The Student Room Group

BBC News shows other shows and weather after huge terror attack

When the Manchester bombing happened, I didn't see the BBC airing a report on fish and showing us the weather every 30 minutes. I saw full coverage of the incident and nothing else. Same goes for London Bridge attack and the Westminster attack. But for the terror attack in Finsbury Park, they show programs and act like this is just some small news item? Why?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Probably because there was one fatality and the attacker is in custody.

We know what happened, now we just wait for more information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meany Pie
Probably because there was one fatality and the attacker is in custody.

We know what happened, now we just wait for more information.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fatality had already had a heart attack and probably would have died anyway.

It is not a big story by comparison with the others except in the sense that it confirms the Islamist narrative that Muslims simply can't live peacefully with others, there will always be conflict. They weren't the aggressors here, but it is all part of this Islamist world view.

This crazed loon was even adopting one of the similarly crazed loon tactics of these Jihadis. He couldn't have illustrated their argument better (although I doubt he was aware of this).
Original post by Trapz99
When the Manchester bombing happened, I didn't see the BBC airing a report on fish and showing us the weather every 30 minutes. I saw full coverage of the incident and nothing else. Same goes for London Bridge attack and the Westminster attack. But for the terror attack in Finsbury Park, they show programs and act like this is just some small news item? Why?

Is this actually an important point to be making today? And have you heard of confirmation bias?
(edited 6 years ago)
Whilst I agree that the attack in London should be given a lot of attention, I would still like to know what's going on in the rest of the world.
The fish story was while the attack was breaking news, very soon after the attack itself, and much the same as other terror attacks lately, very little is known immediately.

As for the rest of the coverage, they do take breaks - even from terror - to give the rest of the news.
Reply 6
Hmm good question. Not sure why a one death incident isn't getting as much coverage as a 22 death incident
Reply 7
I actually laughed out loud, a fish story? I am intrigued, can someone link it to me, my curiosity has peaked :rofl:
Reply 8
Original post by astutehirstute
The fatality had already had a heart attack and probably would have died anyway.

It is not a big story by comparison with the others except in the sense that it confirms the Islamist narrative that Muslims simply can't live peacefully with others, there will always be conflict. They weren't the aggressors here, but it is all part of this Islamist world view.

This crazed loon was even adopting one of the similarly crazed loon tactics of these Jihadis. He couldn't have illustrated their argument better (although I doubt he was aware of this).

He's not a "crazed loon" - he's a radicalised terrorist driven by white nationalist propaganda. Please call him for what he is.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mashbbk
I actually laughed out loud, a fish story?

It was a good story too, would watch again :smile:
Original post by Trapz99

Its really a pretty poor attempt to make a point.

meany pie made two very points which answer it, but your post depresses me that you even made it.

BBC website its the lead story, with several additional articles.
BBC News its the main story.
BBC Radio its the main story.
BBC news 24 its almost rolling coverage.

Theres only so much you can say about it and thankfully it is not on the same scale as either of the other London attacks or Manchester.. If it had been then there would have been more coverage.

Sad as all these attacks are people still have their own lives to be getting on with. o and watch BBC news 24 if you want rolling coverage ir use the BBC live update rolling news page on the website.,.
Reply 11
Original post by Trapz99

From this terrorist attack, we can put the Media to test.:tongue:
prolly due to larger scale of attacks?
Original post by cfc12345
He's not a "crazed loon" - he's a radicalised terrorist driven by white nationalist propaganda. Please call him for what he is.

Except that you can't say that.

As the suspect is still alive and will stand trial, the media has to abide by strict rules about what they can and can't say, so as not to jeopardise any future criminal proceedings. If he is what you say he is, you wouldn't want him being declared not guilty due to his defence team declaring it impossible for a free and fair trial to be held due to improper media reports.

So no, you can't call him that, not unless you want him to get away with it.
Original post by Trapz99

Why didnt you put news 24 on? Do you know how to use your remote control?
Original post by Drewski
Except that you can't say that.

As the suspect is still alive and will stand trial, the media has to abide by strict rules about what they can and can't say, so as not to jeopardise any future criminal proceedings. If he is what you say he is, you wouldn't want him being declared not guilty due to his defence team declaring it impossible for a free and fair trial to be held due to improper media reports.

So no, you can't call him that, not unless you want him to get away with it.

That's completely and utterly irrelevant. The fact that he is still alive and facing trial doesn't change his intentions nor what he achieved. Whether he is declared guilty or not guilty doesn't change the fact that he killed people to drive his political views.
Original post by cfc12345
Whether he is declared guilty or not guilty doesn't change the fact that he killed people to drive his political views.

Yes, it does. Because you can't report something that's not been proven.
Which is why no (responsible) media outlets will say things like that until it's in court or at least if the authorities say it so it can be quoted.
When it happened all the media covered it I think you're making something out of nothing.

Also it wasn't a big terror attack, it was a few people run over.
Original post by Trapz99

Do you have evidence to suggest there was clear bias in time allocated to each attack for the major media outlets?
It was a much smaller scale attack.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending