The Student Room Group

Contact Lenses

In July I have an end of year party, and I would like to wear contact lenses. It would be the first time am ever wearing it and am scared that it won't go down to well. The thing is that since the weather would be hot and on top of that me dancing like a crazy girl. I would need to keep myself hydrated a lot, but I would losing the water to sweat. So that way my eyes won't be that hydrated. Plus a girl ripped her cornea out last year and she was lucky that she wasn't blinded. It would only be for one day and then I would dispose it returning to glasses. Any opinions on this?

Scroll to see replies

She ripped her cornea out? Wtf?! Call the opticians asap and book a contact lense appointment, if you need them soon. I wear glasses at home or when I'm popping out to the shops, otherwise I wear contact lenses. I, and others I know that wear contact lenses, have had nothing but positive experiences. It's a struggle getting them in and out at first, but you get used to it.
Erm, I don't think your contact lenses will stick to your eyes as a result of dehydration (if that's the case, throw some water at your face).

You can get lenses that are oxygenated. Some allow your eye to 'breath' more but they cost a little bit extra. Just don't wear them for too long because I've found they're harder to get off after some time.
Original post by hamzaahmad786
Erm, I don't think your contact lenses will stick to your eyes as a result of dehydration (if that's the case, throw some water at your face).

You can get lenses that are oxygenated. Some allow your eye to 'breath' more but they cost a little bit extra. Just don't wear them for too long because I've found they're harder to get off after some time.

Good one, but then my makeup will all get spoilt and plus I can't throw water at contact lenses because apparently it cause bacteria to come through. Sorry, it's just that I have researched so many things.
Original post by LadyLoony
She ripped her cornea out? Wtf?! Call the opticians asap and book a contact lense appointment, if you need them soon. I wear glasses at home or when I'm popping out to the shops, otherwise I wear contact lenses. I, and others I know that wear contact lenses, have had nothing but positive experiences. It's a struggle getting them in and out at first, but you get used to it.

How long do you leave them in for? Also, is it possible to dance in them? Because last year when I went to the opticians she was like no sports in contact lenses.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
How long do you leave them in for? Also, is it possible to dance in them? Because last year when I went to the opticians she was like no sports in contact lenses.

Yes it's perfectly fine to wear them when you're dancing. You're not meant to wear them for longer than 8 hours unless they're the extended wear ones. So you can wear them for a pretty long time.
Original post by LadyLoony
Yes it's perfectly fine to wear them when you're dancing. You're not meant to wear them for longer than 8 hours unless they're the extended wear ones. So you can wear them for a pretty long time.

I might be wearing it for 12 hours or longer. The reason is because I have to wake up early like 4 or 6 and get ready, plus go to a friends house to get my makeup done, by then I would have put the lenses on, and the party finishes at 6-8 at night.
Contact lenses are great and extremely safe if you take care of them properly , I've worn them for 3 years now and not a single problem. If they get dry you can use eye drops ( just make sure they can be used on contacts ) they may be slightly uncomfortable though if it's your first time ever , I'd suggest getting used to them first.
Make sure you don't use water to wash them before putting them in , very dangerous.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BeccAhhh
Contact lenses are great and extremely safe if you take care of them properly , I've worn them for 3 years now and not a single problem. If they get dry you can use eye drops ( just make sure they can be used on contacts ) they may be slightly uncomfortable though if it's your first time ever , I'd suggest getting used to them first.
Make sure you don't use water to wash them before putting them in , very dangerous.

Thanks.
In July I have an end of year party, and I would like to wear contact lenses. It would be the first time am ever wearing it and am scared that it won't go down to well. The thing is that since the weather would be hot and on top of that me dancing like a crazy girl. I would need to keep myself hydrated a lot, but I would losing the water to sweat. So that way my eyes won't be that hydrated. Plus a girl ripped her cornea out last year and she was lucky that she wasn't blinded. It would only be for one day and then I would dispose it returning to glasses. Any opinions on this?

So long as they're from your optician who shows you how to use them (presumably a daily) and what not, go for it! I go out all the time with mine, I don't drink and usually don't have anything from 6pm to 3am until they give out water. lol

I always wear contacts out and glasses at home, not aware of any issues such as what you mentioned.
I wear contact lenses. I do sports in them and have only ever had two incidents with them (i forgot to take them out when showering)
I leave mine in well over 8 hours.
They just take a little bit of getting used to when putting them in and removing them
Original post by Chichaldo
So long as they're from your optician who shows you how to use them (presumably a daily) and what not, go for it! I go out all the time with mine, I don't drink and usually don't have anything from 6pm to 3am until they give out water. lol

I always wear contacts out and glasses at home, not aware of any issues such as what you mentioned.

Thanks 😊😊😊
Original post by Pugglet
I wear contact lenses. I do sports in them and have only ever had two incidents with them (i forgot to take them out when showering)
I leave mine in well over 8 hours.
They just take a little bit of getting used to when putting them in and removing them

Thanks, looks like I have to get used to it because on the day I will most probably complain about how uncomfortable they are.
Thanks, looks like I have to get used to it because on the day I will most probably complain about how uncomfortable they are.

Its just an odd sensation, putting them in is worse as your natural instinct is to close your eye
Original post by Pugglet
Its just an odd sensation, putting them in is worse as your natural instinct is to close your eye

Exactly, my eyes are fine I just don't won't the lenses to do anything to my eye.
Exactly, my eyes are fine I just don't won't the lenses to do anything to my eye.

As long as you don't scratch the top of your eye when removing them (which is what I did when i forgot I had them in and got shampoo in my eye) then youll be fine
Original post by Pugglet
As long as you don't scratch the top of your eye when removing them (which is what I did when i forgot I had them in and got shampoo in my eye) then youll be fine

I should just gently remove it then. I will slide the lenses off at the bottom and take them out.
I should just gently remove it then. I will slide the lenses off at the bottom and take them out.

Thats exactly what to do
Original post by Pugglet
Thats exactly what to do

Thanks 😊😊😊
Good one, but then my makeup will all get spoilt and plus I can't throw water at contact lenses because apparently it cause bacteria to come through. Sorry, it's just that I have researched so many things.

Moisturizing eye drops should help.

I wear contacts sometimes, if they are the right fit and you use them right there is a very little (almost zero) chance of something going wrong. I suggest you book an appointment soon because you need to get used to the lenses, otherwise it gonna bother the hell out of you during the dance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending