The Student Room Group

What to eat to increase hemoglobin?

Any ideas? My levels are kinda low : < I've done some research but they've mostly listed things that I don't eat - stuff like meat (I'm a vegetarian! :smile: ), raisins, almonds (hate them...), seafood - WHICH IS STILL MEAT why would they even ehhh......
So, any recommendations?

Scroll to see replies

the only thing i know about haemoglobin is oxygen dissociation curves lol :colone:
Original post by Ciel.
Any ideas? My levels are kinda low : < I've done some research but they've mostly listed things that I don't eat - stuff like meat (I'm a vegetarian! :smile: ), raisins, almonds (hate them...), seafood - WHICH IS STILL MEAT why would they even ehhh......
So, any recommendations?

Purple coloured foods such as beetroot is a good option, cherries and raspberries are also good.
Reply 3
Original post by Ciel.
So, any recommendations?

You can't really get haemoglobin from food.
Haemoglobin is made up of haem groups which contain iron, so I think they are referring to your iron levels.

You could try taking iron supplements, which can be bought in most health and beauty stores.

Meat does have a lot of iron in it, so that is probably one of your main issues. You can try finding meat substitutes that have additional iron in them.

Dark greens are pretty good, and easy to add to food without tasting it. Same goes for different types of beans.

If you're quite a fussy eater, I think it would be best to consider iron supplements, but just discuss it with your doctor.
Reply 4
Original post by dokimei
You can't really get haemoglobin from food.
Haemoglobin is made up of haem groups which contain iron, so I think they are referring to your iron levels.

You could try taking iron supplements, which can be bought in most health and beauty stores.

Meat does have a lot of iron in it, so that is probably one of your main issues. You can try finding meat substitutes that have additional iron in them.

Dark greens are pretty good, and easy to add to food without tasting it. Same goes for different types of beans.

If you're quite a fussy eater, I think it would be best to consider iron supplements, but just discuss it with your doctor.

No, I don't mean my iron levels. My iron levels are quite high now, almost exceeding the max range actually (they used to be really low like a year ago but now increased). It's just my hemoglobin levels that are low.
I would like to help but I don't know what that is...

*fades*
Original post by Ciel.
[]

its in a level biology haemoglobin is how oxygen is transported around our body
Original post by redwolf6504
its in a level biology haemoglobin is how oxygen is transported around our body

Thank you thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Ciel.
No, I don't mean my iron levels. My iron levels are quite high now, almost exceeding the max range actually (they used to be really low like a year ago but now increased). It's just my hemoglobin levels that are low.

My advice still stands.

You can't get haemoglobin from food, because that's the majority of a red blood cell.

It's all about iron intake, which is why you were suggested those foods. Haemoglobin has major iron groups in it, and that is how it is made.

You need to intake more iron and beneficial vitamins in order to synthesise more haemoglobin. You can't ingest haemoglobin, you have to produce it.
Reply 9
Original post by GUMI
****ing weebs

****ing high five
Spinich and broccoli are a vegetarian girls best friend! :wink:

or boy ofc
Reply 11
Original post by dokimei
My advice still stands.

You can't get haemoglobin from food, because that's the majority of a red blood cell.

It's all about iron intake, which is why you were suggested those foods. Haemoglobin has major iron groups in it, and that is how it is made.

You need to intake more iron and beneficial vitamins in order to synthesise more haemoglobin. You can't ingest haemoglobin, you have to produce it.

Yeah I understand that you can't get it from food, what I meant was what will help my body produce more of it. I've so much iron in my body already, though. But it's like, somehow, it doesn't seem to be helping
Nothing.

Haemoglobin is produced from red blood cells. If your body is like mine and only chucks out a measly number of red blood cells, you're not going to get a lot of haemoglobin out of it. Increasing your iron intake will help get more juice out of a low blood cell count, but won't create more blood cells.

Best source of iron is in red meat, so bin that faddy vegan / vegetarian diet.
Reply 13
Original post by Ciel.
****ing high five

My post is "being reviewed" whatever that implies. feelsbadman
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Nothing.

Haemoglobin is produced from red blood cells. If your body is like mine and only chucks out a measly number of red blood cells, you're not going to get a lot of haemoglobin out of it. Increasing your iron intake will help get more juice out of a low blood cell count, but won't create more blood cells.

Best source of iron is in red meat, so bin that faddy vegan / vegetarian diet.

Nooo I can't : < my hemoglobin was always fine, not sure what happened to it now ehh - like I have old blood tests to compare... and it was never like that

Original post by GUMI
My post is "being reviewed" whatever that implies. feelsbadman

Pretty sure it's because you quoted mine! My anime gif is being reviewed too : < probably because it said the f word, and was uncensored. Oh well, don't worry about it, they will just delete both our posts
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Ciel.

Pretty sure it's because you quoted mine! My anime gif is being reviewed too : < probably because it said the f word, and was uncensored. Oh well, don't worry about it, they will just delete both our posts

Rip in pieces
Green lentils!
a block of iron, probably
Not sure about Haemoglobin but one thing that makes you produce more blood of all kinds is Steroids :K: your doctor might prescribe you some if your levels fall dangerously low
Reply 19
As you age, the body needs better more bioavailable food, and one of the most bioavailable protein, for producing red blood cells, as well as better hair and skin, is beef based. I liked how this article talked about it: http://humancure.com/vegan-vs-meat-eaters-is-there-really-a-right-way-to-eat/

If you choose to be vegetarian despite knowing the only way to increase and resolve it is by breaking the lifestyle, then you need to understand, there could be more health problems for you in the near future (more than usual) as it seems your body is asking this from you.

I personally also like vegetarian diets and feel they keep me mentally stable - but when I need to heal from something, I still will eat beef, and bone soup and such. I can feel the difference very fast. You just have to create the right balance.

Quick Reply

Latest