The Student Room Group

do law firms verify degree qualifications and individual grades

hi guys,

this question is aimed at those who have got a training contract and those who are currently looking for a training contract

my question is do law firms verify you law degree qualification (i.e. the classification and individual subject grades) by approaching the university you studied at, or just rely on the paperwork you provide them?

thanks.
Original post by theanonymousone1
, or just rely on the paperwork you provide them?

thanks.

Law firms tend to be good at checking details and ascertaining facts...
My firm (city firm) asked me to provide an original transcript and original degree certificate before starting my TC.

I don't think they actually approached the university. Though some firms may well do this. But I do think they approached my academic reference. Most firms engage a third party company who will verify the details/grades on your CV.

I also had to provide an original transcript and certificate when moving to a different firm after qualification.
hi guys,

this question is aimed at those who have got a training contract and those who are currently looking for a training contract

my question is do law firms verify you law degree qualification (i.e. the classification and individual subject grades) by approaching the university you studied at, or just rely on the paperwork you provide them?

thanks.

What paperwork?

Why would there be an issue as to whether they contacted your uni or not?
thank you all for your responses,

So it is down to the law firm. what if i lie about some of my individual grades and the law firm finds out during the application process, can they report me to the SRA and what are the chances of me defending myself by saying it was a simple typo error.
thank you all for your responses,

So it is down to the law firm. what if i lie about some of my individual grades and the law firm finds out during the application process, can they report me to the SRA and what are the chances of me defending myself by saying it was a simple typo error.
The only thing that I would add to J-SP's post is that any claim of a 'typo' will look even more suspicious if, for example, it happened to be on the one module that you did worst in or didn't secure a certain grade in. Any amendment may well be of limited importance anyway unless your talking about an amendment that would alter your entire degree classification, which you would obviously be unlikely to get away with in the long run.

Honestly, I don't see why you would even contemplate taking such a potentially career ending risk.
Original post by jacketpotato
My firm (city firm) asked me to provide an original transcript and original degree certificate before starting my TC.

I don't think they actually approached the university. Though some firms may well do this. But I do think they approached my academic reference. Most firms engage a third party company who will verify the details/grades on your CV.

I also had to provide an original transcript and certificate when moving to a different firm after qualification.

Did they call up your school for A levels or did you just need to show them certificates?
Reply 7
Original post by jacksmithson123
Did they call up your school for A levels or did you just need to show them certificates?

Why does it worry you if they did? Unless, of course, your certificates are fake...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I lost my certificates so was wondering if law firms check with sixth form?
Reply 9
Original post by jacksmithson123
I lost my certificates so was wondering if law firms check with sixth form?

You will need to replace the certicates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply