The Student Room Group

Edexcel B3 unofficial markscheme 19th June 2017

Scroll to see replies

And it was 25% the Punnett square is referencing all genders, not just the male. You had to interpret the q as 'what's the chance of the offspring being a male with haemophilia' so u have to consider all 4 options
Original post by stephen1011
50% is the correct answer, as we are assuming that the sex was male, the chance of inheritence is 50% rather than 25%.

The question was about the probability of the offsprings who inherit the disease. Not the probability of getting male offsprings. Also the diease is found on the X chromosome not Y.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't be surprised if both 48 and 24 are accepted, the question was not the best worded.
Original post by Zainyg
what was the 3 mark calculation?

The answer was 24
Original post by jashab14
Everyone in my school got 24 but to be honest, they didn't make it clear as to whether the 0.925% and 0.625% was of the entire 16,000 or out of the two 8,000 groups

IF you read the top of the question it said two groups of 16,000 split equally this means 8,000 each
Original post by Aaron jhooty
I wouldn't be surprised if both 48 and 24 are accepted, the question was not the best worded.

It was 24, you'll get 2/3 for putting 48, but the question clearly stated the groups were split into two.
Original post by Olivia2442
What did people get for the punnett square question?

I originally got 25% but it said the chance of having a 'boy with haemophilia' which was 50%. One boy with no traces of it and one boy with it.
Reply 67
Original post by Schoolstudent01
I got 48 people

I used the total to work out the percentage of the total and got 100 or one and 148 for the other. 148-100= 48

Did anyone else do this?

exactly what I did, pretty sure its right as the numbers work well.
Reply 68
Original post by dd897
Here is the long awaited markscheme. I think the grade boundaries will be pretty low but overall I think personally I did okay Please remember you can bring up your grade with the other exams and don’t worry if you get wrong answers! Feel free to add to the markscheme below as I can’t remember all the questions. Good luck! :redface:

1a. Species 1 because the nectar is at the top

1b. Option D

1c. Co-evolution: As one species evolves the other devolves so moth becomes deformed so its proboscis shrinks so co-evolution benefits the orchid, not the moth

2a. Dominant allele = Male Recessive allele = Female OR Isotope monitor

Classical conditioning

Put a flag in front of horse to habituate it

38 HIV

Vegetarian cheese à use restriction enzyme to combine milk together to make it yellow and clot to form cheese and then put it into a fermenter

Lactose free-milk à Normal milk + sieve + barium nitrate, so lactose is extracted. Include conditions of pH, temperature and contamination

Nice troll mark scheme
I Got 240 because I divided wrong . Do you reckon I will still get 2 out of the 3 marks?
Its 24 because if you do do it over 16000, it wont make sense as it clearly states its divided into separate groups
Guys i got the multiplication wrong at got 240 instead of 24 do you reckon I will still get 2 out of 3 marks
Original post by Ganesh Nair
are you sure because I put 25%, others are saying 50%

i'm sure
Original post by dd897
Here is the long awaited markscheme. I think the grade boundaries will be pretty low but overall I think personally I did okay Please remember you can bring up your grade with the other exams and don’t worry if you get wrong answers! Feel free to add to the markscheme below as I can’t remember all the questions. Good luck! :redface:

1a. Species 1 because the nectar is at the top

1b. Option D

1c. Co-evolution: As one species evolves the other devolves so moth becomes deformed so its proboscis shrinks so co-evolution benefits the orchid, not the moth

2a. Dominant allele = Male Recessive allele = Female OR Isotope monitor

Classical conditioning

Put a flag in front of horse to habituate it

38 HIV

Vegetarian cheese à use restriction enzyme to combine milk together to make it yellow and clot to form cheese and then put it into a fermenter

Lactose free-milk à Normal milk + sieve + barium nitrate, so lactose is extracted. Include conditions of pH, temperature and contamination

This is a joke right?
Original post by agi2
its 50% because it was only to do with the male not male and female
i put 25% though :/

It is 25%, you want the chance of having a male with the disease, there are 4 possibilities having a girl is still a possibility you don't assume the offspring is a boy, this has never been the case with GCSE punnet square questions.
Original post by Yateschloe00
I originally got 25% but it said the chance of having a 'boy with haemophilia' which was 50%. One boy with no traces of it and one boy with it.

You still have the possibility of having a girl, the question asked for a boy with the disease, as a result it is out of all possibilities which is 25%. You can't assume it will be a boy. You can check past papers, you never calculate chances out of two possibilities when there are 4 unless stated, which it didn't.
Original post by stephen1011
mate, it says the expirement is split in half between 16000 people; so its 8000 each.

Damn I didn't see that part, ive failed so bad
Reply 77
What did you guys say about the butterflies laying eggs under the leaves???
Reply 78
Original post by RHIgnis
What did you guys say about the butterflies laying eggs under the leaves???

Less predators will soot the eggs and so it is less likely to be eaten thus increasing its chance of survival
What did u guys put for the transgenic question, I said:
Restriction enzyme
Ligases enzyme
Sticky ends
Vector
Infects plant so DNA incorporated into plant
I also mentioned crown galls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending