The Student Room Group

Degree level graphic design question

Hi, I've just finished my GCSEs and I want to go into graphic design.

I was wondering how degree level graphic design is assessed (coursework, portfolio, examinations etc). And as my college course is vocational so I will not be taking any exams. So would it help to take notes during classes and revise them, or focus entirely on my coursework and not so much the theory?

Thanks
Original post by majesticotaku

I was wondering how degree level graphic design is assessed (coursework, portfolio, examinations etc). And as my college course is vocational so I will not be taking any exams. So would it help to take notes during classes and revise them, or focus entirely on my coursework and not so much the theory?

Thanks

It's very rare for a creative course like Graphic Design to involve any written exams. You might have practical exams - responding to a live brief from a "client" within a set period of time but mainly you'd be assessed based on your coursework - both your portfolio and your writing/preparatory design work. Understanding the theory will help you in your coursework at university level (and should be helping with your portfolio at the moment) so it's not a good idea to neglect it.
Original post by PQ
It's very rare for a creative course like Graphic Design to involve any written exams. You might have practical exams - responding to a live brief from a "client" within a set period of time but mainly you'd be assessed based on your coursework - both your portfolio and your writing/preparatory design work. Understanding the theory will help you in your coursework at university level (and should be helping with your portfolio at the moment) so it's not a good idea to neglect it.

Ok thank you I will keep that in mind for the future :smile:
Original post by majesticotaku

Thanks

Hi majesticotaku,

Congratulations on finishing your GCSEs!!! Get a lot of sleep this summer !

I'm currently a studying BA Graphic Design in Ravensbourne and I highly suggest you to read up on different theories and artists/designers as well as going to museums and galleries. Having a open mind about what is going on around the world and designs that have already happened will help you show your passion for the course when applying for Universities. It will also help you with inspiration for your projects.

If you have any more questions on the course or just Graphic Design feel free to ask,

Row:h:

PS Have a good summer!
Original post by Ravensbourne
Hi majesticotaku,

Congratulations on finishing your GCSEs!!! Get a lot of sleep this summer !

I'm currently a studying BA Graphic Design in Ravensbourne and I highly suggest you to read up on different theories and artists/designers as well as going to museums and galleries. Having a open mind about what is going on around the world and designs that have already happened will help you show your passion for the course when applying for Universities. It will also help you with inspiration for your projects.

If you have any more questions on the course or just Graphic Design feel free to ask,

Row:h:

PS Have a good summer!

Thanks!! Really helpful :smile: I'll make sure to do that

Quick Reply

Latest