The Student Room Group

Edexcel Music A-Level Predictions?

Currently doing the last year of the old syllabus. Anyone got any predictions as to what set works will come up? :smile:
Original post by musicgeogecon
Currently doing the last year of the old syllabus. Anyone got any predictions as to what set works will come up? :smile:

Hi am also doing the same
It's hard to tell because there is only one paper too look at but possible for the applied set works: Morse on the case and Pulcinella (possibly), as they are the only 2 that didn't come up last time.
For the instrumental possibly, Cage Piano Sonatas as it hasn't come up yet at all but not sure on the others at all as they all came up. Almost all of them will come up but I'm not sure in what context.
Look at the June 2012 paper as that is the last time they all came up.

Hope that helps! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm fairly certain Cage will come up and maybe Pheloung?? who knows! Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Do you recon we could be asked about Passport to Pimlico's influence of jazz and circus music?
Original post by Happianni
Hi am also doing the same
It's hard to tell because there is only one paper too look at but possible for the applied set works: Morse on the case and Pulcinella (possibly), as they are the only 2 that didn't come up last time.
For the instrumental possibly, Cage Piano Sonatas as it hasn't come up yet at all but not sure on the others at all as they all came up. Almost all of them will come up but I'm not sure in what context.
Look at the June 2012 paper as that is the last time they all came up.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Thank you :smile: absolutely dreading it!! best of luck xxx
Original post by freyam
Do you recon we could be asked about Passport to Pimlico's influence of jazz and circus music?

Yes possibly, however it came up last time these set works were asked and is unlikely to come up again. Wouldn't leave it out though as it is a good set work to talk about.
How did people find it? Found the listening weird! Was it a viola or a cello for he first question? I found the essays good but listening not great
Reply 7
Original post by chrissie0081
How did people find it? Found the listening weird! Was it a viola or a cello for he first question? I found the essays good but listening not great

Pretty sure it was a cello.

Yeah the essays were kind :smile:
Who was the composer for the comparison listening? Put down Stravinsky (and so 1930) but I really wasn't sure.
Reply 9
Original post by JayAustinKeys
Who was the composer for the comparison listening? Put down Stravinsky (and so 1930) but I really wasn't sure.

Yeah, it was Symphony of Psalms by Stravinsky (1930), nice one mate. I did 1910 Stravinsky :L
Original post by hogree
Yeah, it was Symphony of Psalms by Stravinsky (1930), nice one mate. I did 1910 Stravinsky :L

Love a bit of luck! Cheers man. Wow, that's harsh of them to put 2 possible dates, I swear there's usually only 1 choice that basically fits into their lifespan.
I thought it was a viola, a bit high for a cello
Reply 12
Original post by JayAustinKeys
Love a bit of luck! Cheers man. Wow, that's harsh of them to put 2 possible dates, I swear there's usually only 1 choice that basically fits into their lifespan.

Yeah I think this time it's cuz they knew we studied Pulcinella and should have learned the history. So with a bit of education should have spotted it wasn't one of Stravinskys wilder works but more neo classical i.e later in his life. Didn't click at the time though.

I thought it was a viola, a bit high for a cello

Apparently there's no violas in Symphony of Psalms so :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hogree
Yeah I think this time it's cuz they knew we studied Pulcinella and should have learned the history. So with a bit of education should have spotted it wasn't one of Stravinskys wilder works but more neo classical i.e later in his life. Didn't click at the time though.

Apparently there's no violas in Symphony of Psalms so :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh that's fair if you knew what the piece was. Overall think the question was a little harsh as we shouldn't have to know much background at for a listen question I don't think (unless I've been taught wrong :') )
Reply 14
Yeh that's fair if you knew what the piece was. Overall think the question was a little harsh as we shouldn't have to know much background at for a listen question I don't think (unless I've been taught wrong :':wink: )

Yeah, a little bit tough on the dates I thought. Tbh, I didn't know it was Symphony of psalms, someone else found it afterwards.
Thoughts on aural awareness composer?
Reply 16
Original post by EthanFuture
Thoughts on aural awareness composer?

It was Schubert - 9:23 here https://youtu.be/WM8jstSc_VA

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did people put for the chords used and the keys and cadences? Dunno why but my mind just completely blanked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending