The Student Room Group

Vehicle collides with pedestrians in London Finsbury Park

Scroll to see replies

Someone has probably pointed this out earlier in the thread, but since people still seem to be arguing about it: the difference in reporting (if, indeed, there is a significant difference) between this attack and other recent ones has nothing to do with the race, religion or ideology of the suspects. It is simply because this is the only instance out of the four attacks in Britain this year where the suspect is alive and will stand trial. Because of this, there are strict laws about how the media can report the incident in order to avoid prejudicing the jury.
Original post by zezno
People haven't blocked that **** QE2 yet? Just do it, trust me, he's a clown

For what? If he hasn't broken TSR rules then he won't be banned. You can't just try to get someone banned because you disagree with them.
Reply 442
This was as a result of islamophobes spreading this rhetoric that all muslims have a link to islamist terrorist attacks. And what's more hilarious is seeing the frequent TSR islamophobe losers with no lives scrambling and trying to change the rhetoric. Im not even going to bother conversing with those tools, they know who they are.
Original post by Trapz99
Number of Islamophobic attacks in the UK per year:
3.5*365 = 1277

(Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/News/uk/crime/london-bridge-attack-latest-rise-islamophobic-hate-crimes-borough-market-stabbing-terror-police-a7777451.html)
Number of people killed or injured in UK terror attacks in last 12 months:
36 dead, 216 injured = 252 total

Funny how everyone ignores this lol. Gj for posting this :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 444
Original post by Lord Samosa
"I guess that as a Muslim, you are referring to the non-Muslims in here?"

So apparently because I'm Muslim I find non-Muslims vile.
As a Muslim, you consider every word in the Quran to be perfect and unchangeable. In the Quran, Allah says that disbelievers are "the worst of animals" and the "vilest of creatures".

Now, you only have two alternatives here, either
1. You think I am the "vilest of creatures", or
2. You think Allah was wrong.
Which is it?

I can't voice disgust at people always using these incidences to start scoring polictical points. With no regard for those injured/killed. Imagine how it feels for someone who has lost someone due to one of these attacks?
I am not using this incident to score political points. I am using the content of Islamic ideology to demonstrate the hypocrisy of your position.

And for some reason to some people, my opinion is invalid and I have to start defending my religion for no reason. When you can't say anything without this ******** said to you, wouldn't you feel pissed off.
Your opinion is only as valid as it is factual or supportable. And you don't have to defend your religion if you don't want to, but don't falsely accuse others just because you can't defend it.

I've raised it with the CT before, only to get ignored and not even acknowledged. I've given up, we just have to continue watching this place get swarmed by people insisting "ISIS are true Muslims" or right wing rhetoric.
Look. It is clear to anyone who has read the Quran (with sunnah and tafsir) that ISIS are Muslims.
It is also clear that they are not the only Muslims and that they are not representative of all Islam. They are merely representative of one literalist, retentionist, unmodernised interpretation .

Stopping extremist views posted to young people doesn't matter it seems.
Truth and reason are paramount. One of the problems we face is that by claiming that the Quran is infallible and immutable, and that Muhammad's example is the ultimate role model for all humanity, moderates are giving tacit support to extremists because they require those claims to give their interpretation legitimacy.
Once Islam recognises that the Quran is a historically relative document that cannot just be blindly accepted wholesale, and Muhammad was just a man of his time who did things that are no longer acceptable, then the rug is pulled from under the extremist recruiters. They will have nothing.
Original post by QE2
As a Muslim, you consider every word in the Quran to be perfect and unchangeable. In the Quran, Allah says that disbelievers are "the worst of animals" and the "vilest of creatures".

Now, you only have two alternatives here, either
1. You think I am the "vilest of creatures", or
2. You think Allah was wrong.
Which is it?

I am not using this incident to score political points. I am using the content of Islamic ideology to demonstrate the hypocrisy of your position.

Your opinion is only as valid as it is factual or supportable. And you don't have to defend your religion if you don't want to, but don't falsely accuse others just because you can't defend it.

Look. It is clear to anyone who has read the Quran (with sunnah and tafsir) that ISIS are Muslims.
It is also clear that they are not the only Muslims and that they are not representative of all Islam. They are merely representative of one literalist, retentionist, unmodernised interpretation .

Truth and reason are paramount. One of the problems we face is that by claiming that the Quran is infallible and immutable, and that Muhammad's example is the ultimate role model for all humanity, moderates are giving tacit support to extremists because they require those claims to give their interpretation legitimacy.
Once Islam recognises that the Quran is a historically relative document that cannot just be blindly accepted wholesale, and Muhammad was just a man of his time who did things that are no longer acceptable, then the rug is pulled from under the extremist recruiters. They will have nothing.

Jesus what's your problem
Reply 446
Original post by Trapz99
Number of Islamophobic attacks in the UK per year:
3.5*365 = 1277

(Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/News/uk/crime/london-bridge-attack-latest-rise-islamophobic-hate-crimes-borough-market-stabbing-terror-police-a7777451.html)
Number of people killed or injured in UK terror attacks in last 12 months:
36 dead, 216 injured = 252 total
But you are comparing apples with oranges. This is how it works.

Number of deaths and injuries due to islamophobic attack since 2005 = 3 & 10 (Note, this is actual recorded deaths and injuries, not vandalism or people being shouted at, etc, )
Number of deaths and injuries due to Islamist attack since 2005 = 92 & 950

Muslim population is about 4.5%, therefore if the Islamophobia attacks constitute less that 4.5% of the Islamist attacks, then death or injury by Islamist attack is more likely than death or injury by Islamophobic attack.
As you can see, deaths are slightly lower and injury is many times lower, therefore proving my point.
Original post by teenhorrorstory

Islam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 448
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Did you not read my post. I thought that summed it up pretty well?

Or are you referring to something else?
Original post by QE2
But you are comparing apples with oranges. This is how it works.

Number of deaths and injuries due to islamophobic attack since 2005 = 3 & 10 (Note, this is actual recorded deaths and injuries, not vandalism or people being shouted at, etc, )
Number of deaths and injuries due to Islamist attack since 2005 = 92 & 950

Muslim population is about 4.5%, therefore if the Islamophobia attacks constitute less that 4.5% of the Islamist attacks, then death or injury by Islamist attack is more likely than death or injury by Islamophobic attack.
As you can see, deaths are slightly lower and injury is many times lower, therefore proving my point.

You think only 10 people have been injured in Islamophobic attacks in the last ten years?
Reply 450
Original post by zezno
People haven't blocked that **** QE2 yet? Just do it, trust me, he's a clown
Yes indeed. Blocking is sooo much easier that having to respond to difficult questions.
I didn't know we could block people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
I didn't know we could block people

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Original post by tamil fever
I thought 2016 was **** but this year is worse.Wtf has happened to humanity

I'm really worried for 2018, if this keeps going downhill.
Reply 453
Original post by zezno
I would bet money just to prove QE2 is a lowkey closet-racist
You would lose your money, my friend.
However, I do admit to having this irrational aversion to idiots, whatever their colour.
Original post by QE2
The problem here is with the definitions.
Racism is pretty black and white (sorry, but I couldn't resist!) but Islamophobia is, by definition, impossible to define (see the OED definition of "Islamophobia - it contains two entirely different and almost contradictory elements). And as for "hate", it is an almost entirely relative and subjective concept.

The problem you face is that it is essentially about "offence" rather than anything concrete. And if you moderate on the basis of what individuals find offensive, you may as well shut down the site and go home now.

As usual, you make nuanced and elegant points. Navigating the 'right to offend' is probably the trickiest tightrope to walk.
Original post by Plasmapause
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/profile.php?do=ignorelist

I'm really worried for 2018, if this keeps going downhill.

all i know is by the time it is 2020 it's gonna be terrible
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
For what? If he hasn't broken TSR rules then he won't be banned. You can't just try to get someone banned because you disagree with them.

PRSOM.
Reply 457
Original post by I hate exams!
Hate the way people are saying this is revenge and that somehow makes it ok.
Anyone saying that it is ok to kill people as revenge for people being killed is intellectually subnormal.
"An eye for and eye makes the whole world blind", as someone once said.
Reply 458
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Still talking... Verbal diarrhoea...
Still talking...but not managed to come up with an argument yet.

Just admit it. You started typing without thinking about what any of it actually meant, didn't you?
Original post by Lord Samosa
"I guess that as a Muslim, you are referring to the non-Muslims in here?"

So apparently because I'm Muslim I find non-Muslims vile.

I can't voice disgust at people always using these incidences to start scoring polictical points. With no regard for those injured/killed. Imagine how it feels for someone who has lost someone due to one of these attacks?

And for some reason to some people, my opinion is invalid and I have to start defending my religion for no reason. When you can't say anything without this ******** said to you, wouldn't you feel pissed off.

I've raised it with the CT before, only to get ignored and not even acknowledged. I've given up, we just have to continue watching this place get swarmed by people insisting "ISIS are true Muslims" or right wing rhetoric.

Stopping extremist views posted to young people doesn't matter it seems.

I do not think it is fair to accuse the CT of ignoring concerns like this, or that we somehow tacitly accept hate speech or islamophobia. We do a lot of work to ensure that moderation is fair and balanced, respecting all points of view, some of which you might not necessarily agree with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending