The Student Room Group

What's Likely To Appear In AQA Graphics Exam? - Let's Chat

This poll is closed

Are you ready for this Exam? (AQA Graphics)

Yes of course! 7%
I hope so.. 67%
Not at all!27%
Total votes: 15
Hey all!
As some of you may know, those taking the exam, there's the AQA Graphics Exam coming up this Tuesday (20th June 2017). Are we all ready? I'm getting there, but I thought I'd create this thread for us all to share what we think will likely come up in this years Graphic Exam!

Design Theme: Self-Assembly Decoration for a Special Event
This could include:
- Wedding
- Easter
- Christmas
- Birthdays, etc

I believe there are likely to be questions asking about..:
- Productions/ Processes (One-Off, Batch, Mass, Continuous, Just-In-Time(JIT))
- Printing (Screen/Block/Photocopying Printing, Letterpress Printing, Flexography, Lithography, Gravure)
- The '6 Rs' (Recycle, Reduce, Refuse, Repair, Rethink, Reuse)
- The Colour Wheel (What colour conveys & means, Primary & Secondary, mixing colour)
- Quality Control (Quality Assurance, Weight, Visual, Temperature.. and a load more)
- Printing Marks (Registration Marks, Colour Marks, Crop Marks)
- Finishing Processes (Foil Blocking, Embossing, Laminating, Varnishing)

Hope this helps,
Let me know what you all think, add to the list!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey have you got any sites that you could recommend to revise AQA Graphics? Please reply with a link! Thanks.
Reply 2
Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard last year's paper didn't have any question about Designers? That might come up
I've looked at the past papers from 2013 - 2016 and there seems to only be one question on printing processes - and it wasn't answered well. So my prediction is that there will be a question on a printing process such as off-set lithography or flexography - if not a whole section.

As for section A, my prediction is that it will be on an event that is likely to not have a very close and personal meaning to many people - ruling out birthdays and Christmases. This is because not everyone celebrates religious holidays and if they do, they mean a lot of different things to different people which would make the papers a nightmare to mark. So I think it will be on something like New Year, Chinese New Year etc as IMO, these do not apply to just one group but to everyone.

I also think it is likely that CAD/CAM pros and cons and anything else to do with that topic will come up as it is very broad therefore making it good for an 8 marker. Hopefully there will be more tick box questions as timing is always tight on these exams.

I agree that there will probably also be a question on a designer; the ones in the spec are Harry Beck, Alberto Alessi, Jock Kinnier and Margaret Calvert, Wally Olins and Robert Sabuda. Strangely though only Harry Beck Alberto Alessi and Jock Kinnier and Maragaret Calvert seem to be covered by the revision guides and in class

Hope this helps :smile:
do you know the time off the exam?
Original post by ben_247
13:00 (1pm), but check with others in your class as it may vary by half an hour, from school to school.

Mines at 13:30 so others may be at that time.
Original post by Geneee
Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard last year's paper didn't have any question about Designers? That might come up

Maybe Alberto Alessi or Margaret Calvert will come up.
Is anyone else really stressing out about this exam? :frown:
Reply 8
seriously I'm afraid they can't read my words...
Reply 9
I got an A* in my CW, does that mean I need a D in the exam to get a B overall?
Reply 10
Also could someone explain to me how flexography, gravure and dye cutting works please??
Original post by rektgg
I got an A* in my CW, does that mean I need a D in the exam to get a B overall?

It depends on your actual mark converted to USM and then this years UMS and grade boundaries but I compared mine to last years, and I think I'd need 16-20 marks for a C and 30-40 for a B so for a B it'd be around the D/E grade I'd say.
Do people think 84/90 in coursework is an A or A*. I'm hoping for an A* overall.
Original post by Harrison.B 15
Do people think 84/90 in coursework is an A or A*. I'm hoping for an A* overall.

Last year the grade boundaries were 84/90 and onwards was an A*, so hopefully its the same or higher this year but it doesn't necessarily matter as if you missed out by one mark, your UMS is what matters which will still be similar.
Reply 14
Original post by rektgg
Also could someone explain to me how flexography, gravure and dye cutting works please??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/design/graphics/mechanismfinishprintrev2.shtml
Reply 15
Well in my CW I got 85 which should be an a*. I want a B minimum overall in the exam. So I should be getting around 40/50 marks??
Original post by rektgg
Well in my CW I got 85 which should be an a*. I want a B minimum overall in the exam. So I should be getting around 40/50 marks??

I got 78 which I believe to be an A and my teacher said that I would need to get around 57 marks for a B.
Do you guys think dimensioning is going to come up?
Reply 18
Just can't wait for this exam to end! Can finally sleep in 😂
This is the only exam I'm slightly looking forward to. A lot of it is just drawing which is relaxing and it's my last exam this year!

Quick Reply

Latest