The Student Room Group

Mum wants/forcing me to take the hijab off - help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by butfirst_coffee
Stay strong OP sister.

The more you struggle in the way of Allah (swt) the more reward there will be. Think of it as a blessing that he places burden on you so that you may seek nearness to him.

It has, I'll continue to make sure they'll understand
Original post by T134O2L5E6
I'm guessing if you went back to the country your parents/grandparents/great grandparents came from you would have no choice but to wear it. So take it of as a sign of your liberation.

But ultimately its your choice so do what you want.

Hmm not really, I come from an Egyptian background and I go there 2-3 times every year, you're not obliged to wear it there, and many see the hijab only relevant at an older age, after getting married.
I would be as 'liberated' there as I am here, thank you though
Reply 62
ok first of all astagfirullah u've had boyfriends and second of all wearing the hijab isn't about modesty ur right. It's a commitment you make to yourself and to Allah. A sign of piety. The word Hijab literally means a curtain or veil and is best understood by exploring the Islamic concept of modesty. Muslim men and women are required to be modest while mingling with unrelated members of the opposite gender. The content of our speech, the way we communicate, the way we laugh and joke around, our behavior and social etiquette in general should all be transmitted to the other party in a way that attracts the least amount of the wrong form of attention. Additionally, we are required to “lower our gazes” and respect other men or women by not eying them from head to toe (i.e. checking them out). Similarly, the physical Hijab establishes healthy distances of physical contact (not even a handshake with the opposite gender!). Lastly, this modesty must also be manifested in the way we dress.In order to appear modest, Muslim women are required by their faith to observe the most visible form of the Hijab in public the headscarf to cover our hair and full-length clothing to conceal the shape of our bodies. Non-Muslims often ponder how it is possible and why a woman would ever voluntarily want to conceal what every other woman takes pride in revealing her beauty. From a very long list, presented below are the most common reasons why Muslim women observe the Hijab.Muslims recognize God Almighty as the grand creator and supreme authority over the universe, and hence the religion He has sent Islam is a complete way of life for us. Accordingly, Divine law is followed at all times, and submitting to God’s commandments is in itself a form of worship. After telling Muslim men to lower their gazes, the Holy Qur’an reminds women: “And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that they should not display their beauty and ornaments, except what (ordinarily) appear thereof.” (24:31) In line with this Qur’anic verse, we do not display our beauty simply because it is the command of our Lord!Since the beginning of time, women have always been exploited. Known for our gentleness, delicateness, and beauty, women are often used as mere objects to attract men or sell products and services. Unfortunately, today a woman’s physical beauty is likened to a man’s trophy, to be shown off to the whole world. In an interview with former rapper “Napoleon” from Tupac Shakur’s band, the OutLawz, revert Mutah Beale said, “The music industry is where they really exploit and degrade women. We’d pay them a hundred bucks to strip for our music videos, and they’d do it!” Sadly, women have become well accustomed to this routine and also take pride in displaying their beauty. But what Muslim women realize is that our beauty is sacred and certainly not for any random man to gawk at for pleasure.All human beings demand respect, and why should we women be treated as mere objects valued or devalued for our beauty or the lack thereof? Why should we let all random and strange men (whether we are friends with them or not) be the judges of our attractiveness? Shouldn’t we preserve ourselves for only those who deserve us?Sorry I know this is long.. but I just wanted to explain the reality of wearing the hijab. I mean look what they have done in France they've banned the burqa. If you are a true Muslim (pray, fast etc...) then your commitment is done. In my region we don't show our hair to our dad or brothers.Lecturer at Newman University.
Exactly! I feel like North African culture is the reason why they're thinking in that way, the whole "being feminine" aspect of like dress and makeup and relationships. A lot of girls who don't wear it are more religious than the ones who do, it's mainly the cultural aspect tbf
Original post by yasmeen98
coming from a north african background myself i've experienced people telling me that i'm too young or as a teenage girl i should be dressing up doing my hair "living my life" (i wore it when i was 12) but i think it's just a north african thing. like half the girls in algeria don't wear it but it doesn't make them not religious and the ones that do aren't the most religious either. living your life and obeying and worshipping god aren't mutually exclusive and you should explain to your mum that it's your choice and that our culture doesn't beat religion
Original post by Anonymous
Hmm not really, I come from an Egyptian background and I go there 2-3 times every year, you're not obliged to wear it there, and many see the hijab only relevant at an older age, after getting married.
I would be as 'liberated' there as I am here, thank you though

Yeah I understand, so in Egypt women only become the property of their husband after marriage.

Anyway glad I could help and I hope you make a decision your comfortable with!
Yeah I understand, so in Egypt women only become the property of their husband after marriage.

No they do not become 'property of their husband.' We are not objects.
No they do not become 'property of their husband.' We are not objects.

Of course not. In the western (christian) world everyone is free to do as they want and not be covered up by their husbands.

But as we are a free country if you want to wear a hijab over your head that's your prerogative
erm, yeah I have before, but surely everyone makes mistakes? I've repented and inshallah Allah forgives me. And I loved your explanation of the hijab! Yes women do get exploited, and yes the hijab does help to restrain ones actions, but I also respect the fact that some may disagree with the he concept of the hijab and that's perfectly fine, some people don't respect it when they wear it and make it totally meaningless, it's also very hard to wear I agree, there's many moments which I've wished to go out with my hair, but it's all for Allah at the end of day, thank you.
Original post by somad
ok first of all astagfirullah u've had boyfriends and second of all wearing the hijab isn't about modesty ur right. It's a commitment you make to yourself and to Allah. A sign of piety. The word Hijab literally means a curtain or veil and is best understood by exploring the Islamic concept of modesty. Muslim men and women are required to be modest while mingling with unrelated members of the opposite gender. The content of our speech, the way we communicate, the way we laugh and joke around, our behavior and social etiquette in general should all be transmitted to the other party in a way that attracts the least amount of the wrong form of attention. Additionally, we are required to “lower our gazes” and respect other men or women by not eying them from head to toe (i.e. checking them out). Similarly, the physical Hijab establishes healthy distances of physical contact (not even a handshake with the opposite gender!). Lastly, this modesty must also be manifested in the way we dress.In order to appear modest, Muslim women are required by their faith to observe the most visible form of the Hijab in public the headscarf to cover our hair and full-length clothing to conceal the shape of our bodies. Non-Muslims often ponder how it is possible and why a woman would ever voluntarily want to conceal what every other woman takes pride in revealing her beauty. From a very long list, presented below are the most common reasons why Muslim women observe the Hijab.Muslims recognize God Almighty as the grand creator and supreme authority over the universe, and hence the religion He has sent Islam is a complete way of life for us. Accordingly, Divine law is followed at all times, and submitting to God’s commandments is in itself a form of worship. After telling Muslim men to lower their gazes, the Holy Qur’an reminds women: “And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that they should not display their beauty and ornaments, except what (ordinarily) appear thereof.” (24:31) In line with this Qur’anic verse, we do not display our beauty simply because it is the command of our Lord!Since the beginning of time, women have always been exploited. Known for our gentleness, delicateness, and beauty, women are often used as mere objects to attract men or sell products and services. Unfortunately, today a woman’s physical beauty is likened to a man’s trophy, to be shown off to the whole world. In an interview with former rapper “Napoleon” from Tupac Shakur’s band, the OutLawz, revert Mutah Beale said, “The music industry is where they really exploit and degrade women. We’d pay them a hundred bucks to strip for our music videos, and they’d do it!” Sadly, women have become well accustomed to this routine and also take pride in displaying their beauty. But what Muslim women realize is that our beauty is sacred and certainly not for any random man to gawk at for pleasure.All human beings demand respect, and why should we women be treated as mere objects valued or devalued for our beauty or the lack thereof? Why should we let all random and strange men (whether we are friends with them or not) be the judges of our attractiveness? Shouldn’t we preserve ourselves for only those who deserve us?Sorry I know this is long.. but I just wanted to explain the reality of wearing the hijab. I mean look what they have done in France they've banned the burqa. If you are a true Muslim (pray, fast etc...) then your commitment is done. In my region we don't show our hair to our dad or brothers.Lecturer at Newman University.
erm, yeah I have before, but surely everyone makes mistakes? I've repented and inshallah Allah forgives me. And I loved your explanation of the hijab! Yes women do get exploited, and yes the hijab does help to restrain ones actions, but I also respect the fact that some may disagree with the he concept of the hijab and that's perfectly fine, some people don't respect it when they wear it and make it totally meaningless, it's also very hard to wear I agree, there's many moments which I've wished to go out with my hair, but it's all for Allah at the end of day, thank you.

Great going sis. Ignore Anon's judgemental remark. God is our only judge and you have repented to him already.

And @somad drop the arrogance.
(edited 6 years ago)
Of course not. In the western (christian) world everyone is free to do as they want and not be covered up by their husbands.

But as we are a free country if you want to wear a blanket over your head that's your prerogative

Our husbands don't 'cover us up' it's women choose when they would like to wear it (in Egypt) and in fact many take it off after they get married. It's all to do with the person and they way they have been brought up. But certainly speaking in North African countries there is no obligation for a woman to wear the hijab, in fact there has been a rise in the decrease of women wearing the hijab in those countries as a sign of them becoming more "modern"
It's just that some women find it appropriate to wear it after marriage, not all.

But as we are a free country if you want to wear a blanket over your head that's your prerogative

We are not covered up by our husbands. We cover up to obey our God.

Yes that is our business indeed. Glad you got the idea.

can you not
We are not covered up by our husbands. We cover up to obey our God.

Yes that is our business indeed. Glad you got the idea.

If that's what you believe then fair enough as I'm sure you would know far more than me considering you would have studied the history of Islamic men's attitude towards women far more than I have.
Reply 73
Thank you, she does wear it and she's much more religious than me. Like me and her have differences over stuff written in the Qu'ran and stuff and the way Islam is interpreted and stuff. Thank you so much, I'll try and convince her but the problem is I don't know how

to

Im here ifyou wanna pm :smile:
Original post by usualsuspects
Take it off and be proud of your mum.

Complete load of ****.Her mum shouldn't force her to remove her hijab if she wants to wear it. If the title was my mum forces me to wear the hijab,you wouldn't be on the mum's side and you know it.
Why don't you stop letting your anti-Islam feelings cloud your thinking and for once in your damn life try to not to be objective and actually give sound consistent advice,you hypocrite.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ClearSky
I would recommend spelling classes. There are some good ones out there, you know.

Lol, got me there
Original post by Thomazo
Lol, got me there

:colone:
Reply 77
Original post by bobby147
Complete load of ****.Her mum shouldn't force her to remove her hijab if she wants to wear it. If the title was my mum forces me to wear the hijab,you wouldn't be on the mum's side and you know it.
Why don't you stop letting your anti-Islam feelings cloud your thinking and for once in your damn life try to not to be objective and actually give sound consistent advice,you hypocrite.

I would be a hypocrite if I had advised her to keep it on: I'm against the scarf thing and therefore would always suggest to avoid it, and I'm fond of moderate Muslims who understand it's not necessary.

Her mum isn't forcing her to remove it, she is pressuring her. It's normal for parents of minors to do this. I think imposing religious clothing on someone is worse than pressuring someone to take them off. It's only obvious that I'm on the mum's side when her behaviour is positive. I would agree with a parent forcing a child to eat fruit and vegetables, but would oppose them forcing them to eat junk food.
Reply 78
Like others have said, obedience to Allah comes first and before anyone else.

Your mum will get used to it in time inshAllah.

In the meantime do not behave rudely to her otherwise it'll put her off even more.

This thread managed to last a while without getting political somehow.

I will point out that the subservience of women to their husbands is rather consistent between the Abrahamic faiths though the tendency is to portray the faiths as socially liberal, which I most definitely disagree with. The Abrahamic faiths collectively, are remarkably socially conservative and do reflect "traditional" values.

Anyway, this kind of detracts from the OP. You will not find fulfilling debate here, you will likely just be harassed and jeered at, so it'd be best to take remarks such as this to the Faith & Spirituality or Religion sub, instead of posting on an advice thread, where the OP does not seek debate :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending