in the Chevening drop-down menu. Because I was able to select the course in the system, I considered it to qualify for the scholarship and did not apply to my #2 and #3 choice course, as I WAS ALREADY accepted to the course of my highest ambitions. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and what would you advise me to do?

Have you ever filed a complaint and has it been resolved successfully? Many Thanks!

Oh good lord what a terrible mistake! Have they got a formalised complaints process you can start?
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Oh good lord what a terrible mistake! Have they got a formalized complaints process you can start?

Hello, Thanks for your response! Yes they do, but complaints review time is 4 weeks. When I received the e-mail with my #1 choice uni missing, I already had less than 4 weeks left before their deadline for submitting all final documents.

Although, the Chevening website DOES say that selected courses should start in "the autumn term (usually September/October)" - the statement sounds more like a common practice than a strict requirement. I considered my course to qualify BECAUSE I was able to select it from the list. I did not cast further doubts as universities around the world have different term structures, titles and I was mislead by the Chevening system to go forth with my application. :frown: Any suggestions?

Chevening complaint.png
Hello, Thanks for your response! Yes they do, but complaints review time is 4 weeks. When I received the e-mail with my #1 choice uni missing, I already had less than 4 weeks left before their deadline for submitting all final documents.

Although, the Chevening website DOES say that selected courses should start in "the autumn term (usually September/October)" - the statement sounds more like a common practice than a strict requirement. I considered my course to qualify BECAUSE I was able to select it from the list. I did not cast further doubts as universities around the world have different term structures, titles and I was mislead by the Chevening system to go forth with my application. :frown: Any suggestions?

Chevening complaint.png

I can't be definitive because I don't have all the documents and information at hand. But, prima facie, you have a case for them to answer I think - why were you able to select something which was in fact not available and in fact ruled your application out?

I'd be tempted to ring the helpline and see what you can do to start a formal complaint a bit earlier than this 4 week malarky.
Oh good lord what a terrible mistake! Have they got a formalised complaints process you can start?

Is that insincerity i hear?
Reply 5
I can't be definitive because I don't have all the documents and information at hand. But, prima facie, you have a case for them to answer I think - why were you able to select something which was in fact not available and in fact ruled your application out?

I'd be tempted to ring the helpline and see what you can do to start a formal complaint a bit earlier than this 4 week malarky.

Thank You, I plan to call them tomorrow, will share updates!
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Is that insincerity i hear?

No! I think it's pretty crappy of them. Your insincerity-dar isn't working properly today.
Reply 7

P.S. My application is still valid, as long as I provide an unconditional offer from one of the two other universities, which is almost impossible. The fact remains that due to Chevening's mistake I now lose the chance to study where I want to and one of the world's most prestigious scholarships, which I DESERVED.
P.S. My application is still valid, as long as I provide an unconditional offer from one of the two other universities, which is almost impossible. The fact remains that due to Chevening's mistake I now lose the chance to study where I want to and one of the world's most prestigious scholarships, which I DESERVED.

I think you've got very understandable anger. Post back tomorrow after you've rung them and update us, won't you?
No! I think it's pretty crappy of them. Your insincerity-dar isn't working properly today.

I really cant get a read on your sarcasm. Tough nut to crack, one of the problems of the internet!
I really cant get a read on your sarcasm. Tough nut to crack, one of the problems of the internet!

Like I'd ever make it easy for you (or anyone, come to think of it) :smile:
Like I'd ever make it easy for you (or anyone, come to think of it) :smile:

Nah i think ive got it, when helping a user youve never helped before or on a relatively serious issue ( or one pertaining to education)-you're reality check the strict, take-no-crap examiner but when on a chat thread on say comedy or when on a troll thread youre at a sarcasm baseline. Theres my theory.
Nah i think ive got it, when helping a user youve never helped before or on a relatively serious issue ( or one pertaining to education)-you're reality check the strict, take-no-crap examiner but when on a chat thread on say comedy or when on a troll thread youre at a sarcasm baseline. Theres my theory.

:holmes:

We need to stop derailing - AGAIN :smile:
Sarcasm doesnt translate very well on TSR.

I'd be surprised if the OP doesnt get the money. I'd fancy my chances.
Original post by 999tigger
Sarcasm doesnt translate very well on TSR.

I'd be surprised if the OP doesnt get the money. I'd fancy my chances.

Yep - I agree. It's too much of a **** up from them for them just to wash their hands of it, don't you think?
Yep - I agree. It's too much of a **** up from them for them just to wash their hands of it, don't you think?

Trying not to get involved, but my complaint would be pretty fierce and i wouldnt give in. id be pretty confident it would be ok as long as they persevere. Trying to think who the relevant ombudsman might be or even whether id just go for JR.
Am sure the OP will do fine.
Reply 16
Trying not to get involved, but my complaint would be pretty fierce and i wouldnt give in. id be pretty confident it would be ok as long as they persevere. Trying to think who the relevant ombudsman might be or even whether id just go for JR.
Am sure the OP will do fine.

Thanks, I'm new here and not sure what the abbreviations mean. If you can think of any other instances I should contact besides their complaints office, please share the links.
Thanks, I'm new here and not sure what the abbreviations mean. If you can think of any other instances I should contact besides their complaints office, please share the links.

I'd go along with what RC said. For the moment you just need to follow the complaints procedure. have you talked to your intended uni? Ask them if they have ever had chevening students on the course before. I think they are wrong and you will be ok, but its what they think that matters.

If its the course objection they have then a compromise down the line is for you to keep the funding and choose a different course, although i cant see why it make a difference if its a September or Jan start. Other than the rules ofc.

If you draw a blank on the complaints procedure then you cna consider taking it further.
Reply 18
I'd go along with what RC said. For the moment you just need to follow the complaints procedure. have you talked to your intended uni? Ask them if they have ever had chevening students on the course before. I think they are wrong and you will be ok, but its what they think that matters.

If its the course objection they have then a compromise down the line is for you to keep the funding and choose a different course, although i cant see why it make a difference if its a September or Jan start. Other than the rules ofc.

If you draw a blank on the complaints procedure then you cna consider taking it further.

Thank You! What would a successful complaint mean in your opinion?

There is a HUGE chance that I don't get into any the other 2 universities due to the Chevening deadline of July the 13th, which I doubt they will postpone. Even if the remaining two universities miraculously agree to review my application earlier, I doubt my academic papers will be better than those of students, who've had the time for research, peer-review etc.

I want to defer my scholarship or insist on renewing my placement at my #1 choice uni, but I doubt they will allow for that exception :frown:((

Playing with people's lives...
Hi. Stumbled upon this while searching for Chevening, extremely curious to know how that panned out, ultimately. Please update!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending