The Student Room Group

Vehicle collides with pedestrians in London Finsbury Park

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moonstruck16
People be reaching today. Sometimes I really hate this forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you not like it when ppl preach?:h:
Original post by Meany Pie
When did I ever say it was limited to just killing?

You didn't, but then doesn't that mean we can't wholly blame people for their actions.

The law currently provides concessions to those who are deemed to be mentally unfit. Do you feel these should apply to everyone or should they be scrapped altogether (you mentioned you don't want diminished responsibility in this case)?
Original post by NickLCFC
The person who did this was a WHITE MAN. This was an Islamophobic terrorist attack.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Islamophobia is a much bigger problem in the UK than so-called "Islamic terrorism".

Um... what? There's been about 20 Islamic terror attacks in Europe over the past year or two, and maybe 1 or two Islamophobic attacks...
Reply 283
Original post by zezno
Waiting for right-wingers to condemn this attack and explain what they have tried to do to stop this man
But that's the point. People who have some measure of support for his actions or motivations might not condemn it.

If you ask an alt-rightist to condemn this and they refuse, then you can legitimately assume that they might have some measure of support for their actions or motivations.

It works just as well both ways.
Original post by mashbbk
You didn't, but then doesn't that mean we can't wholly blame people for their actions.

The law currently provides concessions to those who are deemed to be mentally unfit. Do you feel these should apply to everyone or should they be scrapped altogether (you mentioned you don't want diminished responsibility in this case)?

Their mental capability should be assessed in the same manner it always is.
White people who say this was a revenge attack are literally terrorist sympathisers and apologists but would never be labelled that
Original post by QE2
But that's the point. People who have some measure of support for his actions or motivations might not condemn it.

If you ask an alt-rightist to condemn this and they refuse, then you can legitimately assume that they might have some measure of support for their actions or motivations.

It works just as well both ways.

Well it is different if you condemn the actions but aren't public with your condemnation, and actually not condemning the action.

Finding Muslims for example who didn't condemn the London Bridge attacks would have been like finding a needle in a haystack (unless you lived in Syria). But there were some who criticised Muslims for not going out and marching for example (although I know there were some demonstrations/walks from various groups).

I am not going to ask you guys to go publicly condemn the guy though, but some were asking just that of Muslims (and to be fair a lot of them did, including many scholars). Sorry but Isis won't change their mind because we called them terrorists. His post was surrounding the (in my opinion) unfair criticism of Muslims.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
White people who say this was a revenge attack are literally terrorist sympathisers and apologists but would never be labelled that

Why is trying to understand someone's motives labelled as a terrorist sympathiser?

Simply condemming their actions and hoping it won't happen again is tantamount to burying one's head in the sand no?

By understanding the motivation behind such attrosities it surely gives us the ability to counter such ideas head on?
Original post by Future.
Do you not like it when ppl preach?:h:

I said reach

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 289
Original post by mashbbk
Well it is different if you condemn the actions but aren't public with your condemnation, and actually not condemning the action.

Finding Muslims for example who didn't condemn the London Bridge attacks would have been like finding a needle in a haystack (unless you lived in Syria). But there were some who criticised Muslims for not going out and marching for example (although I know there were some demonstrations/walks from various groups).

I am not going to ask you guys to go publicly condemn the guy though, but some were asking just that of Muslims (and to be fair a lot of them did, including many scholars). Sorry but Isis won't change their mind because we called them terrorists.
I assume that everyone's default position is one of condemnation - why wouldn't it be?
The point was about those who explicitly refuse to condemn such events, even when asked, whatever their political or religious position.

BTW, you can find people who explicitly refused to condemn the Manchester and London attacks on ISOC, right here on TSR.
Original post by Moonstruck16

oh sorry i misread:tongue: lol
Original post by QE2
I assume that everyone's default position is one of condemnation - why wouldn't it be?
The point was about those who explicitly refuse to condemn such events, even when asked, whatever their political or religious position.

BTW, you can find people who explicitly refused to condemn the Manchester and London attacks on ISOC, right here on TSR.

What I mean is, the guy you was quoting was making the joke of asking people to go and condemn the attacks, do stuff to stop this from happening etc - which obviously is ludicrous as like you said, default position is condemnation (and there is nothing you could have done to stop the attack).

Yet, Muslims were criticised (not buy you perhaps, but many others) for not making more of a public hoohaa with the condemnation (though from what I saw, Twitter, Facebook, media interviews etc all had just that!), some even to the point that we are responsible and that we need to do more to stop it (even after having reported said suspects several times to authorities).

Care to link me to some of these ISOC members (presuming they aren't troll accounts), if so that is quite worrying.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by glad-he-ate-her

And what about people who say that Islamic terror is a revenge for us destroying ISIS?
Original post by ByEeek
Why is trying to understand someone's motives labelled as a terrorist sympathiser?

Simply condemming their actions and hoping it won't happen again is tantamount to burying one's head in the sand no?

By understanding the motivation behind such attrosities it surely gives us the ability to counter such ideas head on?

Did I say we shouldn't condemn them?
All I said is the white people who say this was revenge are sympathising with acts of terror.
Original post by desaf1
This is a callous terrorist attack and I am shocked at the low level of media coverage of this attack. Westminster, Manchester and London Bridge received full time coverage. This is hardly a headline

You need to press that big red button on your remote whilst pointing it at the tv . (Make sure the tv is plugged into wall)
Original post by NickLCFC
The person who did this was a WHITE MAN. This was an Islamophobic terrorist attack.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Islamophobia is a much bigger problem in the UK than so-called "Islamic terrorism".

Would you like to tell that to the 23 families of the dead and the 119 injured of the Manchester attack or the 1 family of the dead and 8 injured in the attack this morning?
Amber Rudd Home Secretary says it's NOT a terror attack.

Why? :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 297
Original post by SMEGGGY
Amber Rudd Home Secretary says it's NOT a terror attack.

Why? :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's Amber Rudd.
Original post by queen-bee
Omg,some of the white supremacists on this thread justifying the attack make me feel so :puke:
(You know who you are)

Go **** yourselfs.

As for the The attack. Something needs to be done against the rise of anti Muslim hatred. They are the largest victims of terrorism. Much love <3
Please report them, they could also technically could be in breach of UK law. It's illegal to glorify and support terrorist/terrorist organisations or call for the death of people.
Original post by UWS
It's Amber Rudd.

I wrote that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending