The Student Room Group

This question will blow your mind (need mathematicians please)

If you choose an answer to this question at random, what is the chance you will be correct?:

A) 25%
B) 50%
C) 25%
D) 60%

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Isn't this a paradox?

If its not, then someone explain lol, none of the answers make sense to me.
Original post by JMR2017
If you choose an answer to this question at random, what is the chance you will be correct?:

A) 25%
B) 50%
C) 25%
D) 60%

can a person make a random choice? think you need philosophers not mathematicians!
Original post by Rarest
Isn't this a paradox?

If its not, then someone explain lol, none of the answers make sense to me.

I know, right?, I dont understand at all. 25% of choosing the correct answer, but 2 25%'s so 50% :s-smilie:
I am not going for B but if I was going to pick A or C then the chances I'll be correct would be 50% and if i went for B the chances I'll be correct will be 25%? Right @tasha_tah
Original post by Lychee627
I am not going for B but if I was going to pick A or C then the chances I'll be correct would be 50% and if i went for B the chances I'll be correct will be 25%? Right @tasha_tah

erm yes lool
Original post by tasha_tah
erm yes lool

Loool mathematician Tasha :rofl:
Loool mathematician Tasha :rofl:

no Lychee:colonhash: fm tomoro omg:cry:
That actually blew my mind ngl

Haha im sure you'll do fine :h:
Haha im sure you'll do fine :h:

insha'Allah!!!!!!!!
If you say the chance of guessing the correct chance out of 4 is 1/4, then the chance of selecting the correct answer out of these 4 is 1/2. Conversely, if you now decide the chance of guessing correctly is 1/2, then the chance of guessing correctly out of these 4 becomes a 1/4.
I would say the first answer is correct though, because the chance of guessing correctly out of any 4 options isn't 1/2 usually, only in this specific case @JMR2017
(edited 6 years ago)
insha'Allah!!!!!!!!

Insha'Allah

I hope you do well
you cannot have two answers in a multiple choice list the same
therfore the combination of A and C would make AC=25%
however in doing this the correct answer becomes 33%
therefore there is no correct answer
Original post by JMR2017
I hope you do well

thanks a lott:h:
Original post by k.russell
If you say the chance of guessing the correct chance out of 4 is 1/4, then the chance of selecting the correct answer out of these 4 is 1/2. Conversely, if you now decide the chance of guessing correctly is 1/2, then the chance of guessing correctly out of these 4 becomes a 1/2.
I would say the first answer is correct though, because the chance of guessing correctly out of any 4 options isn't 1/2 usually, only in this specific case @JMR2017

Thanks
Original post by JMR2017

A) 25%
B) 50%
C) 25%
D) 60%

0%
Original post by Anonymous
0%

Why?
Original post by JMR2017
Why?

If 1 answer is right, then the probability is 25%. But there are two options for 25% so it cant be that.

2. So if two of those answers were right the chance for it to be right is 50%, but only 1 50% is there so It cant be that.

That leaves us with 60%

there are 4 options so 4/100 multiplied by 60 will give us 2.4 , we cant have 2.4 correct answers in this type of question.

So none of the options really work, so there is no real answer. 0% makes me sound cooler but its not actually one of the options.

Quick Reply

Latest