The Student Room Group

I have failed my A-levels and won't get into my firm uni

I know the results haven't come out yet and I still have a few exams left but it's no use. I've failed and I can't catch up and there's not enough time to study for the rest. (they're tomorrow)

Should I give up on life now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can always resit them, go to your insurance uni or apply through clearing.

And who says you need to go to university, there are many apprenticeships which pay you and you study. You are in the UK, your options are amazing. Your future is bright.
Reply 2
Original post by jhgjhgg
You can always resit them, go to your insurance uni or apply through clearing.

And who says you need to go to university, there are many apprenticeships which pay you and you study. You are in the UK, your options are amazing. Your future is bright.

Don't most unis require you to have completed your A-levels in 2 years or less? So I can't resit them.
I will definitely consider apprenticeships though. Thanks
Original post by Inker
Don't most unis require you to have completed your A-levels in 2 years or less? So I can't resit them.

Is this true?
Reply 4
Original post by Inker

That may very well be the case. I finished my A Levels in 2010, so I am a bit out of date, haha.

Yes, have a look at apprenticeships as a backup. Clearing is also good, you can always apply for your preferred universities for a masters, the competition is less competitive the higher up you go. It is much easier to get into say LSE for a masters degree than it is for an undergraduate degree, though both are not a walk in the park, you still need to have decent grades and a good CV.
Original post by Inker
I know the results haven't come out yet and I still have a few exams left but it's no use. I've failed and I can't catch up and there's not enough time to study for the rest. (they're tomorrow)

Should I give up on life now?

Seriously the sky will not fall in.

Focus on your remaining exams and if you have to sacrifice one , then concentrate on one you can rescue.

Just resit and take a gap. Go next year if you dont wish to use clearing.
Reply 6
Original post by XOR_
Is this true?

I did A Levels in 2010 and we could resit back then, I don't know if it has changed. I hope someone can clear this up for OP.
Reply 7
Nahh dont give up yet, we're still young and it's just exam. You can retake them whenever. Different people progress at different rates, some may do better than us now, but if you keep working hard in the future, whatever coming is bright my friend. Enjoy life man/woman. :smile:
Original post by Inker

Untrue. If you have a valid reason for needing to resit (such as mitigating circumstances) most unis will accept someone who has studied their A-Levels over 3 years. And even if you don't have a reason, a lot of unis will accept you regardless, providing that you note down in your personal statement why you think you failed and that you are working hard to correct your mistakes.

I did my A-Levels over 3 years, and still managed to get two offers for what is arguably known to be one of the most competitive courses.
Original post by Inker

I asked s teacher in my school that incase I messed up my exams could I return and resit my A2's and she said they would consider me returning if they knew that I genuinely tried but things didn't work out. Maybe your school could consider you too. But don't think so negatively if you still have exams left because chances are you won't perform as well as you would've with a positive mindset.
Reply 10
Original post by Bezoar
Untrue. If you have a valid reason for needing to resit (such as mitigating circumstances) most unis will accept someone who has studied their A-Levels over 3 years. And even if you don't have a reason, a lot of unis will accept you regardless, providing that you note down in your personal statement why you think you failed and that you are working hard to correct your mistakes.

I did my A-Levels over 3 years, and still managed to get two offers for what is arguably known to be one of the most competitive courses.

TWO offers for ONE course?!?!!?!!?!?!? wow... did they realise you're only one candidate?
Original post by Inker
TWO offers for ONE course?!?!!?!!?!?!? wow... did they realise you're only one candidate?

Is that supposed to be sarcasm? :confused: Bearing in mind I only applied to 3 unis that year.
Reply 12
Original post by Bezoar
Is that supposed to be sarcasm? :confused: Bearing in mind I only applied to 3 unis that year.

how can you have two offers for one course?
Original post by Inker
how can you have two offers for one course?

I applied to three different unis, for the same course. Two out of three gave me an offer. How is that hard to understand? :confused:
Reply 14
Original post by Bezoar
I applied to three different unis, for the same course. Two out of three gave me an offer. How is that hard to understand? :confused:

You can't apply for the same course at different unis, you can apply for the same subject though?
Also, the competitiveness of one degree course at one uni will be different to the competitiveness of the same subject degree course at another uni...
Reply 15
Original post by jhgjhgg
That may very well be the case. I finished my A Levels in 2010, so I am a bit out of date, haha.

Yes, have a look at apprenticeships as a backup. Clearing is also good, you can always apply for your preferred universities for a masters, the competition is less competitive the higher up you go. It is much easier to get into say LSE for a masters degree than it is for an undergraduate degree, though both are not a walk in the park, you still need to have decent grades and a good CV.

Did you look at my recent posts and find out where my firm was or was it a coincidence that you chose LSE as an example??:h:
Original post by Inker
You can't apply for the same course at different unis, you can apply for the same subject though?
Also, the competitiveness of one degree course at one uni will be different to the competitiveness of the same subject degree course at another uni...

course = subject.

And yes, unless it's medicine :lol:
Original post by Inker

Anyways in regards to your query , you should try and do ur absolute best since if u resit it would be easier to boost your grades. Don't lose hope and give up.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by TSR Mustafa
You cant be serious?

Yeah I'm serious, they wouldn't have the same content would they?
Original post by TSR Mustafa
You cant be serious?

I'm thinking either troll, or genuinely unintelligent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending