The Student Room Group

MA Law UoL or GDL City Law School?

As the title says, I have an offer from University of Law to do their MA Law from scratch, and an offer from City Law School to do their GDL course. I am unsure about which option to take. I have heard that City Law School offers the most rigorous GDL and is the most highly perceived of the GDL providers, but the MA Law option at UoL is harder to get onto than their GDL course and the material more difficult. In the long run, aiming to be a barrister, what would you recommend as the better choice and why? Speed of reply is appreciated - I have only a week and a bit to decide.
Original post by TopHat
As the title says, I have an offer from University of Law to do their MA Law from scratch, and an offer from City Law School to do their GDL course. I am unsure about which option to take. I have heard that City Law School offers the most rigorous GDL and is the most highly perceived of the GDL providers, but the MA Law option at UoL is harder to get onto than their GDL course and the material more difficult. In the long run, aiming to be a barrister, what would you recommend as the better choice and why? Speed of reply is appreciated - I have only a week and a bit to decide.

Have you visited both?
Have you checked the syllabus for both?
have you talked to students from both?

Its essentially the same course. Find out what % of students from City go on to do the BPTC? Surprised you dont have BPP down there.

Theres a barrister ama thread so ask him for an opinion.
Original post by 999tigger
Have you visited both?
Have you checked the syllabus for both?
have you talked to students from both?

Its essentially the same course. Find out what % of students from City go on to do the BPTC? Surprised you dont have BPP down there.

Theres a barrister ama thread so ask him for an opinion.

Apologies, do you have a link to the AMA?

I have visited both. There didn't seem to be any specific reason to pick one from the other that you can observe in an hour's visit from the site. The syllabus is nigh identical for both, being an externally approved course. Students from City seemed more enthusiastic about their course's quality, but that was compared to the UoL GDL rather than the MA (a newish course, I think?).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TopHat
Apologies, do you have a link to the AMA?

Nope look on the forum it cant have gone far. It was within the last 24hrs.
je might say something different but I found your distinctions interesting but cant say I was convinced.
Any other perspectives are also appreciated, btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending