The Student Room Group

Mum wants/forcing me to take the hijab off - help!

Hey basically I started to wear the scarf last year, I was never too religious, like always been moderate. I'm not the best of Muslims, like I've had boyfriends and stuff (before wearing it). I decided to wear it because I felt that if I was going to wearing when I'm older I might aswell start wearing it and it may help me to become a better person- and it really has. Now my mum is putting constant pressure on me to take it off and somewhat forcing me, and don't want to because I actually don't mind wearing it, she feels like I'm "not living my life" and "it's too early" I know that many of you will find it weird, but coming from a North African background doesn't mean that we're like strict full on Muslims. I really don't want to take it off and I've spoken to her many times about it but she's the type to always get her word down, I really don't know what to do!
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Help this sister please :h: I'd say carry on wearing it
(edited 6 years ago)
be a rebel.
How does wearing a religious garment make you a better person?
Reply 4
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

Because I believe that the point if the hijab is not just like modesty of the appearance but like having a modest personality as well. Like before I used to be a full on b**** and stuff, but not when I'm wearing it it like reminds me to like stop being or doing something bad
Original post by Anonymous
Because I believe that the point if the hijab is not just like modesty of the appearance but like having a modest personality as well. Like before I used to be a full on b**** and stuff, but not when I'm wearing it it like reminds me to like stop being or doing something bad

So you need to wear an article of clothing to remind you to be a decent human being?
Reply 6
Original post by Lychee627
Help this sister please :h: I'd say carry on wearing it

But she'd stop talking to me or something lol, and get the rest of my family to keep putting pressure on me to take it off, even my dad is trying to get me to take it off, the think that I'm not happy and I'm not living my life properly as I should in this age e.g. Going out with boys wearing what I want etc
Reply 7
So you need to wear an article of clothing to remind you to be a decent human being?

No wtf, it's just the fact that idk it just encourages you to be more restrained, like not getting drunk or something wearing it, not that I would not wearing it, but idk
Reply 8
But she'd stop talking to me or something lol, and get the rest of my family to keep putting pressure on me to take it off, even my dad is trying to get me to take it off, the think that I'm not happy and I'm not living my life properly as I should in this age e.g. Going out with boys wearing what I want etc

If you want to wear it, WEAR it. Don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't wear.

@OGGUS preach to this sista x
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9

If that works for her, why not?

If she feels more comfortable and happy wearing it, then its none of your business,take your thinly veiled islamophobia somewhere else. Should be her decision to wear or not, you wouldnt try to force a muslim woman who doesnt wear it to wear it so why vice versa?
No wtf, it's just the fact that idk it just encourages you to be more restrained, like not getting drunk or something wearing it, not that I would not wearing it, but idk

I just don't understand why you can't have restraint, be compassionate and abstain from sexual relationships, etc without wearing it.

But hey, fair play to you, if it's something you believe in then keep doing it.

I take it you've given the same arguments you've given me to your mum?
Respect to you my sister.

Hey basically I started to wear the scarf last year, I was never too religious, like always been moderate. I'm not the best of Muslims, like I've had boyfriends and stuff (before wearing it). I decided to wear it because I felt that if I was going to wearing when I'm older I might aswell start wearing it and it may help me to become a better person- and it really has. Now my mum is putting constant pressure on me to take it off and somewhat forcing me, and don't want to because I actually don't mind wearing it, she feels like I'm "not living my life" and "it's too early" I know that many of you will find it weird, but coming from a North African background doesn't mean that we're like strict full on Muslims. I really don't want to take it off and I've spoken to her many times about it but she's the type to always get her word down, I really don't know what to do!
Thanks

You realise you don't have to use filler words such as "like" when you are typing. Don't let your poor spoken English erode your written English.
I just don't understand why you can't have restraint, be compassionate and abstain from sexual relationships, etc without wearing it.

But hey, fair play to you, if it's something you believe in then keep doing it.

I take it you've given the same arguments you've given me to your mum?

I can, no I told her that I was old enough to do want I want etc, I told her if she wanted me to take it off then she should take it off herself
Reply 15
Wear it. Just because you are further ahead in your journey than your mother so what? Im assuming she doesn't wear it and therefore almost wants you also not to because she isn't strong enough to yet. You do you and don't worry about what she says. In Islam, the only time when you do not have to listen to your parents is when they are trying to tell you something against the teachings of your religion. in this instance God allows you to disobey her as you are doing something to please him.
Original post by Future.
If you want to wear it, WEAR it. Don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't wear.

Can I pm you?
If you want to wear it, wear it.

If it gives you "comfort" I'd encourage you to do so.
Reply 18
Can I pm you?

yes:h:
It's your life, wear what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending