The Student Room Group

Edexcel paper 2 chem unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
considering a A was 69% for the As last year and the intelligence of people sitting the exam hasn't changed id predict a 80% A*
For the 24 DNPH I.made a silly mistake.It and assumed you know which Sample had what compounds, but then I proceed with the question the way you did.Do I lose a mark?
Were you means to say unknown Sample?
Original post by ChloeClow
i got 94.2% for the paracetamol question...

Mr was 151, remember number of moles?
was it like 3.1*10^-3
Original post by bobby147
For the 24 DNPH I.made a silly mistake.It and assumed you know which Sample had what compounds, but then I proceed with the question the way you did.Do I lose a mark?
Were you means to say unknown Sample?

Depends entirely on your wording, im afraid i dont know, you may lose a mark but it doesnt sound likely
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Mr was 151, remember number of moles?
was it like 3.1*10^-3

oh no.. i got 152 for molar mass... my bad :frown: Do you think I'll get ecf marks or something?
(edited 6 years ago)
oh no.. i got 152 for molar mass... my bad :frown: Do you think I'll get elf marks or something?

Maybe 1 working mark out of 2
Original post by hc__
Okay I have no idea what was going through my mind but for the 2,4-DNPH question I said react them with potassium dichromate to oxidise them and then mix with 2,4-DNPH - if an orange precipitate forms then it is a Kentone and if it doesn't then it was an aldehyde but has been oxidised to a carboxylic acid which doesn't form the precipitate ... is that complelty wrong?

Yes it is quite wrong, it wanted you to get at the fact that we can identify 2,4 dnph derivatives by measuring mp and comparing with data book
i got 94.2% for the paracetamol question...

I got the same

ahhh i see where i did wrong now
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by otter.sty
I got the same

oh no.. i got 152 for molar mass... my bad :frown: Do you think I'll get ecf marks or something?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=paracetomal+molar+mass&oq=paracetomal+molar+mass&aqs=chrome..69i57.2931j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Paracetemols molar mass is 151, number of moles was? i cant remember

Your answer is correct, I also got 93.62%.
They either got the Mr wrong or probably forgot mg means you times by 10^-3.
Original post by bobby147
Your answer is correct, I also got 93.62%.
They either got the Mr wrong or probably forgot mg means you times by 10^-3.

Thanks for support! thought i did something silly there
what was the bromine concentration question? (I don't remember it and now i think i may have missed out an entire question)
Organic synthesis- conc no3, conc h2so4 goes to nitrobenzene then add tin and conc hcl to phenylamine then add ethanoyl chloride ( with no halogen carrier) to desired product
Ea was 84000 nearabouts joules, and divide for kj
mass of nitrogen was 21.97
Orders were x-1 y-2 z-0 k was 241.11
Diff proton nmr, one had 5 one had 4 intensity was like 3 to 2 to 2 to 1 and 1 to 2 to 2 to 2 to 1
find chemical shifts from data booklet and state splitting patterns
24 DNPH derivates, orange crystalline forms, recrystallise ppt, find mp using capillary tube method- compare with database of known bradys reagent derivatives
catalyst was adsrorbption, bond weakening then desrorption- explain those terms
graphie and graphene was single layer of hexagons, bond angle 120 and poor electrical conductivity was answer
reforming equation was just make cyclic and balance with hydrogen
2NO+2CO---2co2 +N2 was an answer
conc of bromine was 0.255
paracetomal percent was 93.6

Are you definitely sure about the proton nmr? In the new spec paper 2 there's a question on completing a nmr spectrum and it gives you the benzene hydrogens as a single peak with intensity 5... For for phenylethanal I got 3 peaks 5 to 2 to 1 singlet to doublet to triplet and for phenylethanone I got 5 to 3 singlet to singlet... anyone else?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lizzie1414
what was the bromine concentration question? (I don't remember it and now i think i may have missed out an entire question)

Gave us rate equation, some concs and k and said to find br conc
Original post by Hazzagriff
Are you definitely sure about the proton nmr? In the new spec paper 2 there's a question on completing a nmr spectrum and it gives you the benzene hydrogens as a single peak with intensity 5... For for phenylethanal I got two peaks 5:2:1 singlet:double:triplet and for phenylethanone I got 5:3 singlet:singlet... anyone else?

In benzene they are all in the same environment, when you add a group they become in different environments as they are differnt distances from the group which affects them.
IMG_1796.jpg
In benzene they are all in the same environment, when you add a group they become in different environments as they are differnt distances from the group which affects them.

Can you explain this? Not saying you're wrong I just don't know
Reply 36

mass of nitrogen was 21.97

Was the mass of nitrogen in grams or kg?
Original post by MaxA2C
Was the mass of nitrogen in grams or kg?

Grams i think
Reply 38
Grams i think

ah, because I got 1000x your answer haha because the units given were Kpa so I multiplied by 1000
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hazzagriff
IMG_1796.jpg

Can you explain this? Not saying you're wrong I just don't know

They are technically in different hydrogen environments but the difference is insignificant and they overlap so we can consider them to be the same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending