The Student Room Group

Circumcised in the UK - self-conscious :?

Cut to the chase: i grew up in the UK where most boys/men are uncircumcised and being circumcised was rare. I was uncircumcised myself but i had an issue (phimosis) so i had to get surgery to alleviate the pain/problem. Many years have passed since then and i have had no physical issues with my penis. Sensitivity is ok (i have nothing to compare to) when i masturbate but i'm so afraid of what people (i.e. girls/women) will think if they find out im circumcised. Everyone at school talks about circumcised penises like they're the worst thing in the world to have, that they're ugly or disgusting and that it's a turn off for girls.

I know in America, its the opposite (foreskin is uncommon, circumcised is "normal") but here, I'm afraid of asking girls out or having sex on the off chance they get repulsed by my genitals :frown: It's not like my parents did it because they thought it would look better, it was because i had a medical issue.

Can anyone relate to this? Am I overthinking about it? should i not pay too much attention to it? HELP!!! :blushing:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CorgiAndButts
should i not pay too much attention to it?

Spot on. Ten outta ten. Have a nice day. :top:
My partner is circumcised as a white British male.
Little bit shocked when I saw it for the first time and figuring out how to touch him in the best way was new and educational, but I prefer it now.
Reply 3
I've been circumcised my entire sexual life, every partner I've ever had has never had an issue with it. Circumcision is more common than you think!
Reply 4
As a girl, I've been with both guys and really don't care if they're circumcised or not and don't know any friends who do so don't worry about it.
This is a good read for me. I was circumcised a week ago due to phimosis too (still a bit uncomfortable down there) and I am also from the UK. It's good to know most UK girls will be ok about being cut.
I was circumcised for the same reason and no-one has ever even commented...
Reply 7
Overthinking it definitely. Chill and enjoy a healthy sex life mate. You will be just fine 😎
Reply 8
It really doesnt matter. Truth is that male and female circumcision is abhorrent, an abuse and a crime unless required for genuine medical reasons.

Having said that a lot of people think that uncut males have a big long sock of foreskin hanging off their penis even when erect and when it rolls back,,boy its sticky and smelly.

This is total rubbish

I am uncut and even when soft, the head of my penis is fully exposed and most of all,,clean.

Cleanliness is a personal issue,not a physiological issue.

You might as well say that we should amputate ear lobes as it keeps your earholes cleaner !

So to the OP,,dont worry about it. There are plent of cut and uncut males in the UK. Unfortunately the number of cut males and females is increasing rapidly due to barbaric social and religious practices but what can you do?
Reply 9
I'm in the same situation as you and was extremely self conscious about it when in school dye to the mickey taking etc. I must say though, since I left school and joined the greater world my view haschanged and I'm now very confident due to the comments I've had from women who have seen and felt it. My current gf likes to bring the subject up in the pub and I must say, it quite turns me on when women or men ask me about it. You'll get over your lack of confidence. Just be upfront and treat it as an advantage rather than an impediment.
It's not routine - fortunately - but there are plenty of circumcised men in the UK. Some have had it done for health reasons, some (typically as young children) for religious reasons, some were born somewhere where it is routine.

No-one worth sleeping with is ever going to mind.
This will not be an issue for girls unless you make it one, e.g. it affects your confidence. Erect penises look the same whether circumcised or uncircumcised and that's the state girls are presumably most likely to see you in anyway. You are overthinking.
Reply 12
I was born in the late 1950,s in the UK my grandmother was a nurse at the maternity hospital were i was born i was circumcised at 5 days old as my parents ask for it. was,nt till i was 16 or 17 that i discover that my father was circumcised and that my grand mother was all in favor of the pracise.In 1988 i met and married a canidan girl 2 years later our first son was born once he was 13 days old we had him Circumcised at a private clinic in London, he more than happy about the fact his mum and i had him circumcised his is now 29 with 2 of his own sons also both circumcised i ingnore the Anti circ lot and refuse to listen to them
No woman who is sane is going to care. Stop worrying!

Wear protection when having fun though!
circumcision can take place because of religion, family beliefs, medical matters and more, it actually is more common than you think. also i personally have only seen a circumcised penis in real life and i think its better
Honestly girls obsess over their own insecurities so much that i doubt any one is going to stop to judge you mid way through stuff
I worried about this all through my youth and got bullied at school so it has always been a big issue for me. The reality is no one cares. You are perfectly normal. I no longer have an issue. I swim every day and get changed in communal changing and there's great variety and no one bothers whether you are circumcised or not. It's just not an issue. The only one that will be worrying about it is you. It's really not worth the worry, i assure you. We've all got one and they are basically all the same. I have 6 kids.... so being circumcised hasn't stopped me having a good sex life or showing my ability to have kids is as good as any man's. So yes, you are definitely over thinking it as I have for decades, during which I went through so much anxiety for nothing. PLEASE take it from me....... it's not worth even giving it any thought time.
Original post by CorgiAndButts
Cut to the chase: i grew up in the UK where most boys/men are uncircumcised and being circumcised was rare. I was uncircumcised myself but i had an issue (phimosis) so i had to get surgery to alleviate the pain/problem. Many years have passed since then and i have had no physical issues with my penis. Sensitivity is ok (i have nothing to compare to) when i masturbate but i'm so afraid of what people (i.e. girls/women) will think if they find out im circumcised. Everyone at school talks about circumcised penises like they're the worst thing in the world to have, that they're ugly or disgusting and that it's a turn off for girls.

I know in America, its the opposite (foreskin is uncommon, circumcised is "normal":wink: but here, I'm afraid of asking girls out or having sex on the off chance they get repulsed by my genitals :frown: It's not like my parents did it because they thought it would look better, it was because i had a medical issue.

Can anyone relate to this? Am I overthinking about it? should i not pay too much attention to it? HELP!!! :blushing:

I am circumcised and I have always preferred it that way so I think my positive feeling has meant I don't get negative comments. I have had flattering comments by some girls and also one or two guys in the gym.
Original post by Anonymous
circumcision can take place because of religion, family beliefs, medical matters and more, it actually is more common than you think. also i personally have only seen a circumcised penis in real life and i think its better

Agreed. Circumsied is cool!
Original post by SexySahir
I am circumcised and I have always preferred it that way so I think my positive feeling has meant I don't get negative comments. I have had flattering comments by some girls and also one or two guys in the gym.

Erm ... WHAT!

Quick Reply

Latest