The Student Room Group

Heatwave during exams...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40319085

So, it seems there's a chance that the hot weather will climb even hotter during this coming week, coming to a head with possible highs of 34 degrees on Thursday... which, naturally, is the date of my Prose English Lit exam. I've been struggling on 22-24 during exams - I think I might actually pass out if it climbs to 34 outside a stuffy exam hall.

Are there any allowances set in place for extremely hot/adverse weather conditions during exams? Obviously I'm not expecting them to hand out ice-creams, but is there any sort of 'disturbance' allowance that can be put on our papers, similar to being taken ill in an exam, or will it just be a sweat-and-bear-it?

Scroll to see replies

Exam boards aren't too sympathetic to any adverse weather conditions.
Bring ice cold water to your exams, maybe ask your college/sixth form to store some ice-creams in a fridge.
Thursday just happens to be the ONE day i have two exams together, both being the hardest maths exam and hardest further maths exam. My luck seems to be on point right now. kill meh plez :P
Reply 4
At that point they're not really testing your knowledge of the subject, rather how good you are at handling the heat; it's very easy to get distracted by hot conditions (had to sit through an extremely hot room during my History exam.) I think it's pretty fair for them to consider the heat, but then again everyone going through the exam will most likely experience the same level of heat - it's not as if you're at a disadvantage to anyone else.
Jesus mother of lord... 30+ !?
Original post by Toasticide
Thursday just happens to be the ONE day i have two exams together, both being the hardest maths exam and hardest further maths exam. My luck seems to be on point right now. kill meh plez :P

I can't even begin to imagine doing mathematics at 34C... Good luck!
Original post by boriapple
I can't even begin to imagine doing mathematics at 34C... Good luck!

haha thanks
I heard that if someone melts in the exam hall everyone else passes with A* :wink:

Jk we are gonna suffer just bring a nice big bottle of water!
Yep sweat and bear it. Everyone in the past has to do it during Summer as well and it wasn't perfect conditions for them either.
Original post by Reality Check
Oh come on...'disturbance allowance'

It's hot. Deal.

A two hour commute in on public transport, then hours in an exam hall... 34 degrees outside, in a room with a hundred highly stressed and sweaty students crammed together... with no open windows or doors... You're welcome to sit in there instead of me, if you want! :wink:
Reply 11
No, that's if someone dies in the exam hall.

Wait...what? That's real?
Reply 12
Original post by Valyrian
Exam boards aren't too sympathetic to any adverse weather conditions.

In other words, they don't give a ****.
Original post by S2M
In other words, they don't give a ****.

I figured as much! Just thought I'd unearth the truth. Doesn't hurt to ask!

If "local Jinkx Monsoon becomes puddle in exam hall" is on the news in the next week, you know to close my account. :tongue:
Original post by S2M
Wait...what? That's real?

It's not A*, but passing grade or predicted grade I think.
No, that's if someone dies in the exam hall.

Yeah I know:colondollar:
Original post by physicsamor
I heard that if someone melts in the exam hall everyone else passes with A* :wink:

Jk we are gonna suffer just bring a nice big bottle of water!

I agree physicslover :biggrin:
Most institutions have aircon. You should be ok as long as you don't go in wearing your Christmas jumper and long johns.
You can apply under special consideration if you have the support of the school, but I believe people have sat exams when its been warm before. so you might have to be stoic.

If you have a 2 hour commute then get there early or even the night before or take things to keep you cool. They may have some fans. They may have water available. You cna check if you are allowed to take a drink in and my tip would be to freeze a drink in the freezer over night and then it can defrost in the exam room. I think thats what i did in the past, although I never applied for SC..
Reply 19
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
I figured as much! Just thought I'd unearth the truth. Doesn't hurt to ask!

If "local Jinkx Monsoon becomes puddle in exam hall" is on the news in the next week, you know to close my account. :tongue:

Lol, somebody will then also be cleaning you up off the floor.

Quick Reply

Latest