The Student Room Group

Provisional driving license

Can you really get a provisional driving license for free in the post office? Because my parents said you can. I'm 16 and 5 months currently, so they want me to apply asap so when I turn 17, I can take the test (both theory and practical). So, it is actually free to take from the post office?
Reply 1
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
Can you really get a provisional driving license for free in the post office? Because my parents said you can. I'm 16 and 5 months currently, so they want me to apply asap so when I turn 17, I can take the test (both theory and practical). So, it is actually free to take from the post office?

I think you get it from the DVLA and you have to pay for it.
No provisional driving license is free. I had to pay about £30 for mine and it took 1-2 weeks to arrive.

I thought you had to pay like £40/50 regardless ?
Reply 4
Original post by Valyrian
No provisional driving license is free. I had to pay about £30 for mine and it took 1-2 weeks to arrive.

I paid about the same and mine came in a week or less I think.
Reply 5
Original post by zeullius
I thought you had to pay like £40/50 regardless ?

You do have to pay round about that much.
x

Moved this to 'Cars and Motoring' :smile:

It's free to get the FORM from the post office but you have to pay depending where you live (£60 in Northern Ireland and I think it's like £45 or something in England, just check online on the gov.co.uk site)
Original post by disputant
It's free to get the FORM from the post office but you have to pay depending where you live (£60 in Northern Ireland and I think it's like £45 or something in England, just check online on the gov.co.uk site)

So, you just ask the post office for a D1 form and they give it to you for free? Or will they ask me for payment?
Reply 9
So, you just ask the post office for a D1 form and they give it to you for free? Or will they ask me for payment?

Its quicker to do online
\https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence
Reply 10
You don't need to visit the Post Office, you can just apply online: https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence

Paper or electronic, the application will cost you £34. Though you save the cost of a second-class stamp if you go the online route, I'm sure that 12p could come in handy. :smile:

When I was applying I got the form for free but when my dad took me to a MOT centre I had to pay there
Those of you telling me to apply online, am I able to send a photo of myself too?
Reply 13
Those of you telling me to apply online, am I able to send a photo of myself too?

You cannot get a provisional licence for free - only the form is free at the Post Office, you would still need to send a cheque with payment.

When you do the application online, they will send you out a form to complete where you can attach a photograph of yourself (if you have a UK Passport, this is not the case). It is cheaper to do the application online.
I just applied for mine, you can do it online or by post. To do it online is £34 and by post £43.
I recommend online it is so much quicker to fill out and less complicated and also a little cheaper.
Reply 15

If you have a passport already, they will use your passport photograph.

If not, you can simply upload an image yourself, but it has to meet the normal passport photo requirements.
Reply 16
Original post by Dez
If not, you can simply upload an image yourself, but it has to meet the normal passport photo requirements.

Last time I checked, this isn't the case. Upon completing the online application, DVLA will send out a paper form with a clear sticky window to attach a typical size passport photo. The photo needs to be countersigned by the usual suspects (good standing in community of a certain profession).

Has this changed recently?
Reply 17
Original post by IWMTom
Last time I checked, this isn't the case. Upon completing the online application, DVLA will send out a paper form with a clear sticky window to attach a typical size passport photo. The photo needs to be countersigned by the usual suspects (good standing in community of a certain profession).

Has this changed recently?

Ah I might be wrong then, I know you can definitely upload an image if you're reapplying for a licence, but if it's your first identity document (i.e. you don't have a passport) then the countersigning thing would make sense.
Reply 18
Just apply online!
Reply 19
Original post by Dez
Ah I might be wrong then, I know you can definitely upload an image if you're reapplying for a licence, but if it's your first identity document (i.e. you don't have a passport) then the countersigning thing would make sense.

Yeah that makes sense to me too, never renewed a licence so wouldn't know 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending