The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Not meeting the conditions for an offer

I am an American student and I received a conditional offer from the University of Glasgow. The offer required me to take 3 AP exams or 3 SAT Subject tests, or 2 AP Exams/2 SAT Subject Tests but with a regular SAT score of 1280/ACT score of 27. While I took 2 AP Exams (of which the scores are only available on the ninth of July), my regular SAT score was 1225.

I would retake the regular SAT or ACT if I could, but since there are no testing dates over the summer for any of the standardized testing, it would be impossible.

I tried calling the Undergrad admissions for Glasgow but the lady basically just repeated what was on the Glasgow website.

However, since the scores for the 2 AP tests I did take come out on 9th July, theoretically, if I were to get either perfect or close to perfect scores, do you think there's a chance Glasgow might still accept me based on the AP Test results?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by elsiebells2001
I am an American student and I received a conditional offer from the University of Glasgow. The offer required me to take 3 AP exams or 3 SAT Subject tests, or 2 AP Exams/2 SAT Subject Tests but with a regular SAT score of 1280/ACT score of 27. While I took 2 AP Exams (of which the scores are only available on the ninth of July), my regular SAT score was 1225.

I would retake the regular SAT or ACT if I could, but since there are no testing dates over the summer for any of the standardized testing, it would be impossible.

I tried calling the Undergrad admissions for Glasgow but the lady basically just repeated what was on the Glasgow website.

However, since the scores for the 2 AP tests I did take come out on 9th July, theoretically, if I were to get either perfect or close to perfect scores, do you think there's a chance Glasgow might still accept me based on the AP Test results?

Technically you failed to meet their conditions, so you will have to wait untl they know how many people did meet them.

If they then have spare unfilled places they will look at the next tier down of students who got the grades but not in the subjects they asked.

Next it is down to the people who didnt get the grades, but still got the equivalent UCAS points or more i.e did better in some over others.

In your situation if your AP scores are higher or much higher than they asked for, then they will bear that in mind when looking at the one where you fell below.

There is still a reasonable chance they would accept you, but they have to look at how many people take up their offer before looking at those who just fell below the requirements. That varies from year to year.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
You'll probably be accepted because you're an overseas student = more money for Glasgow. Lol

But I wouldn't count on that, you'll just have to wait and see.
Original post by 999tigger
Technically you failed to meet their conditions, so you will have to wait untl they know how many people did meet them.

If they then have spare unfilled places they will look at the next tier down of students who got the grades but not in the subjects they asked.

Next it is down to the people who didnt get the grades, but still got the equivalent UCAS points or more i.e did better in some over others.

In your situation if your AP scores are higher or much higher than they asked for, then they will bear that in mind when looking at the one where you fell below.

There is still a reasonable chance they would accept you, but they have to look at how many people take up their offer before looking at those who just fell below the requirements. That varies from year to year.

thank you so much, this was super helpful. :smile:
thank you so much, this was super helpful. :smile:

Id like to have given you more, but only the uni can tell you and they wont know until the day.

All students who fail to meet their offer are in the same boat. They usually have some places, so there is a chance.

You might have an advantage in that you will know your results before the Highers and A levels come out.

When you have them, then contact the uni straight away to see if they can make a decision. they may ask you to wait till Highers and A levels come out, but at least they will bear you in mind..

Stating the obvious but the further away you are from the grade the less your chances and getting more than they asked for in the other two doesnt do you any harm.

You may also have an advantage in being an international student in they will want the fees..

Finally if your exam results are disappointing, then do not panic, but just resit and reapply. Its just a year and you only have one life. If its its really what you want to do then dont let a small setback stop you from reaching your goal.
Original post by 999tigger
Id like to have given you more, but only the uni can tell you and they wont know until the day.

All students who fail to meet their offer are in the same boat. They usually have some places, so there is a chance.

You might have an advantage in that you will know your results before the Highers and A levels come out.

When you have them, then contact the uni straight away to see if they can make a decision. they may ask you to wait till Highers and A levels come out, but at least they will bear you in mind..

Stating the obvious but the further away you are from the grade the less your chances and getting more than they asked for in the other two doesnt do you any harm.

You may also have an advantage in being an international student in they will want the fees..

Finally if your exam results are disappointing, then do not panic, but just resit and reapply. Its just a year and you only have one life. If its its really what you want to do then dont let a small setback stop you from reaching your goal.

you're totally right i really need to chill lol, but thats really interesting that they might want me because of the higher international fees.
(edited 6 years ago)
you're totally right i really need to chill lol, but thats really interesting that they might want me because of the higher international fees.

I wouldnt put too much stock in it, but they do like foreign students. the main emphasis was if you dont get in.

If its your dream then dont let it fo for the sake of a year. Studying in a foreign country could be lifechanging for you, so simply try again instead of settling for second best.

Just so you know, your thread is now in the Glasgow Uni forum.
Dreamliner

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending